Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 16:27   #1
BHPian

Steering vibration on a Tata Harrier

I have a 2021 May manufactured XT+. Recently noticed that there is a slight amount of steering vibration between 105-120 Kmph. Below and above it feels normal. The said vibration only felt when steering is held very lightly, with one hand without holding tight. With both hands on the wheel, it's barely perceivable. Checked this on a long highway drive, behaviour is consistent.

Haven't noticed this till i got alignment done at 5k, could be due to the fact that the only long long run till then was in running in period and did not attempt much 100+. Major reason for alignment was left pull, which is still present though slightly less in nature. Alignment was performed outside, not at the ASC.

Second service is scheduled this weekend, wondering should i report the above behaviour at ASC and demand a solution (don't want to get it worsen though). Anyone else noticed something similar ?
maddyg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Steering vibration on a Tata Harrier

If your brand new 20 lac + car is pulling to the left then yes please do report this to the ASC and demand a resolution or a replacement
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Is the issue there from day 1 or recently started?
If it's started recently, probably the balance weights from the wheel would have fallen. You may need to do wheel balancing.

How many kms has the car run? Even if the car has run 4000 kms, there is a good chance that balance would have gone off. You can do wheel balancing and get back the original stability.

Suggest to get balancing done outside with local wheel shop and avoid dealer for this work.
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 17:14   #4
BHPian

This could be because of bad alignment or tyre wall bulge/damage also. Do check with a good tyre care shop. I'd this problem in my Vista and Manza and in both cases it turned out to be defective tyres. Had to run around with OEM of the tyre and get discount/credit to redeem in tyre shop while purchasing new tyre.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyg View Post
Major reason for alignment was left pull, which is still present though slightly less in nature. Alignment was performed outside, not at the ASC.
If a new car is pulling to the left, with not many kilometres under it's belt, you should definitely bring it to the notice of the ASC. This can be a wheel balancing issue, but you should get this rectified immediately.
IamNikhil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:36   #6
Team-BHP Support

If the vibration is there at a specific speed range it points to wheel balancing. Please get the wheel balancing done and check. If the issue persists then it needs to be investigated further.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:38   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This looks like a wheel balancing issue. Hitting a pothole at high speeds can easily cause something like this. I personally never rely on the ASC for alignment and balancing. These are best done at your reputed neighbourhood tire shop.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Yes, left pull I'm going to report anyway. More concerned *about the steering vibration at certain speed*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Is the issue there from day 1 or recently started?
If it's started recently, probably the balance weights from the wheel would have fallen. You may need to do wheel balancing.
Could see in another thread balancing as possible cause of steering vibration. But wondering could that happen only at certain speed, in this case from 105 to 120. Above and below it feels normal. Found this to be very consistent over a distance of 400kms.

Noticed this post first alignment at 5k, before didn't attempt much of 100+kmph driving. Now the odo is at 8k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
This could be because of bad alignment or tyre wall bulge/damage also. Do check with a good tyre care shop.
I will try with a good tyre shop for a balancing and alignment again. Can't see any visible damage to tyres yet. It's just 4 months old at 8k, haven't had any incident of side wall impact yet for possible damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
If a new car is pulling to the left, with not many kilometres under it's belt, you should definitely bring it to the notice of the ASC. This can be a wheel balancing issue, but you should get this rectified immediately.
Left pull is been reported before for brand new harriers, some where resolved easily, some took some steering calibration if i remember correctly. Will put this on record anyways. I'm more concerned about the steering vibration at certain speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If the vibration is there at a specific speed range it points to wheel balancing.
Great, this really helps as i started to notice it post a wheel alignment at 5k. Will try with a reputed tyre shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This looks like a wheel balancing issue. Hitting a pothole at high speeds can easily cause something like this.
Let me try another alignment outside ASC. Agree with ASC - could be hit or miss.

Note from Support: Please quote only relevant sections of posts. Use the QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE option to respond to multiple posts.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th September 2021 at 22:36. Reason: Typos fixed. Posts merged. Quotes trimmed. See note.
maddyg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:32   #9
BHPian

Re: Steering vibration on a Tata Harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This looks like a wheel balancing issue. Hitting a pothole at high speeds can easily cause something like this. I personally never rely on the ASC for alignment and balancing. These are best done at your reputed neighbourhood tire shop.
+1 to that. If ASC is unable to rectify this, get it corrected via a regional reputed tyre dealer. It should be an easy task for them if balancing is the reason.

That said, I had similar issue in Creta wherein steering shook between speeds of 90-110 kmph only. ASC resolved it by upto 80%. External tyre shop took care of the rest of 20%.

Try simple balancing solution before going forward with extensive diagnosis. Should cost ~400 INR only.
sarav100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 06:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
+1 to that.

Try simple balancing solution before going forward with extensive diagnosis. Should cost ~400 INR only.
Tried balancing and alignment yesterday. Slight left pull is still preset, though it has come down. Haven't had a chance to check the vibration yet.
Old 12th September 2021, 11:03   #11
BHPian

I'm a 2021 Tata Harrier owner. I have also faced the left pulling issue.

I recommend you to take your car to the Tata ASC, show them the issue, and get the wheel balancing + tyre rotation done from them only. Don't go to any other tyre shop, and preferably, don't tell the ASC folks that you've been to one previously (it'll work only if your tyres don't have the weights stuck on them).

The ASC would manage to sort the issue, but only temporarily. I got this issue rectified when my car had run 4000 km. In my case, I had first taken the car to a reputed tyre shop, but they didn't fix the issue. Then I read about multiple posts of this problem on Team-BHP, and took my car to the service center. They sorted the problem. They said that wheel rotation solved the issue, and it actually did solve the issue. There was no leftwards pull. But now my car is at 6500 km, and the issue is back again.

I'll report this issue again when I take my car to them during the 1 year/15000 km servicing. Don't want to unnecessarily take that headache now. Right now, I've learnt to live with it.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 12th September 2021 at 11:06.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 23:33   #12
BHPian

I have faced this issue in my BMW. Vibration at certain speeds as another member suggested points to wheels requiring rebalancing, a misalignment or damage to a tyre. I found 2 wheels to be bent in my case.

The other potential more expensive defects causing this can relate to a faulty steering rack or damaged axles. I would recommend getting the car up on a lift and inspecting the axle boots for any damage. Dont let this turn into a witch hunt, go by process of elimination after inspecting each area. Replace parts only where necessary else that can lead to new problems.

I would recommend going in this order

1) check tires for damage/buldges/uneven wear
2) check your wheels for damage (are they bent?)
3) check if all weights are present
4) rebalance wheels if needed
5) get an alignment check and realign if needed
6) proceed to an underbody inspection if none of the above resolves the issue.

Hope this helps.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:50   #13
BHPian

Nothing to worry. It’s only a wheel balancing issue. Usually new tyres will set on the alloys in the running in period and the balancing is bound to change. The ASC might not be competent enough since this job doesn’t give high profit. Most of the ASC’s don’t even know how to do this simple task, from my experience of vehicle ownership. Just go to a good tyre outlet and ask them to do the balancing of all 4 wheels and if so also rotate the wheels front to back or cross wise depending on the tyre pattern if it’s unidirectional then front to back is easy to follow. Just carry out balancing and rotation every 5k or 7.5k km and you will never have any problems plus all 4 wheels will have even wear.
As far as a slight pull to the left it is absolutely fine, there are too many factors from the design of the steering assembly to the banking of the road you are driving on. If it is excessive pulling then only go for wheel alignment.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 12:20   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyg View Post

Could see in another thread balancing as possible cause of steering vibration. But wondering could that happen only at certain speed, in this case from 105 to 120. Above and below it feels normal. Found this to be very consistent over a distance of 400kms.
Its mostly an unbalanced wheel.
It happens only at a certain speed range because of Resonance.
The unbalanced wheel in that speed range is causing vibration at a certain frequency (depends on rotation speed of the wheel and hence on vehicle speed).
In this speed range, the vibration frequency is very near the natural frequency of the vehicle (or some part of the vehicle) and thus causes resonance. Basically the vibrating wheel is "synchronized" with the vehicle body vibrations and the vibrations intensify enough that you can feel them on the steering wheel.
It doesn't happen above or below the speed range because at those speeds the frequency of the wheel is not near the natural frequency and hence the vibrations caused get naturally dampened by the vehicle body.

Resonance can be pretty destructive if not damped. They can very quickly increase to a large magnitude and cause some part to break. There will be features built-in to the vehicle body which will dampen the vibrations (experts can provide more details).
However you can get the wheels balanced to remove the source of vibrations.

Last edited by arijitkanrar : 13th September 2021 at 12:29. Reason: added info
arijitkanrar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:44   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I'm a 2021 Tata Harrier owner. I have also faced the left pulling issue.

But now my car is at 6500 km, and the issue is back again.

I'll report this issue again when I take my car to them during the 1 year/15000 km servicing. Don't want to unnecessarily take that headache now. Right now, I've learnt to live with it.
Got the alignment/balancing done a day before the second service on 11th. ASC checked and agreed the balancing/alignment was fine. However they resolved the left pull - claims by steering calibration.
maddyg is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks