Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 11:30   #1
Team-BHP Support

Whats wrong with the suspension?

I own a Tata indica 2002, done almost 81K kms. At around 75000kms I was told that I would need new Shock absorbers(or dampers to be more technically correct) soon. I have been procrastinating that job since the shocks still have some life left in them, and I thought I will time it with the complete tyre change and Gbox job.
Over the past three days we did 900+kms of hill driving over not so good roads. Imaging going downhill at high speed, tail itching to break out, and then landing the front one tyre into a smooth pothole with a thunk. The terrain was such that the front was bouncing all the time and the roads were very very bad,
Somewhere on the Moradabad delhi highway the front left tyre got a puncture, and today morning when I was taking the car out I noticed that the front left tyre was flat. Changed the tyre and saw this

Don't worry about the strut, thats the plastic coating. Infact in both the wheel wells everything made of plastic(mudguards, flaps) is shattered due to the pounding by gravel(over the numerous Himalayan adventures in the unexplored roads)
I am worried about the shocker.
I don't know about the right one yet. Will get it inspected when I get alignment done.

Meanwhile can you advise me how serious is the damage? Do I need new shockers "Now"?
Since Tata sells one shocker for 2500 and I get 2 for 2300 outside(similar or same brand) , I will go to an independent garage.
Does anybody know a good suspension guy in Noida. In sec 16 most of the dudes don't even have the ramp to mount the car, and raise it for underbody inspection.
I also plan to get all plastic/rubber flappings replaced, but at TASS all that is expensive and I get the same lousy plastic.
So I need to find a good suspension guy.
Old 29th May 2007, 11:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Err...tsk, the pic ain't showing...

And since you say that the car has done 81K, it's high time for you to replace the dampers. Replace the springs as well. If you do get the suspension done up, change the following components.

Damper/spring combo, knuckle bushings, strut mountings, tie-rods/ends, centre-link, and complete fastener set.

Replacing the above would give a new lease of life to the car. Provided they're done by a good mech..
Old 29th May 2007, 12:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

veyron1, try doing a shift+reload?
I tried with multiple browsers the pic is visible.

I know the suspension needs work, therefore I don't want to go to TASS. They are good for regular work, but not for "expert jobs".
I think Noida members can point me to some "expert".
Old 29th May 2007, 14:18   #4
BHPian

Ya Tanveer I think it's time for an overhaul. 81K is amazing, considering the fact that you've taken the car into the mountains etc. If you are going to keep the car, I would recomend a complete change of all components, just as Veyron has.
Old 29th May 2007, 14:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the tips guys. I plan to keep the car, and maybe take it to the mountains again. In the pic I see something badly twisted. I appears that the damper is being held by just the rubber. Is that the case?
After seeing this I cringe every time the car goes over a pothole.
Old 29th May 2007, 14:48   #6
BHPian

tsk, it is just the rubber bellow which has come off, the damper is bolted on the top to the ripper bush (not in the Pic), get it checked but nothing to worry abt.
Old 18th September 2007, 10:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Any good workshop in pune for getting NHC suspension work doen?
Old 18th September 2007, 11:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Any good workshop in pune for getting NHC suspension work doen?
Deccan Honda ??
Old 18th September 2007, 12:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Deccan Honda? Sure, suitable for suspension charity work:-)
Old 18th September 2007, 13:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
veyron1, try doing a shift+reload?
I tried with multiple browsers the pic is visible.

I know the suspension needs work, therefore I don't want to go to TASS. They are good for regular work, but not for "expert jobs".
I think Noida members can point me to some "expert".
Hi tsk1979, there's this Star Auto Garage in Sec-16 market from where I have been getting my service/repair work done for the past 2 years. I won't say that these guys are experts, but they know what they are doing and have done a pretty decent job so far. If you go there, ask for Raju bhai as he is quite a knowledgeable fellow and pretty experienced on Tata and Maruti cars.

Most Viewed