Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 22:29   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 AT | Automatic transmission light blinking

My XUV AT is 5.5 years old with 117000 kms in the odo. Currently I am on a road trip to Sikkim. There was no problem in my drive from Bangalore to Siliguri. However, while driving through Rohini uphill, towards the end of the toll road, the automatic transmission light started blinking. I stopped the car after coming out of Rohini toll road and switched off the car. When I started again after fifteen twenty minutes it started normally and no issues till my drive to darjeeling.

1. What could be the issue? This is the first time I got this warning.
2. Earlier today the car was serviced in Khokan Motors Siliguri where they changed rear brake pads and general checkup. The mechanic who got the car out of workshop for delivery commented that this was the first time he was driving AT. Could there be any issue due to his 'driving' for reversing the car inside workshop and driving few hundred meters outside.
I am currently in Darjeeling and have plans to go to remote Sikkim from here. Can I continue or is there some serious issue?

Thanks in advance.
sumannandy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 AT | Automatic transmission light blinking

Likely to be an overheating transmission. Was the transmission oil recently changed?
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Likely to be an overheating transmission. Was the transmission oil recently changed?
The transmission oil was not changed. Owners manual says AT oil is sealed for life.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 00:14   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest that you don't push the car too hard on uphill climbs, let the torque converter do its job with as little stress as possible, and carry on with the trip; at the next large authorised service station you can find, have the code read and the oil checked for deterioration / leakage / reduced level.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 01:49   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The transmission oil was not changed. Owners manual says AT oil is sealed for life.

Do have a monitoring system for transmission temperatures?
Never trust these sealed for life transmissions. I learnt the hard way and had to overhaul mine twice. VW has change intervals in the US but not in Europe and Asia it sealed for life. This because they risk lawsuits over there.

Even if sealed for life, replace at around 75,000 km and before the fluid turns dark brown. If possible fit an air cooler in series with the heat exchanger and you transmission will not be killed by the heat This will also give you a cooler engine.

Who makes the transmission? Is it ZF, Nissin or some other make?

Last edited by Indian2003 : 19th October 2021 at 01:53.
Indian2003 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 09:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 AT | Automatic transmission light blinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Who makes the transmission? Is it ZF, Nissin or some other make?
It's by Aisin Seiki.
Old 19th October 2021, 10:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing called as sealed for life transmission. All these are marketing gimmicks and definitely do not work in harsh Indian conditions. 1,17 Lakh on original AT fluid is a lot of kms especially in our stop and go conditions. Suggest you replace it ASAP.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:09   #8
BHPian

This is the difference between new and old ATF. The difference will be like night and day if you replace the fluid, whatever the brand of your auto box.
Old fluid will overheat faster too.

Name:  3078280AE0194C5FBF62866AEA6F0702.jpeg
Views: 1437
Size:  36.0 KB

Last edited by Indian2003 : 19th October 2021 at 10:18.
Indian2003 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 10:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Do have a monitoring system for transmission temperatures?
Never trust these sealed for life transmissions. I learnt the hard way and had to overhaul mine twice.

Even if sealed for life, replace at around 75,000 km and before the fluid turns dark brown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
There is nothing called as sealed for life transmission. All these are marketing gimmicks and definitely do not work in harsh Indian conditions. 1,17 Lakh on original AT fluid is a lot of kms especially in our stop and go conditions. Suggest you replace it ASAP.
This is a very relevant and pertinent post for us Hexa owners as well. Hexa’s six speed AT is also supposed to be sealed for life, as stated in the manual. This one does not get a transmission overheat light either. You have no way of deducing overheated ATF except for that typical burning smell. In other applications of this Punch Powerglide 6L50, oil change interval is usually 1.5L km. Interestingly, while the manual says ATF sealed for life, it also mentions what grade of fluid is used and the quantity.

I am yet to come across any Hexa owner who has changed the ATF. Any insights on this are welcome. My own car has done 1L+ km on the stock fluid.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 17:48   #10
BHPian

I have brought the car down to Siliguri and took it to the service center. The transmission light did not appear again, but then I did not push the transmission . Was extra careful in downhill Rohini.

The service center connected their mobile and read the error code as overheating transmission oil.
sumannandy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:00   #11
BHPian

The service centre (Khokan Motors) in Siliguri said that they would check the oil tomorrow. They do not have AT oil in stock. They suggested they would open up the gearbox ad check the oil status.

I checked in with the service centre in Kolkata. According to them, service centre in Siliguri do not have efficient and competent staff to do this job. And they strictly advised against opening up the gear box here. They have suggested to check the oil level from the plug at the top, and if required, get it topped up and come to Kolkata. Service centre in Kolkata have experience in changing AT oil for XUV and they have competed team who can do this job.

I also felt Siliguri service centre do not have competent staff. I will get the oil level checked and will drive to Kolkata tomorrow. And subsequently get the work done at Kolkata as required.
Old 19th October 2021, 19:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service centre (Khokan Motors) in Siliguri said that they would check the oil tomorrow. They do not have AT oil in stock. They suggested they would open up the gearbox ad check the oil status.

I checked in with the service centre in Kolkata. According to them, service centre in Siliguri do not have efficient and competent staff to do this job. And they strictly advised against opening up the gear box here. They have suggested to check the oil level from the plug at the top, and if required, get it topped up and come to Kolkata. Service centre in Kolkata have experience in changing AT oil for XUV and they have competed team who can do this job.

I also felt Siliguri service centre do not have competent staff. I will get the oil level checked and will drive to Kolkata tomorrow. And subsequently get the work done at Kolkata as required.
Unless there is a visible leak, there is no reason why the AT fluid level will go down. In my opinion, if you do not see any leakage no need to open the plug and check as well. As is, there is no AT fluid available with the Siliguri MASS. Suggest you directly drive down to Kolkata MASS whenever it falls in your itinerary and get it checked and replaced as suggested by them.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 18:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Quote:
Suggest that you don't push the car too hard on uphill climbs, let the torque converter do its job with as little stress as possible, and carry on with the trip; at the next large authorised service station you can find, have the code read and the oil checked for deterioration / leakage / reduced level.
The service center in Siliguri checked the oil level today. Apparently there was no overflow when the overflow plug was opened. The oil is supposed to overflow when the overflow plug is opened.

They have topped up 250 ml AT fluid.

However according to them the oil turned dark/black. They advised me to get the oil changed asap.

The reason for oil turning black is not known, probably normal wear and tear. However this is not part of mahindra service schedule and they don’t change the oil usually. Apparently there is another Xuv AT in Siliguri run 150k where the oil was never changed and it is maintained in this service center.

While at it, there was some sound coming while changing gears. They diagnosed it with vacuum modulator issue and are changing both the modulators.

Will drive to kolkata tomorrow and get the oil changed after that.

My Xuv is always maintained at service center with proper schedule and run mostly on highways. If this is the condition of the oil suggest all Xuv AT owners to change AT oil after a lakh km or so.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 23:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The service center in Siliguri checked the oil level today.

Will drive to kolkata tomorrow and get the oil changed after that.
Sorry to learn that you had to cut your Sikkim trip short. But why drive to Kolkata to get the oil changed, when you could have done it in Siliguri itself?
Old 21st October 2021, 01:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
However according to them the oil turned dark/black. They advised me to get the oil changed asap.

The reason for oil turning black is not known

While at it, there was some sound coming while changing gears.
I am not very optimistic. The fluid turned black due to overheating. Just keep your fingers crossed and change the fluid ASAP. Drive easy to Kolkata if you have to change the fluid there.

The fluid in my auto box was dark brown in colour. I had it flushed with many liters of new fluid. It worked better after the flush. The box broke down after a few thousand kilometers.

It should be interesting to see the filter mesh when they take it out. Mine had lots of metal filings. Try to take some pictures if there are metal filings. They could come from the friction plates inside the torque converter.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 21st October 2021 at 01:29.
Indian2003 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks