Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2021, 18:40   #1

VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable

Last week I noticed that my left fog lamp has stopped working. So being just a fog lamp, my first thought was the bulb, based on that I went to the VW service station and they mentioned that there are no issues with the bulb but the connecting cable is chewed by the rat.
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-chewed-cable.jpg
An immediate response from my side was, can we replace the cable, apparently the cable and that connector were out of stock and they quoted me 1900Rs for the cable connector and 600 for fitting charges.
I gave my number and ask the service engineer to call back once they have that cable connector in the inventory.

Meanwhile back of my mind, I was not convinced that just connector replacement caused 2500, so started decoding that connector and figured out that it's just a simple two-wire connector with a clip and decided to check local car accessories shop, fortunately, I got a similar connector from a nearby shop for 250 Rs, I took out those wires with connector and put them into VW connector and did the patching.
2500Rs task done in 250 Rs...
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-foglamp-connector-local-shop.jpg

Pin layout
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-simplepinlayout.jpg

put the wires into the VW connector
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-vw_connector-new-wires.jpg

Patching
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-patching.jpg

Opened 4 T20 nuts from the bottom of the front bumper, plugged the connector back, and that's it
VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-output.jpg
HrishiMahajan10 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 12:00   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable

Awesome fix ! ASS will never try to repair the wiring , they directly advise to replace the harness which is inturn pricey. It's good that you checked at stores if they had the connector and saved 10 times the cost of not buying a harness.

This is my worst fear when I take my car to my native. Recently my Uncle's 2014 Tata Super Ace Mint whilst parked overnight , rat had chewed on the Diesel Filter Sensor wires. The 'Water in Diesel filter' light popped on the cluster after that. I always wonder why rats tend to chew at the end of the connector ? It gets super frustrating and spoils the day.

VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-img_20211014_183452.jpg

I managed to get a Depinning Kit , removed the connector , depinned the pins and crimped new pins into it and taped it all well.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 12:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtoncastelino View Post
I managed to get a Depinning Kit , removed the connector , depinned the pins and crimped new pins into it and taped it all well.
How does a depinning kit look like? Is it easily available? Are there any specifications for different connectors etc ?
Old 5th December 2021, 12:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghosht View Post
How does a depinning kit look like? Is it easily available? Are there any specifications for different connectors etc ?
I managed to get a Depinning Kit (41 pieces) from AliExpress with a family friend who came from Abroad.

VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-img20211127wa0008.jpg

I paid ₹385 for it. It took 20 days to deliver to my friends address.

VW Vento TSI 1.2 Rat Chewed fog lamp cable-screenshot_20211205121622.jpg

The kit is available in India albeit with 3X the price but gets sold out very fast.

Link : https://www.wish.com/product/394670p...hare=mobileweb
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks