Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 13:40   #1
BHPian

Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved

Dear BHPians,
I need guidance related to my Micra Nissan Diesel XV 2011 model, 1,45,000 Km run. The car is being used by my father who drives it locally and is chauffeured around on long trips.
There is check engine light which comes up once in a while followed by oil indicator light and the engine shuts down. Wait for 4-5 mins the lights disappear and the car can be re-started and then keeps running. This usually happens on long trips, anywhere between 2-4 times in a 700km trip. I got the issue checked at FNG who was unable to find a solution and suggested diagnosis at a ASC. The ASC's OBD tracked down the following issues

Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved-d0aa0c25b7dd486fa16ba4ed8b602b45.jpg

Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved-e1ab28724c4646b6a5ae1d6a81fe9ead.jpg

Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved-d16bf59cc5f04f949cbc545ff044b805.jpg

The ASC suggested changing among other parts, ECU & BCU, at an estimated cost of 1,20,000 INR.

Now, this is the real issue; the cost of replacement is more than the resale value of the vehicle.

My query is
1. Can these electronic parts (ECU BCU etc) be repair? If yes, where in NCR? How reliable is the work done?
2. Is it advisable to get them swapped with ECU & BCU from scrapped cars? If yes, where? I was suggested to check in Mayapuri, New Delhi for old ECU/BCU.
3. Can I continue running the vehicle with these issues? Can this be a recipe for a major disaster in near future?

I intend to keep this car for another 5 years, provided these issues can be sorted and the car remains trouble free thereafter. Else I will prefer to trade it in for a new C2 segment vehicle (Drooling over Astor and 5th Gen City for some time)

Thanks and regards
Bravo

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2021 at 14:07. Reason: More than 2 smiles used. Thanks.
bravo82in is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:15   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The ASC suggested changing among other parts, ECU & BCU, at an estimated cost of 1,20,000 INR.
Go to an independent garage. If indeed any major parts like the ECU etc. are busted, get used / refurbished ones from the market. I got my Civic's ABS unit for 12k (from a scrap car) when the dealer pricing was 60k.

Quote:
Can these electronic parts (ECU BCU etc) be repair? If yes, where in NCR? How reliable is the work done?
Rajender Khan (The ECM & Electronics Guy - Rajender (Khan Market, New Delhi))

More than anything, you first need to go to an independent garage to properly diagnose your issue. Am not able to agree with the dealer's diagnosis. Look up suggestions in the Team-BHP Directory.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:34   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Check engine light comes up, then oil indicator light, Engine shuts down. EDIT: Issue resolved

Call up this guy:
Alok 092113 11576. He's in Noida.

He was my fng guy for the tucson. That one had an issue with the ECU close to end of life, and eventually was fixed by opening up the entire unit, reworking some connections and soldering etc. Cost me about 10k, but worked without any issue for about the 7-8 months that the car was with me before I had to let it go.

Do give him my reference, and of the tucson. He'll know.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 11:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Oil indicator turns up if oil level is high or low. Engine light come ON due to multiple reasons. So, I think, either engine sensor or oil level sensor would be the first thing to be checked. If both of them are working fine, their cables need to be checked for rodents attack. If cables are also fine, then, you can go for further major surgery.

Most of the times, these cables and sensors would be the culprits.

Did you leave the car for service recently? If yes, check if right engine oil was filled and to right level

Last edited by gkveda : 9th October 2021 at 11:47.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
That is a lot of faults. Often when you have many fauly codes, they are interconnected. I fixed a car once. There were 8 fault codes all connected to the fuel delivery system.

The owner replaced the MAF and the car still did not start.

I replaced the fuel pump relay and deleted the error codes. The car started and has been running since.

I would try to get a second opinion from an independant workshop before you replace the ECU and BCU. I doubt that both can break down at the same time. It is like puncturing all 4 wheels at the same time.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 9th October 2021 at 14:22.
Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 14:50   #6
BHPian

That's a lot of errors. The first though is to check for faulty sensors. My advice would be to find another FNG to diagnose the issue, and if at all they can't and you want to go with the ASC's diagnosis - you can take that report to an FNG and have those major parts replaced for a much lower amount. ASC's will charge heavy premiums on these parts.
Old 10th October 2021, 13:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ASC's OBD tracked down...
My query is
1. Can these electronic parts (ECU BCU etc) be repair? If yes, where in NCR? How reliable is the work done?
ECMs & BCMs are repairable to a large extent, and there are many folks in the NCR who do it. There's the one GTO pointed out, though I haven't been to him for some years...
And there is also another one I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Suggest that you go and meet Mr. Arvind Rampal at New Rampal Motors, 27 Nehru Nagar Market, Ring Road, New Delhi 110065 (9810150100). He runs a Bosch Scanning Centre, and would be able to best advise you about what those error codes are, and what corrective measures to take. Trust me, he is not your average roadside joker with a Chinese scanner - his stuff is state-of-the-art, and his knowledge is way beyond anything I have seen in this city yet. In fact, he teaches the service centre guys of all OEMs how to use their scanners, where Bosch diagnostic and control systems are concerned (that includes M&M systems).

For the sake of making a pun, let me say that he is the Bosch!
Hope this helps.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th October 2021 at 13:39.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 08:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Go to an independent garage. If indeed any major parts like the ECU etc. are busted, get used / refurbished ones from the market. I got my Civic's ABS unit for 12k (from a scrap car) when the dealer pricing was 60k.
Look up suggestions in the Team-BHP Directory.
Thanks, the idea of referring to Team BHP directory didn't cross my mind. If required used parts make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Call up this guy. Alok 09211311576. He's in Noida.
Spoke to him, he knows you quite well. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Oil indicator turns up if oil level is high or low. Engine light come ON due to multiple reasons. So, I think, either engine sensor or oil level sensor would be the first thing to be checked. If both of them are working fine, their cables need to be checked for rodents attack. If cables are also fine, then, you can go for further major surgery.

Most of the times, these cables and sensors would be the culprits.

Did you leave the car for service recently? If yes, check if right engine oil was filled and to right level
Thanks. I feel that should be the right approach. Sensors>>cables>>ECU. How ever Nissan ASC is doing it in reverse order. Not just that they opened up the AC and suggested part replacement there and after a test drive added steering parts to the list. They wanted to replace the ECU and BCU first then open up the engine to look for error code P0089 and P0170 (Pic one). Thats when my father and driver developed cold feet and I sort guidance here. The car had gone for service recently but oil level is upto the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
That is a lot of faults.
I would try to get a second opinion from an independent workshop before you replace the ECU and BCU.
Thanks, a second opinion will be of great help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
That's a lot of errors. The first though is to check for faulty sensors. My advice would be to find another FNG to diagnose the issue.
Thanks, I have narrowed down to a garage in Noida from team BHP directory. Will send the vehicle this weekend. Will update soon.
Old 12th October 2021, 09:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the mileage and that it's a DCi engine, you are probably having worn out injectors.

Please look for smoke from the exhaust as the vehicle is started in the morning (cold start).
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 17:27   #10
BHPian

One thing I learned from watching loads of youtubers fixing old cars is that lot of these errors codes could be interlinked, and usually replacing a single part and clearing the codes may result in a perfectly running car. They do this by understanding each code root cause, and giving a priority to each code. They would say so and so code is very specific and it would only mean one thing. So they attack those codes first. They would initially ignore codes that are generic, and could mean multiple things.

Please find a competent mechanic outside stealership who follows above approach and focus their diagnosis on one thing at a time.
Comrade is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 00:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Considering the mileage and that it's a DCi engine, you are probably having worn out injectors.

Please look for smoke from the exhaust as the vehicle is started in the morning (cold start).
Not really. My Micra DCI has done 1.6 lac km, but it still runs as tight as a drum. Although they are pretty low-tech, these engines run forever. I've seen many Logans (has the same engine) used as cabs easily do 3Lac km without any repairs and still be running perfectly, that too in the city. City miles are harder on the car compared to highway miles.
Knighted06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:27   #12
BHPian

Here is an update on my Micra
I have been informed by a Garage in Noida, where I sent my car for diagnosis, that the issue is due to bad fuel. There is damage to fuel pump and 2 of the injectors. ECM BCM are all fine. The pump has been repaired and injectors need repair/ replacement from scraped parts. Also the fuel tank needs cleaning and fuel filter needs replacement.
Awaiting a report on status of injectors
Regards
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,
I need guidance related to my Micra Nissan Diesel XV 2011 model, 1,45,000 Km run. The car is being used by my father who drives it locally and is chauffeured around on long trips.
Thanks and regards
Bravo
Firstly take a second opinion from another ASC or a third party multi car workshop. On most occasions it can be just a sensor malfunction, which results in multiple errors. Secondly your ECU may need reprogramming and updating.

Its a general trend, to look at the mileage of the vehicle and then just quote basis replacement of major parts as the general notion of the service center and the customer is that the car is run 1 lakh + kilometres, so there can be a major part replacement. Just take a second opinion before you take the call.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 16:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have been informed by a Garage in Noida, where I sent my car for diagnosis, that the issue is due to bad fuel. There is damage to fuel pump and 2 of the injectors. ECM BCM are all fine. The pump has been repaired and injectors need repair/ replacement from scraped parts. Also the fuel tank needs cleaning and fuel filter needs replacement.
Regards
If you are keeping the vehicle for long, replace all 4 injectors to avoid the rework later. They may fail as well, its just a matter of time. Our experience with servicing the injectors is not good, the NVH got worse, it is smoky and contaminates the oil fast.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:47   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regards
Injectors can be refurbished easily. New injectors are definitely expensive. See if you can get injectors from a scrapped car. Either way new/refurbished injectors needs to be registered with the ECU by updating the serial number on the injector. This is done by a scan tool.

If you are refurbishing the injectors, suggest you get all 4 done. Chances are the remaining two may also be at the end of the life

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks