Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2007, 10:49   #1
BHPian

Headlight relay for new Swift

I am thinking of installing relay for my new Swift. My concerns are,

1. Would it consume more power and consequently will be load on Alternator ?

2. Is it a strain on electricals of the car ?

3. Is it recommended in a new car with delicate electronics like ECU and all....

Your comments pl.
Old 28th May 2007, 17:39   #2
k36
BHPian

Pardon me for the ignorance ...but I can't resist asking ...
1. What's the purpose? (googled .. but didn't get any good answer)
2. Doesn't the car come with a headlight relay?
Old 28th May 2007, 17:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post

3. Is it recommended in a new car with delicate electronics like ECU and all....

Your comments pl.
Are you upgrading your stock halogens to more powerful ones. Coz that is only when you need to look at installing a relay. If you are then yes - if you are staying with stock halogens then no.

Hope that solves your problem

Cheers
Old 28th May 2007, 17:49   #4
BHPian

I presume that you are installing relay because you are upgrading your head lamps. To my knowledge this relay will not over strain your electricals, ECU or alternator. In case you do not have the relay done for the head lamp upgardes, it will strain your battery.
Old 28th May 2007, 18:36   #5
BHPian

Yes, I am going for upgrade in headlights. Want to do it before rains start.
Old 28th May 2007, 18:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k36 View Post
Pardon me for the ignorance ...but I can't resist asking ...
1. What's the purpose? (googled .. but didn't get any good answer)
2. Doesn't the car come with a headlight relay?
Relay is used to supply more power to upgraded headlights (which consumes more power) without loading alternator or battery (as they say)
Old 28th May 2007, 19:27   #7
BHPian

Well.... a heavy duty H/L relay wud be necessary incase you are upgrading your HL bulbs to 100/90W or 130/100W halogens!! Every new gen cars come with suitable light duty relays which will neatly safeguard the switching devices! But incase if you are planning to put the above halogens, heavy duty relays is an absolute requirement to sufficiently withstand the extra current which is pulled by the halogens! This is just to safeguard the lightduty switching devices & wiring harness provided by vehicle manufacturers!!

It is not the relay that consumes more power... its the high wattage halogens that consumes more power!! Pulling more power thru a heavy duty circuit is definitely safer than pulling more power thru light duty circuit right??!! Thatz the logic!!

It won't strain the other electricals of car badly! The extra power consumption will be easily compramised by the extra factor of safety levels of electrical system!!

Get it done at the car dealers end itself! They know the circuit better and so will do the job without disturbing the important lines!

Drive on!!
Old 28th May 2007, 19:51   #8
BHPian

[quote=nikkibike;451088]Get it done at the car dealers end itself! They know the circuit better and so will do the job without disturbing the important line

Hi,

No cutting of wires, just adding the extra wire & relay,[+ve to the bulb through relay contact's] I replaced the stock with GE100/140, total cost will be approx.Rs.650......
Old 28th May 2007, 22:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

relays wont. but will help the upgraded bulb to consume more, hence load on battery and alternator will be more. safe to use 100/90 bulbs anything more is undue load on stock battery and alternator

kinda yes

if you can avoid for the first year great, but if you really need better lighting then go ahead
Your comments pl.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:16   #10
BHPian

Jaggu, Is there a way to bypass the original wiring and put an another one for high wattage bulbs and the dealer doesn't get to know about it? So, that the warranty still stands if there is some issue.

I guess it is done in the case of music system, where dealers warns about the cut in the original wiring, so installers install a cutout to bypass it.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:19   #11

its good idea to install relay to uprade on halogen lamps. i have fitted in swift and does not create any problem.
but pls select a good workshop to install and use branded wiring which comes with provision to fit it without cutting any wires. go for LUCAS brand wiring which comes with ready made socket just to remove and fit. no need to cut any wires. also it comes with booster relay so its very safe and wiring is also of good quality. but it cost more around 900 rs of wiring + relay.
and pls do not install bulb more than 100/90 as its not safe for others on road. as already 100/90 is too much light for vehicals coming towards u,so do take care of them also and NEVER NEVER forget to give dipper after installing this capacity of bulb.
for futhur help feel free to contact me
Old 28th May 2007, 22:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

most of the new upgrade wiring kit dont require any cutting, it comes as a kit.

will have coupler that connect to the existing bulb connectors for input signal for the relay and then another set of high wattage wiring along with connectors for the upgrade bulb. this wiring will have separate grounding that can be connected to battery terminal and grounded to earth.

though this will take load off the wiring and switch cannot avoid load on battery and alternator which has to happen if you upgrade, as far as hiding away from dealer.. if properly done and tied up using good cable ties and all it will be not be very obvious to eyes. but yes the main wires going into battery is a give away to watchful eyes.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:56   #13
BHPian

Hi,

I don't think it would affect warranty! Period!

I just got a relay with 100/90 Phillips Rally H4 bulbs on Primus (Swift Vdi) she is 1 month old. And the owner of the garage where I used to service my Zen would have told me not to do it if it was a warranty issue (his garage was an authorized Maruti service center for many years, now a Bosch center).

But I also have a question at the same time, is there a way to improve the lighting beyond the 100/90 H4. I thought of the Osram Night Breakers, but white light is a bloody problem with the law. Any suggestions on other 'Legal' type bulbs that can be used??
Old 18th January 2010, 09:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

For Auto Lighting queries refer to this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ting-here.html

This thread is closed.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th May 2012 at 12:55. Reason: Corrected the linky
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks