Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 21:39   #1

Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts

In my Honda City ZX 2017, found out this morning that a pair of connecting wires are cut, likely as a result of rats. I would really appreciate and would be of great help if you can look at the attached photos and tell me:

1. What wires are those that have been cut ? (circled in red line in photo numbered 1 with arrow showing the connection )
2. What is required to fix it? Just the cables or a bigger part?
3. Can I have those broken wires patched instead of replacing the whole part?
4. How much would be the cost for the parts (and estimated labour, or is it a DIY) ?

Further, I noticed that my malfunction indicator light (MIL) on the dashboard was coming on since abt 10 days. Today I opened up the hood to just check after washing my car and found the cut cables. I feel like the MIL and broken wires are related.

4. Is it logical to first get these broken wires replaced before going for OBD scanning to read the code. ?

The manual says that the MIL comes on if there is a problem with the Engine Emission Control system, as in screenshot in photo 3. However I have no good idea of all the parts under the hood.

So, I would rather be a better informed owner before I take it to my dealer to get the diagnostic code to begin with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance. I cannot afford to spend thousands on this at this time unless it becomes necessary. Magnum Honda in Bangalore says it costs Rs.520 just to run the OBD scanner to pull the code.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-hondacityzx2017_1.jpeg  

Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-hondacityzx2017_2.jpeg  

Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-hondacityzx2017_3.jpeg  

SunshineDad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 08:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDad View Post
I noticed that my malfunction indicator light (MIL) on the dashboard was coming on since abt 10 days
Welcome to the "Rodent - MIL Club". I don't think there are many bhpians who have been spared such experiences by rodents.

Now, I'm assuming that except for the MIL on, the car was performing fine, and that is why you noticed this only after 10 days. If yes, then it isn't a serious, but having seen that there is something wrong, best is to get it done.

One question. Is the portion marked white in the following pic part of the wiring harness that has been clipped? How many wires do you see in this cut harness? You might be able to salvage these wires and connect the same wires back to the clipped ends, matching the colours.
Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-hondacityzx2017_2_r1.jpeg

Quote:
1. What wires are those that have been cut ? (circled in red line in photo numbered 1 with arrow showing the connection )
2. What is required to fix it? Just the cables or a bigger part?
3. Can I have those broken wires patched instead of replacing the whole part?
4. How much would be the cost for the parts (and estimated labour, or is it a DIY) ?
It is hard to say from the pic on what those wires exactly are, but the good news is that it can be easily fixed. The MIL has come on because some input to the control unit has lost continuity. I don't know if your car is in warranty, and if it is, Honda will anyways not honor this case since it is a rodent attack. Here is my way forward if you want to go the DIY route.

1. Look at a perfect City ZX of same vintage and take a pic of exactly the same harness that has been damaged in your car.

2. Look at how many wires run through that harness and see which of those in your car have got damaged.

3. If only two are damaged, get two wires preferably of the same colour from an auto electrical store or better still from an auto scrap dealer who has salvaged wiring with them. If you can't get wires of the same colour, you can use any 2 colours but make sure you connect the right colour to the right broken ends. Eg. when you're ready to connect a blue wire you've just got, connect it to both the broken pink ends.

4. Disconnect your car battery negative terminal

5. Build the continuity of each of the wires that have been clipped by cutting off some insulation at the clipped end, connecting the new wire to both the clipped ends, and taping the connection using insulation tape.

6.After the wires are connected, use an electrical corrugated sleeve (the black one with a slit) to protect the wiring.

Once this is all done, connect the battery negative and you should hopefully see the MIL disappear after the ECU learns that all is well. It might take a few minutes of driving before the MIL goes away. If it doesn't go away, get a scan done.

I am attaching a pic of how one wire to a fuel gauge was found cut in my car, and how it was built back using another bit of wire, and finally covered with a sleeve.
Attached Thumbnails
Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-20210422_140455.jpg  

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd August 2021 at 08:21.
vigsom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:00   #3

Re: Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts

As you guessed, the car is running fine without any apparent problems. However the light bar above the odometer (shown in attached pic 7) which is a visual indicator of "fuel efficient driving" stays blue all the time while driving, while it used to turn green when car was running without abnormal braking or acceleration. So, this is another thing I noticed only after driving with the broken cable.

Now to answer your question: Yes, the portion you marked white is a part of the wiring harness. Actually, it is the casing(tube) that enclosed the wires. There are only two wires - one white and one purple - that you see in the photo. BTW, thanks for looking at the correct photo (no.2 that I had meant to point to instead of 1).

Thanks for those detailed instructions 1-6. That makes sense and agrees with what I was thinking I could do, i.e connect those clipped wires as a first step before getting a scan. I will find a small auto shop to get that done (easier than trying to do it myself without the tools, though it's easy for some folks).

One more question: Can the cabling connectors shown in pics 4-6 be removed and new ones (along with the whole cable of course) be plugged in? Basically, are they replaceable?

Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2021, 16:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, this can be fixed by matching the colours codes. But keep this as a last resort. Best is to get a new harness and replace the entire piece of affected wiring. No headache of matching and connecting wires. Spares for this model are easily available and you should get it either at Honda ASC or even Boodmo.

Before changing the harness, just disconnect the battery. Safe for the car and helps to clear the fault code.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd August 2021 at 16:34.
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

MAF sensor harness I believe and it should have 4 wires. You can go ahead and repair it but take proper precautions mentioned in the above post (color matching, protection sleeves, etc)

Or if you prefer to change the entire harness, it should cost around 12k for engine room harness

Engine bay: Need help to identify broken wires and connecting parts-capture.jpg
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 23:09   #6

Thanks for that info. Sounds like the harness is expensive. At least I now have a good idea and options from the above replies. Thank you all guys.
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineDad View Post
Magnum Honda in Bangalore says it costs Rs.520 just to run the OBD scanner to pull the code.
I'd personally never go for this as I can buy my own OBD2 Scanner for the same price. Attaching a link where you can buy one.
https://www.amazon.in/SPANTER%C2%AE-Reader-bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B08GZBHB2Y/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=obd2+scanner+for+indi an+cars&qid=1629682827&sr=8-7
Old 23rd August 2021, 18:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
I'd personally never go for this as I can buy my own OBD2 Scanner for the same price. Attaching a link where you can buy one.
https://www.amazon.in/SPANTER%C2%AE-Reader-bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B08GZBHB2Y/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=obd2+scanner+for+indi an+cars&qid=1629682827&sr=8-7
Aravind, appreciate your thoughtful suggestion. I am a Amazon fan but didn't occur to me that I could look for such automotive stuff as well. That sure would be good to invest than spend it on one-time scan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks