Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong

Alloy wheels refinish

This project has been on the cards for over a year now. Reason - the chrome on three alloys had begun wearing off and I was not sure which shade to get them refinished in. The alloys that the car sported were EVO chrome alloys in 7J width and JWL stamped. Spare was the stock alloy.

Options considered

1. Source OE alloys of the Grand Vitara - not available either in the used parts market OR not competitively priced for new. In any case, I didn't find the OE 16" alloys good looking enough, while I love the 17" alloys on the 2009 and later Grand Vitaras
2. Buy four stock alloys of the SX4 - found them to be 6J and not suitable for 235/70R16 tyres. Had the 2009 and later sx4 multi-spoked ones been in 6.5J width, I'd have gone for them with eyes closed.
3. Try 6.5J alloys with 114.3 PCD and ET45 or thereabouts from another car - probables were the Chevrolet Cruze, Hyundai Sonata and Hyundai Fluidic Elantra - didn't find that these alloys would do justice to the looks of the Grand Vitara. Chevrolet Cruze alloys weren't mating well to the wheel hub when I tried.
4. Look for someone who could do hydro-chrome ; found none. There was a unit in a local industrial estate that was willing to buff the wheels but that would be nowhere close to the chrome shine.

I also looked for pictures of similar looking alloys as the EVO painted in silver and in black - both looked yuk. I am anyways a fan of bright silver alloys and don't find the diamond cut ones really exciting.

Decision sealed

After several iterations in the head, and on the computer, looking at alloy wheel designs across cars from the Marutis to the Mercs, I decided to go with a light beige shade for alloys; took the fuel filler lid to the paints dealer to look for a suitable matching shade. I found Hyundai Champagne silver the best trade-off and went ahead with the mod.

The chosen shade - Hyundai Champagne Silver (second from bottom)
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-shadecard.jpg

Alloys in 2014 - note the chrome coming off
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-alloy_before-mod_1.jpg

Alloy markings
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_mainalloy_specs.jpg

Alloys de-chromed
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gvalloys_chromeoff.jpg

Wheels ready for installation
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_alloys_drying.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 24th October 2022 at 06:11.
vigsom is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Power steering fitment and system flush

The power steering seals were repalced and the rack cam back from the machinist. The power steering fluid reservoir was cleaned, and the entire system flushed with fresh fluid, air bled and normalised.

Power Steering fluid reservoir cleaned
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_powersteeringfluidreservoir.jpg

My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_psreservoir_cleaned.jpg

Power steering rack after rectification
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_powersteeringrack_rectified.jpg

Power steering rack installed
My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_steeringrack_leftsideview.jpg

My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_steeringrackview_topright.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 22nd October 2022 at 23:39.
vigsom is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Expenses for the major inspection

1. Power steering rack seals and refitment (including transport) - INR 9300
2. Heater outlet pipe INR 1300
3. Radiator inlet hose INR 470
4. Heater inlet hose INR 85
5. Throttle body coolant return hose - MGP Free
6. Toyota Genuine LL Coolant 2lit INR 620
7. Power steering fluid INR 400
8. Front diff oil (80W90) INR 600
9. Labour charges INR 4500
10. Alloy wheels refinish (de-chroming, sanding, primer, touch putty, paint) and painting rear drums matt black INR 5000
11. Parking sensors INR 1500

TOTAL BIRTHDAY EXPENSES INR 23775

The finished product -15 years young and ready for many more years

My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_leftrearview_1.jpg

My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong-gv_interior.jpg

My Experiences

I take pride in saying this - that I've never ever given this car to any wash guy. I wash and polish the car myself, keep it covered when not in use, diagnose issues myself, and supervise every element of the car's maintenance. This car is what MADE IN JAPAN is all about - great quality and the ability to weather many a storm, has been with me through many ups and downs, has needed some attention post the 10 year mark, has gotten me worked up with some minor irritants, but in the end, has given me many many smiles through great learning and driving experiences. They don't make such cars anymore, and for old school folks like me, Old is Gold!

Season's greetings to all of you.

Last edited by vigsom : 24th October 2022 at 06:12.
vigsom is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 19:25   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Suzuki Grand Vitara turns 15 | And is still going strong

Thanks for sharing, Vigsom! Have moved your 15-year update to the existing thread. Will be going to homepage this week .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 11:36   #20
Boo

I have been following your posts on your Vitara and guess what I have recently brought home a 2007 Grand Vitara MT from a fellow bhpian. I am having a hard time procuring rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. I ordered twice on boodmo and waited for over a month, but both my orders got cancelled. Can you please help me here.
Boo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 12:12   #21
RRM
BHPian

Thanks for this post. One of the first SUVs which I liked it though never got a chance to drive. Must say you have kept the vehicle in pristine condition, both interior and exterior: thumbs up

By looking into it one can say that it has another 15 yrs. of life left, easily! She got a real birthday gift! After all it is a Japanese make and cannot doubt its quality

Until then keep munching miles!

Last edited by RRM : 25th October 2022 at 12:37.
RRM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
recently brought home a 2007 Grand Vitara MT from a fellow bhpian; having a hard time procuring rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders
1. Are the shoes and wheel cylinders still the ones that came with the car when new? What issue are you facing with the wheel cylinders?

2. If you have someone in Europe who can carry the parts, please order via spareto.com and have them shipped to Europe from where they can be brought over. You could also try UAE as that's where I got the shoes and wheel cylinders from when boodmo's fulfillment was v.v.poor.
Brake shoes are shown as 53200-65J02 and are available on boodmo by AVI and SwaranRJ. Please check again and I think you should get these without fuss. I remember paying the equivalent of INR4,000 for the SGP shoes in 2018.

As far as wheel cylinders go, you could try partsouq.com and spareto.com by keying in your VIN. Shipping to India is pricey
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks