Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2007, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

How About A Detachable AC Switch?

Recently, I had parked my car at a parking lot in the Nehru Place office complex. Since there were too many cars in the lot, I had to leave the car key with the attendant. This is the usual practice in congested parking lots of Delhi. When I came back after finishing my work (which was sooner than expected), I found the parking guy merrily sitting in the car enjoying the cool blast from the AC. He denied that the AC was on but the water droplets on the ground below the condenser gave him away.

I've heard similar stories from others also. Sometimes I've personally seen these guys doing it on other cars. Often, the car drivers also indulge in this practice while the 'sahab' is away.

From the owner's point of view, probably the biggest problem with this practice is the extra fuel that is consumed in running the car engine to run the AC. Petrol costs quite a bit these days. Also, it can lead to overheating of the engine, besides wear and tear of the parts.

One way of dealing with this problem could be to have a detachable AC switch that you simply remove when you hand over your car to someone. A bit like the head unit cover. Every switch could have a unique code number that must be 'read' by the socket where you insert the switch. Any mismatch resulting from using another car's detachable switch would ensure that the AC can't be turned on.

I'm sure it is not technically impossible to design and fabricate such a switch and wonder if any manufacturer has offered such a feature. May be the techies at team-bhp could give it a try.

What say guys?

Last edited by directinjection : 18th May 2007 at 16:34.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Take out your AC fuse, na.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice idea v1p3r but I guess putting a switch in glovebox or some place hidden would be more convenient
Old 18th May 2007, 16:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Some cars have the fusebox in the passenger section, IIRC. But offhand, this is what I could think of.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:09   #5
Team-BHP Support

This should be a simple enough wiring modification to carry out. Simply install a switch in series connection to the AC button. Place the switch in a location not visible easily, or you could even assign a blank accessory switch to do this function, as chances are the parking attendant will not experiment with all the switches to get the AC on. He will simply move to the next car once he realises that your AC "does not work".
Old 18th May 2007, 17:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

V1P3R has an excellent solution! I would do it if I were you even if it took me some time to do it. But I would never leave my car with the parking fellows. When I visit Maker Chambers in Bombay I park at crossroads although I shell some extra Rs. but it is worth the cost. The parking lots are always full and the guys care a damn about your cars.

EVO6's brand new Civic had a bang which he didn't even notice since he left late in the night from a prominent multiplex in Pune and he hardly noticed it in the dark but it was lethal. Never trust your car keys to the valet guys.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:12   #7
BHPian

I had an autocop XS on my old car (zen) with a 3-button remote. The left/right buttons were for lock and unlock, but the centre button was an AC deactivate switch! found this out by mistake once - the button got pressed un-intentionally and after that the AC mysteriously stopped working (although the fan worked as before). To this day I'm not sure if this is a standard feature or whether the installer at mandovi wired it this way
Old 18th May 2007, 17:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

This device exists from 20 years ago as far as I know. My uncle had a retrofitted A/C in his Fiat as well as M800 and both had a key swith for the A/C 'on-off'.

to turn the A/C on, you insert a key and turn clockwise and leave the key there. when you leave, turn the key back pop it in your pocket and walk away.

Removing the fuse is a messy affair and fuses are not designed to be taken out and put back 100 times.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Removing the fuse is a messy affair and fuses are not designed to be taken out and put back 100 times.

Ya the fuse holder will get damage if it is removed so may times....the best option is to go to a good ac mechanic and ask him to put the switch directly to the wire which is going to the AC clutch....simple and easy.....
Old 18th May 2007, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmmmmmmm.. Looking at the title, I thought this was a thread about a mechanism to pre-start the a/c when you come back to the car parked in the hot sun. :(
Old 18th May 2007, 18:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

off topic, running the engine in a stationary cars can cause a lot of other problems, including carbon monoxide poisoning.

I am not suggesting you install a suicide button to be turned on when giving it to the parking lot guys though
Old 18th May 2007, 18:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
running the engine in a stationary cars can cause a lot of other problems, including carbon monoxide poisoning.
I think this will happen only if its parked in closed space like garage. Should not be a problem in open places.
Old 18th May 2007, 18:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think this will happen only if its parked in closed space like garage. Should not be a problem in open places.
if there is a small leak into passenger compartment/obstructions on the ground, stationary car will have much worse consequences than a running one.
Old 18th May 2007, 18:49   #14
BHPian

In the good old days, we used to have a separate lock and key for the A/C. (it's like an accessory switch, where you put the key in and turn it ON to run the A/C). My Dad's contessa still has a separate key that acts as the A/C switch. I believe it should be easy to do and convenient in situations like these.
Old 18th May 2007, 18:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if there is a small leak into passenger compartment/obstructions on the ground, stationary car will have much worse consequences than a running one.
Small leak\obstruction ?? What if its already taking air from outside & not in circulation mode ? Closed\basement parking i can agree but open air I really doubt.

Most Viewed