Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 14:59   #16
BHPian

re: Rolling the windows down before turning on the A/C

I do not roll down the windows or open the sunroof, as I prefer to remote start the car for 10 minutes using Bluelink which conditions the internal temperature as per my liking.
iamitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 15:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
I do not roll down the windows or open the sunroof, as I prefer to remote start the car for 10 minutes using Bluelink which conditions the internal temperature as per my liking.
I think the concern here is about gases from the plastic and upholstery accumulated in the car because of the heat and not the heat itself.
lina is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 17:58   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
I think the concern here is about gases from the plastic and upholstery accumulated in the car because of the heat and not the heat itself.
Wouldn't the accumulated gases be circulated out by the car's ac?
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 18:27   #19
BHPian

Fun fact - must older cars with remote have a hidden features, if you press the unlock key for a few seconds, all windows open to half level. Successfully tried this on 2007 Accord & 2012 City.

Unfortunately, no option to close then all with the lock button on remote.
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:27   #20
BHPian

Ideally you also need to think about should you be turning on the AC as soon as you start the car or should you do it later once the engine is a bit warmed up.

What I usually do is drive for a minute or two with the windows down and then turn on the AC and put the windows up.
theqca is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:37   #21
BHPian

I had seen this tip somewhere that if you have the space, keep the other side door open and then open and shut the door on the opposite side. The gust of air pushed by the door will remove most of the hot air inside. (although I cannot implement this all the time)

The other one is keeping fan mode on for a minute or two with the window down and then rolling up the windows and starting on the AC.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:22   #22
BHPian

I live in Gurgaon where the dust + heat is unbearable during most months, in summers the ambient temps outside hit 45 degrees and in cabin temps in the sun cross 55 degrees. Ideally you want to park in a covered garage away from the sun as it leads to melting dashboards and even if it doesn’t melt your dash it can cause a lot of toxic fumes to be released from all the plastics and leather in the inteiror, sunlight also fades your paint over time and yellows out headlights over the years. Rolling down windows is a the only option short term if you’ve parked in the open and want to expel the hot air inside, you can also try pumping it out by swinging the doors repeatedly, works well. But long term, covered garage is the only way I see.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:37   #23
BHPian

When we used to park our cars in open parking places in huge company parking space, in evening while going home, it was unbearable to simply enter the car. Lowering windows & venting out hot air was almost a norm. We used to call it our part of evening car starting SOP. So Yes, lowering windows is good rather essential practice.
Vijay T is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 21:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Own diesel cars which need 1-2 mins of idling so I take these 1-2 mins to work on the trapped air and circulate it with fresh air.

1. Start

Roll down all 4 windows
Turn on the car
Turn on the AC
Turn off re circulation mode
Idle for 1-2 mins
Drive the car till outside the society
Roll up the windows

2. Finish

Roll down the windows
Switch off the AC
Fan at high speed with foot duct flow mode
Idling for 1-2 mins
Turn off the fan
Turn off the engine
Roll up the windows along with car lock with key(VW)

Are you really doing this every day, every time?? Seriously??

I do roll down my driver-side or both the front windows as soon as I start running and then after few minutes, I roll it back, but not so meticulously!

Maybe it would be a good idea to roll down the back windows as well for few mins.
But when I park my car back to my parking spot (open but in a shade), I do not tend to follow any protocol as you mentioned..!
basuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 01:12   #25
BHPian

I too belive in the concerns around benzene fumes out of the interior plastics. I have the following SOPs around this -

1. When starting from my building's basement parking ( or any shaded parking space for that matter) I roll down the windows for a few minutes before starting the ac.

2. When the car has been parked in hot sun for a while, I start the car with blowers in full blast and open all five doors (yes the rear hatch too) and leave it like that for some time- shorter if its patcularly windy outside, else longer. During this time no one is allowed to enter the cabin. I know it sounds crazy and in all likelihood looks crazy to people around, but its just one of those few things one can do to avoid unnecessary exposure to carcinogens.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 10:38   #26
BHPian

I always (except in case of raining scenario) move the car with windows down for about half a km / 2 or 3 mins before switching on the AC. Similarly I also switch off the AC and run fan only for a min before switching off the engine. Reasons:
1. The smell / odor if any gets out.
2. I have read some articles that plastics if placed under direct sunlight, get heated to emit some carcinogenic particles, which are to be blown out before inhaling. (Dono if it fully true or fully false, but no harm in traveling with windows down for few seconds, so I follow)
3. AC doesn't have to be overworked to match the set temperature
4. My first car was a Premier 118NE and I have felt the engine to behave better if AC is switched ON a little later after engine warming up. So that had become my habit too.

From most of the posts above, rolling down the windows for few seconds is the most common phenomenon and I do support / suggest the same too..
ChandraSekarMN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:31   #27

I have been using the sunroof in my XUV500 every time my car is parked in the sun. AC is set at 22 degrees in auto mode. Just open the sunroof and switch ON the AC. The hot air will move upwards and I have seen that the cabin cools faster. No need to roll the windows down.

My sunroof has 2 modes, one in which its opens completely by sliding backwards and another in which the rear part of sunroof opens a bit allowing air to go out. I mostly use the second mode.
Abhinav1586 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 12:48   #28
BHPian

What is do is the below.

1. Turn on car, turn on AC, keep the blower in 3
2. Roll down all windows and start driving.
3. After speeding up to 20+kmph, I'll turn off re-circulation mode.
4. All hot air escapes and car begins to cool within 3-4 mins.
5. Turn on re-circulation and close all windows and adjust blower to 2 or 1 depending on external temperature.

I never turn off re-circulation while the car is stand still as it may pickup small leaves, dust or God forbid small insects which might be near the vent.
emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:46   #29
BHPian

Nice thread.

I think it will be a good idea to add a poll to see by what percentage the window-roll-down group wins.

Under normal parking:

I roll down both the front windows, drive for about 30 seconds to a minute or so before closing them again.

After parking under direct sun-light:

I roll down all the windows, drive for a minute or until I feel the hot air has all gone out.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

With the tropical sun beating down on the car, the last thing I would want is a sunroof. However, in a cooler country, where a car interior can still get very, very hot, in strong sun, it was wonderful. Open sunroof; open a door or two; hot air rises; whoosh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
These days, my Polo is parked out in the open during the day, and I cannot thank enough VW, for being able to roll down windows from remote before I walk into the oven.
Also having a Polo, I do the same. The remote range is quite good: as long as I can see the car, for security, I can open those windows from some way away.

And... this is something not to overthink. Why ask the AC to cool very hot air, when one can simply let in some cooler air to begin with.

I almost never even touch the AC control. It is on all the time, temperature at a number that, on auto, works for us. wife and I control the airflow from the vents. One touch of the auto button (it is 'climate control,' which, even on a humble Polo, is a useful step up from simple AC) returns to normal running.

An exception is when the car (or we, on returning to it) need serious cooling. Then I'll turn the AC+fan to max, and also use the controls to blow on our feet.

I don't think that recycle mode is the healthiest thing. But I also don't think that the AC units are beefed up sufficiently to work in the (South) Indian heat without it. And, hey, the dust! But, if I or my wife have to sit in the parked car for some time, that recycle does get turned off.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks