Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 10:10   #1

Toyota Fortuner: Getting all doors to unlock automatically when driver's door is unlocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Let us explore this, I am pretty sure it can be configured differently, but we need to crack it
Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Tried this, does'nt work in the 2021 model The older way was lot more convenient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post

I would prefer it the old Fortuner way, for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post

I do not think there is a way around it. If there is some one please post here as it will help all New generation Toyota car owners.
So, @gadadhar (my dad) and I found a way to do it, and it's actually given in the instruction manual itself. I've added a screenshot for everyone's reference.

Toyota Fortuner: Getting all doors to unlock automatically when driver's door is unlocked-whatsapp-image-20211111-6.52.20-pm.jpeg

The main part here is putting the car in "Ignition ON" mode while using the smart key, i.e, pressing the 'start-stop button' twice, without pressing the brake pedal. Once the car is in this mode and all doors are closed, within the next 20 seconds, press and hold the unlock button on the driver's door panel for approximately 5 seconds and then release. Once the process is complete, the doors lock and unlock for an instant. Now, your driver's door linked unlocking should be active. It worked for us and now the locks work the way they did when we bought the car.

The surprising part is that we have no clue how it even jumped out of this mode in the first place, and it's sad to see that there are so many people experiencing the same issue/software bug.

Here's the fix for it, and I hope it works for everyone.
itsnotdeva is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Legender & Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotdeva View Post

The surprising part is that we have no clue how it even jumped out of this mode in the first place, and it's sad to see that there are so many people experiencing the same issue/software bug.

Here's the fix for it, and I hope it works for everyone.
Thank you for this. BTW, where do I get hold of this user manual? The Toyota connect app shows 'No content available' for me. Did you all get an actual owner's manual book with the Fortuner? I only got a user guide that does not have much information.
Old 14th November 2021, 17:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Thank you for this. BTW, where do I get hold of this user manual? The Toyota connect app shows 'No content available' for me. Did you all get an actual owner's manual book with the Fortuner? I only got a user guide that does not have much information.
This user manual was the one I had in the Toyota Connect app itself. It was in Toyota Connect -> My Toyota -> Vehicle Information -> Fortuner. There you can do a word search to find things about the car, from the instruction manual.

Also, yes, we did recieve more than just a user guide. There's a pretty detailed manual that we got with the car. Ours is an August 2021 model.
itsnotdeva is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The main part here is putting the car in "Ignition ON" mode while using the smart key, i.e, pressing the 'start-stop button' twice, without pressing the brake pedal. Once the car is in this mode and all doors are closed, within the next 20 seconds, press and hold the unlock button on the driver's door panel for approximately 5 seconds and then release. Once the process is complete, the doors lock and unlock for an instant. Now, your driver's door linked unlocking should be active. It worked for us and now the locks work the way they did when we bought the car.
Hope this did the trick for everyone. I am surprised how the mode got changed in the first place, I am 100% sure that I have not done the same procedure earlier to reset the mode.

It changed after a service in my BIL's Crysta, and the Toyota folks convinced him that it is the expected behavior and he was forced to use it in that mode for more than 1 year, we informed him few days back and same procedure worked.

Shame on Toyota folks for not having the correct information and not even bothering to check on it
gadadhar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hope this did the trick for everyone
Did not work for me. Was able to get into ignition mode, but the locl-unlock sound never came even after pressing the unlock button for more than 5 seconds. Mine is a 2021 Aug make.
Old 17th November 2021, 09:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not work for me. Was able to get into ignition mode, but the locl-unlock sound never came even after pressing the unlock button for more than 5 seconds. Mine is a 2021 Aug make.
Not sure why it is not working for you
  • It is important you press the unlock button within 20 seconds of invoking the ignition mode, please double check on this
  • You can try your luck by pressing the lock button as well, Toyota manual states Lock or Unlock
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
So, @gadadhar (my dad) and I found a way to do it, and it's actually given in the instruction manual itself. I've added a screenshot for everyone's reference.
Thank you so much for the tip

I activated it last morning on my 2016 Toyota Fortuner and it works like a charm!

Those unable to activate may be pressing the brake pedal or having the doors unlocked before entering Ignition On mode. It's amazing to find a new feature 5 years after purchasing the car!

Quote:
Hope this did the trick for everyone.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time and checking the user manual.

Quote:
Shame on Toyota folks for not having the correct information and not even bothering to check on it
Saying not possible is way easier than searching the user manual.
dean5545 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 09:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Thank you so much for the tip

Those unable to activate may be pressing the brake pedal or having the doors unlocked before entering Ignition On mode.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time and checking the user manual.
Saying not possible is way easier than searching the user manual.
Great to hear that it helped in unearthing a feature after ownership of 5 years

We expect better support from Toyota, or may be gone are those days...

Quote:
Does'nt work for me. Have tried all permutations and combinations. Has anyone been able to do this in the 2021 Fortuner?
Yes, Mine is 2021 Aug model and it worked. Please check if you are able to get in to the "Ignition Mode" with double start press without touching the break pedal.
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 10:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Fortuner: Getting all doors to unlock automatically when driver's door is unlocked

Toyota Fortuner: Getting all doors to unlock automatically when driver's door is unlocked - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 09:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner: Getting all doors to unlock automatically when driver's door is unlocked

Hi Gadadhar, I have followed the process today with the help of Dean and was able to activate the auto door lock mechanism. Many thanks to you and your son for the research and help!! Appreciate it!!
getsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Gadadhar, I have followed the process today with the help of Dean and was able to activate the auto door lock mechanism. Many thanks to you and your son for the research and help!! Appreciate it!!
That's cool. I think it is a matter of following all the steps religiously. Hope it reaches the Toyota SAs as well for the benefit of all
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 18:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Great work. Will try it on my Yaris 2018 too. On switching off the engine and getting out, all doors remain locked except drivers. Have to press the unlock button.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 17:02   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Great work. Will try it on my Yaris 2018 too. On switching off the engine and getting out, all doors remain locked except drivers. Have to press the unlock button.
Yes please do try it and let us know if it works. Putting the car in "Ignition On" is the main part, and ensuring all doors are closed when pressing the unlock button on the door.

If it does work with the Yaris, then it should work with every new gen Toyota model, which would probably help a lot of people.
itsnotdeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 17:05   #14

Quote:
You shouldn't actually hold the unlock button for more than 5 seconds. What worked for me was counting till 5 in my head and then releasing the button. Then, the doors should lock and unlock to confirm the action.
itsnotdeva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 18:04   #15
BHPian

This feature was present in last generation fortuner as well but I still prefer the only driver door open function due to safety. No need to worry about intrusion from other door for theft etc if at all I open drivers door.

Same thing now in endeavour. In fact Ford is little more advance, only driver door opens if opened from drivers seat but all door opens if any other passenger open their door from inside.

For others who are not familiar with these two cars, we are taking of situation wherein we directly open the door lever without actually pressing unlock. In these two cars and many others it’s possible to open doors from inside without unlocking. So child lock is very important

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks