Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 16:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Mandovi could neither understand the uncomfortable Shifter experience, nor could UM Motors. For Mandovi, and the Suzuki Company associate, (mr Singh) the simple fact the shifter being able to move up-down was grounds for NO PROBLEM, but the uneasy shifter feeling is something they did not understand. Considering Mandovis, reputation, i was not satisfied at all by the way they serviced my car - for example, their mechanics were "rash" driving client cars within their premisis. There was a leak from the valve cover gasket, after they claimed to have done valve settings - which made the engine only rough. They couldnt even fix the front window glass rattle ( i have solved his issue myself, will post another thread) Simply being polite to customer, is not enough. What about the results?

So i decided to investigate myself as i could not bear this uncomfortable shifter experience causing unnecessary stress to my arm and my attention always diverted towards this specific issue while driving.

Here is the solution regarding the shifter issue-

I would like to state that the problem has nothing to do with the transmission.

The problem is with the shifter cable.

There are 2 cables under the shifter. In my case the cable on right side is slightly stretched. (may be by Half cm)
Due to this, there is a slight play in the shifter lever, that creates loose and uncomfortable shifting experience. (plasticy feeling)

This reasoning is also proven correct due to the fact that - since the right side cable controls up-down motion (left cable control right-left motion of shifter) the shifting feels uncomfortable only when the left cable is stretched - ie, only when moving from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3.

When moving from 4 to 3, it feels somewhat fine, as the left cable does not strech at this time, the shifter simply pushes the Right side cable to 3rd gear. (as the cable is being pushed, not pulled)

The loose feeling also disaapeard when i tried to pull tight the cable with my hand - hence reduced play - the shifting was butter smooth. But obviously the solution is to fix or replace the cable. (not sure how to fix the the cable short by half Centimetre though)
The shifter cable comes in a set of one (left and right) around Rs 2000

I have not replaced it but i am 100% confident about the problem I have diagnosed.
I will definately update once i get the cable replaced.
Since Mandovi and Mr Singh (Maruti Representative) did not understand the concept of the problem faced by customer I ended up buying the new set of Cable and Shifter Housing myself from parts supplier.

Replacing and putting back new Cable can be a pain.

However, I have successfully replaced the Cable and Shifter Housing Mount. Car now shifts great again and driving experience is now perfect
I lived with this problem for 2 years!

Down with Mandovi (wilson) and Mr Singh (Maruti Representative) !!!
Attached Thumbnails
SWIFT - Shifting to 2nd gear problem-123.jpg  

aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks