Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2007, 08:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

paint query

Hi folks,

I bought some paint spray can to fix some scratches and faded points (quite bad) and did it today. but it gave me patches of coarse and glossy finish. the color looks perfect now but the reflection is awful.

the paint is still kinda wet (soft). is there a way i can make it shine? in once place where there was a small patch it came perfect. but i had to do the whole trunk lid and it didn't work the way i thot it would.

PS: the can costed <5$ and I had to fix the scratch anyway. I am in no mood to go for an expensive option for this car.
Old 15th May 2007, 08:34   #2
BHPian

hey i dont know much about painting but i think you get the shine after the clear coat . so maybe you should try and put a layer of clear coa
t and then it will shine
Old 15th May 2007, 20:21   #3
BHPian

My Advice is to get some rubbing compound and some hard wax polish and give your self a work out. The rubbing compound should even it out and the polish will give it the gloss

I guess you are in US that is why you are in DIY mode?
Old 15th May 2007, 20:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
My Advice is to get some rubbing compound and some hard wax polish and give your self a work out. The rubbing compound should even it out and the polish will give it the gloss

I guess you are in US that is why you are in DIY mode?
yes, And I am planing to buy a new car anyway. This one got scratched in my last move, on the car trailer. I shud have driven it

Can/should I apply rubbing compound on my new coat of paint? or shud i try clear coat?

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 15th May 2007 at 20:27.
Old 15th May 2007, 21:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

option 1: let the paint dry, then use finest water paper and do a clear coat (tricky job coz u require access to spray paint facility for clear coat)

option 2: let the paint dry, couple of hours or max a whole day, then get rubbing compound and smoothen and even out the repaint and then wipe clean and apply good coat of wax (less tricker job)
Old 15th May 2007, 21:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I believe they have a spray can of clear coat as well in the stores.
Old 15th May 2007, 22:11   #7
Team-BHP Support

lucky you in "us of a", so get that and follow the instructions on the can or check with the shop guy
Old 21st May 2007, 07:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Vivekiny2k,

When using a spray can, you can kindof control whether you get a matt or glossy finish depending on how far you hold the can from the surface you are painting.

If you hold the can far away, the particles dry in the air and then stick to the surface, giving a matt finish.

If you hold the can closer, they hit the surface relatively wetter, giving a glossier finish.

Test this out first and see if it makes a difference (inside the boot / somewhere out of sight)

Secondly, you could try sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper (600++) and then spraying another coat on.

Thridly, give a clearcoat spray on a try.

cya
R
Old 21st May 2007, 08:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Vivekiny2k,

When using a spray can, you can kindof control whether you get a matt or glossy finish depending on how far you hold the can from the surface you are painting.

If you hold the can far away, the particles dry in the air and then stick to the surface, giving a matt finish.

If you hold the can closer, they hit the surface relatively wetter, giving a glossier finish.

Thridly, give a clearcoat spray on a try.

cya
R
yup, i figured that out by trial and error. and i did a clearcoat too. procedures say now i shud do a rubbing compound and then wax. but then it would be too shiny for the rest of the car. so i will stop for now.

will try finishing the whole car sometime later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks