Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i10 | Airbag light not going off

I have a Hyundai i10 2010 (Nov) model. A few weeks back when travelling on the elevated Airport road in Bangalore, the airbag light suddenly came on the instrument cluster. When I reached home, I tried switching off the engine and switching it back on without any success.
Since I now live in Dodaballapur, a good 30 km from my usual service center (Trident Hyundai Adugodi), I requested my SA to prove a contact at the Trident Yelahanka center.
They did some basic diagnosis without any success. I then asked him to remove the 2 airbag fuses so the the light will not be continously on.

Subsequently I then raised a complaint on the Hyundai web site and within two hours a senior person from Trident called me and requested me to bring the car to Trident Adugodi (I know this person very well).

At Adugodi, they tried all possibilities (i.e. removing and reconnecting the module, air bags, etc) without success. They didnt have a spare module for checking so I feel that the diagnosis though moderately thorough was not completed.

Finally, they requested me to bring in the car again if and when they are able to locate a airbag module (from another car - perhaps customer?) and check.
The funny thing is that the Hyundai diagnostic software does not now show any error in the system (earlier it used to show a "No communication between module and sensors error), but now it doesnt show that any more.

So , in a nutshell the problem is still there and they have really no clue of resolving it other than checking with another module (if they get one) and a spare instrument cluster (also if they get one).

Don't service centers need to keep spares for diagnosis (even as per their words this problem is extremely rare)?

Any feedback from the community?
motorguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:35   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10 | Airbag light not going off

Tried replacing the clockspring in steering wheel? Usually, it is the reason why airbag light pops up in Hyundai cars.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

At high level, Looks like some rat's mischief and short circuit has made to leak some current into airbag light circuit. This has caused the bulb to glow.

Suggest to go to some auto electrician and get the wiring of instrument cluster checked. This should get you to right spot of the problem.

Either sensor going kaput or circuit getting current from unknown source. These are the only possible scenarios unless the airbag itself is gone bad
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:41   #4
BHPian

My parents have a 2012 i20 and the same problem surfaced in our car last year, replacement of the clockspring solved the issue. This should not cost you more than ₹2000.
Water ingress due to waterlogging or floods can also be a cause of airbag light turning on but that was not true in our case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
Don't service centers need to keep spares for diagnosis (even as per their words this problem is extremely rare)?
I remember reading on this forum that it's a common problem on Hyundais from that era.

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 30th November 2021 at 16:49.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 07:19   #5
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 | Airbag light not going off

I had this problem in my Verna 2012 model. The issue popped up within first 25k kms and the car was in warranty. They replaced the airbag sensors under warranty. These parts are usually not readily available ( in my case it took 2 weeks +)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks