Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2021, 01:06   #1
BHPian

HID kit malfunction - Ground wire hot

Hi

I am using Philips genuine 35W HID kit on Grand i10 petrol. The lights have been working fine for four years.

Recently, the lights turn off randomly; when I check, the ground wire connecting the harness to the car body is extremely hot.

Please suggest how to rectify this problem.

Thanks
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 07:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: HID kit malfunction - Ground wire hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurbhageria View Post
Hi

I am using Philips genuine 35W HID kit on Grand i10 petrol. The lights have been working fine for four years.

Recently, the lights turn off randomly; when I check, the ground wire connecting the harness to the car body is extremely hot.

Thanks
Is the wire hot throughout its length, or at the place where it is connected to the chassis?

If the former, this could mean that there is an overload (faulty bulb or relay). You will have to change the faulty component.

If the later, it could be a loose connection in the connection between the wire and the chassis. Check for any loose connection in the crimping between the wire and the terminal, or a loose nut or screw that fastens the terminal to the chassis. You could also remove the terminal from the chassis, sand off the contact area to expose the chassis and fasten the terminal again.

Last edited by graaja : 20th September 2021 at 07:40.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:12   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Hi

I am using Philips genuine 35W HID kit

Thanks
Check the inline fuse holder. Fuse seating gets loose with time leading to intermittent power.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:18   #4
BHPian

I checked the fuse and holder. They seem fine.

Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It looks like a short or an overload (that's what causes the wire to heat up) somewhere in the HID wiring harness. I would strongly recommend getting this looked into and resolved before it becomes a fire hazard. You really don't want to take a risk.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 09:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Is the wire hot throughout its length, or at the place where it is connected to the chassis?

If the former, this could mean that there is an overload (faulty bulb or relay). You will have to change the faulty component.

If the later, it could be a loose connection in the connection between the wire and the chassis. Check for any loose connection in the crimping between the wire and the terminal, or a loose nut or screw that fastens the terminal to the chassis. You could also remove the terminal from the chassis, sand off the contact area to expose the chassis and fasten the terminal again.
It's hot throughout, burning hot. The terminal connecting the chassis is normal.

I also heard continuous clicking ("krrrrrrrrr") for 2-3 seconds. That could be the relay.

Thanks for the reply, I'll update this post with the fix.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It looks like a short or an overload (that's what causes the wire to heat up) somewhere in the HID wiring harness. I would strongly recommend getting this looked into and resolved before it becomes a fire hazard. You really don't want to take a risk.
Yes, that's my concern. I'll get it checked soon.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:26   #8
BANNED

Quote:
I checked the fuse and holder. They seem fine.

Thanks
Did you try powering up the lights and wiggle the holder? If the lights don't flicker, it's fine. It took a while for me to isolate similar problem because visually everything looked fine.

Cheers
Old 20th September 2021, 16:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Did you try powering up the lights and wiggle the holder? If the lights don't flicker, it's fine. It took a while for me to isolate similar problem because visually everything looked fine.

Cheers
Hi

I did try wiggling the wires to check for loose or damaged connections.

The light flickers when I move the ground wire, especially when it gets hot. Additionally, the fuse on the harness is also getting very hot.
Old 27th October 2021, 07:58   #10
BHPian

I got the system fixed a week after posting, apologies for not updating the forum

The positive wire was the culprit. It's battery terminal and fuse socket connectors were corroded, leading to excessive current draw.

That wire, being much thicker than ground, wasn't getting as hot as the latter.

Got a new positive connector crimped to the wire and had the series fuse holder replaced. The system is in order now.

Thank you all.
ankurbhageria is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks