Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2009, 14:34   #61

car a/c service

Hi Guys,

I live in south delhi. I have an esteem which is 7 years old and I am looking for a place to service its A/C. So far I have been topping up gas but now I think its time its a/c gets serviced. I think (though I ain't sure) that since I got the car I must have got the a/c serviced once.

Though I got the a/c gas topped up an year ago, I feel the car maybe low on gas. And sometimes when I switch on a/c I hear hissing sound. What does that indicate?

Can I get some info on good a/c service center (south del) so that I can get my car a/c checked and probably serviced.

Thanks,

JG

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th April 2009 at 14:50. Reason: Search please
Old 7th April 2009, 15:10   #62
BHPian

What a delight to read this thread is. It's increased my knowledge about car airconditioners and MASSs by leaps and bounds!
Old 7th April 2009, 16:15   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
3 years ago, my esteem's ac went kaput! So my ma took to an a/c repair guy near her office in kalina. There they charged us rs.7900 for a second hand compressor.
Kalina eh? You mean to say the a/c guy who has his small shop just opposite the petrol pump?? Let me tell you he is a big time crook and loots people who come to him with a/c problems. I have had repeated bad experiences with him. Please avoid going to him anytime in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimuraKenshin View Post
It gave cooling for some months, but last year we suddenly noticed that it wasnt cooling anymore.

So this time i took it to a a/c repair shop that my mechanic knew. Apparently this repair guy is famous. So any way, this time we got a new subros compressor for Rs. 11000, with bill and warranty, we also changed our cooling coil for Rs. 4000.

What else needs to be changed? (the engine?? lol )It should coo,l shouldnt it? Let me also tell you that the condensor has not been changed. Will changing that help? if so whats the price? What can/ should i do? Please help and advise!! I need the a/c up and running asap! Please advise!!
So now that you have changed as above mentioned the compressor and cooling coil and assuming it is original MGP stuff...in that case i guess you would just need a complete a/c system checkup/service and the place to go would be "GOMES A/C WORKS" at Milan Subay. It is just besides the famous Prakash Auto! I am sure he will set things right. They do a stellar job. And if at all you might need to change any part to get things right... he will very easily arrange for a genuine MGP grade replacement part.

Cheers
Old 11th June 2009, 16:28   #64
Senior - BHPian

Inefficient cooling in my Esteem

Hey all,
I have a Sept 1995 model Esteem that I bought as used in 2000. So far the car has completed over a lakh kilometers and its still running well.

The engine is still as good as new and the original set of clutch is still holding up well.

The only problem I have is with the car's AC. It hardly cools and during daytime its useless. I get the AC serviced regularly and recently got it serviced at Correa (mumbai). What they tell me that the cars AC is inherently weak and I cannot do anything about it.

Are they correct? Is there anyway I can improve its cooling?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th June 2009 at 16:50. Reason: Please do a search before opening new thread. thanks
Old 12th June 2009, 14:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

After reading this thread looks like I will be spending one day with the AC mechanic and figure out what exactly was done during the last AC service (2 months ago).

Will specifically tell him to remove and clean the Cooling Coil.

The major problem with my car is (1) it age (almost 14 yrs) and (2) its blower capacity. The Fiesta has has more air blown at level 2 than my car at level 4.

Will try to get this done over this weekend and update the thread.

Cheers
Old 16th July 2009, 16:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

How did it go ?

Esteem's AC is not its strong point, but it does provide reasonable cooling, so get your system serviced fully.
Old 16th July 2009, 17:15   #67
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Esteem's AC is not its strong point
The older (carb versions) had really poor blowers that resulted in poor circulation and hence poor cooling. The problem was addressed with the the newer MPFI models and it did provide decent cooling as long as all components were in winning form. I have vivid memories of driving through the Andhra heat in the peak summer in May with outside temperatures of 40+ deg and the Esteem kept the 4 occupants cool with the temp around 25 deg.
Old 18th July 2009, 15:11   #68
BHPian

Cleaning the Cooling Coil

Browsing through the posts it appears that leakage in cooling coil could occur during/ immediately after cleaning it. This then leads to other issues.
I have a couple of questions here, which experienced guys can possibly resolve:

1) Can the cooling coil be cleaned by air jets (from a tire maintenance shop or from a tire pump) or by a vacuum cleaner, on a regular basis? IMHO, this would improve the cooling efficiency, reduce compressor load and reduce the chances of coil damage due to mechanical removal (I have seen wire brushes etc. being used by fridge mechanics) of the dirt etc.

2) Isn't there a simple kind of freon leakage detectors which would do away with the guess-work?

Cheers
Old 26th March 2010, 19:00   #69
BHPian

Esteem Air Conditioning

Hi Guys / Gurus,

Need some advice for the A/C in my Esteem.

Of late the A/C has been struggling to cool the car in the middle of the day - especially if it has been parked in the sun - and as we know the days have really become unbearable of late.
I would like to mention here that in the evenings and at night the A/C is a chiller!

I took the car to an A/C mechanic and he said that the gas was OK, there were no leaks and the A/C was functioning as per normal.

The temperature measured at the outlet vent with a digital thermometer was 13.5 degrees. Is this normal or should it be lower?

The mechanic says that's the best I will get on an Esteem. However, he also added that if I do a service of the cooling coils (including gas charging of the system)the cooling MIGHT get better. Cost for this is Rs. 1600/=.

The car has done only 23,000 Kms and I don't see why the A/C should need a service. He says with new gas there may be an improvement???? I did not think the age of the gas would have made a difference!!!!

Alternatively, if the Esteem's (all Esteem's) A/C is relatively weak as the mechanic says, what can be done to improve it? Any point changing the compressor to a more powerful one? I was again told by him that this would not make a great difference. He says the only way I can get better cooling is to fit a Superking blower. I do not want to do that as it cancels the whole HVAC system if fitted.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

By the way, the car is fitted with V Kool tints.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

SS

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th March 2010 at 20:08. Reason: Please use search and continue in an existing thread. Thanks
Old 26th March 2010, 20:12   #70
Team-BHP Support

Try topping up the gas and see if there is an improvement. Otherwise a clean up should help a lil to improve the cooling, basically they will clear up the coil from dust and stuff so that air flow and hence cooling will be better. AC grill temperature (they have to insert the sensor inside) should be closed to 5 deg. Reading at vent is difficult to judge since the ambient air temp (inside the car) will give different readings at diff time. Still 13 at vent seems to be ok.

Summer is here and generally we will also need to adjust to the rate of temp change, cooling speed of the AC. So double check before you fiddle.

Rate quoted is ok.
Old 26th March 2010, 21:43   #71
Senior - BHPian

recently a colleague of mine has been facing a problem of "vinegar" like smell coming from the AC vents, he owns a spark. During service the *** mentioned cleaning the whole HVAC system but still the problem persists, this has happened for several times now and my friend has taken it to the "Big shots" in GM, he is also thinking of filing a case in consumer court,what do you say guys?

Spike
Old 26th March 2010, 21:50   #72
Team-BHP Support

Mostly bad drainage, dirt giving a stink seat fabrics also create havoc while switching ON ac/entering the car.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
while switching ON ac
Did you mean switching on blower, or literally the AC?

I am curious because I have this experience in my car- it smells only when AC is switched ON for the first time, even though blower might be already running without AC for some time. Since the odor is mild and lasts only for a minute or so, I have become habitual of ignoring it.

Last edited by santosh.s : 26th March 2010 at 22:18.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:18   #74
Team-BHP Support

Both, AC changes the air temperature creating all sorts of nonsense smells.
Old 27th March 2010, 17:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Try topping up the gas and see if there is an improvement. Otherwise a clean up should help a lil to improve the cooling, basically they will clear up the coil from dust and stuff so that air flow and hence cooling will be better. AC grill temperature (they have to insert the sensor inside) should be closed to 5 deg. Reading at vent is difficult to judge since the ambient air temp (inside the car) will give different readings at diff time. Still 13 at vent seems to be ok.

Summer is here and generally we will also need to adjust to the rate of temp change, cooling speed of the AC. So double check before you fiddle.

Rate quoted is ok.

Thanks Jaggu.
Will try it and see.
The only problem is that when mechanics touch the car they usually mess up something else.

Regards,

SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks