Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2007, 17:43   #1
BHPian

Storing a Indica diesel for 6-8 weeks

Hi,

I am an IT guy and had recently bought an Indica Turbo in March 07. I would probably be traveling to the US for a short term assignment for around 6-8 weeks. I need to know what all I need to do to my car so that when I come back its still in good condition and can start off right away.

I don't want to come back and then see that I have to do a long list of things before it can run again. Help!!

Thanks,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh711 : 29th May 2007 at 17:47.
Old 29th May 2007, 17:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Disconnect the battery and jack up the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground
Old 29th May 2007, 17:59   #3
BHPian

for 8 weeks, nothing much needs to be done, disconnect the battery terminal & cover the car.

before storing, inflate tires a bit more than normal, avoid parking on moist surface.

i have parked my indica for 8+weeks due to projects, & it started in one shot after return.
Old 29th May 2007, 18:28   #4
BHPian

fill up the fuel tank too
Old 29th May 2007, 19:23   #5
BHPian

Disconnecting just one terminal should be enough right? And how much more air should I pump in my tyres? I mean by how many PSIs? 5-6 points?

MODS: Could you please change the title of the thread to "Storing an Indica diesel for 6-8 weeks"

Last edited by saurabh711 : 29th May 2007 at 19:24. Reason: Requesting change for inital post
Old 29th May 2007, 20:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh711 View Post
Disconnecting just one terminal should be enough right? And how much more air should I pump in my tyres? I mean by how many PSIs? 5-6 points?

MODS: Could you please change the title of the thread to "Storing an Indica diesel for 6-8 weeks"
Not one terminal...pls disconnect the negative terminal....keep airpressure 2-3psi more than normal...
Top up the fuel tank...if the car is in open, cover it up....

if it is in an apartment, appoint somebody who will come and clean it up twice a week....

Abhi
Old 29th May 2007, 22:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
Disconnect the battery and jack up the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground
Guys, that would mean 6-8 weeks of dis-connection and lack of use & recharge. Wouldnt this kill the battery ? Or atleast, reduce it's life ?

I would suggest - top up the diesel, have some one idle it for about 10 mintues every week atleast.
Old 29th May 2007, 22:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, that would mean 6-8 weeks of dis-connection and lack of use & recharge. Wouldnt this kill the battery ? Or atleast, reduce it's life ?
It would actually mean reduced rate of discharge (due to no load -compared to connection where there will be leakage of charge even if the engine is off over 6-8 months) and the prevention of acid solidification on its terminals that would in turn reduce the efficiency of current flow and has to be later cleaned with baking soda and a tooth brush to reinit the conductivity of the battery to original levels.

Quote:
I would suggest - top up the diesel, have some one idle it for about 10 mintues every week atleast.
Best solution - if anyone's around.
Old 29th May 2007, 22:48   #9
BHPian

Take adivice on fuel matter from an expert. My friend got his 800 ruined (rust in fuel tank) after he left it unattended for 9 mnths.
Old 29th May 2007, 23:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
jack up the car so all 4 wheels are off the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
fill up the fuel tank too
Guys, can you please explain a bit on why these steps need to be taken? Thanks!
Old 29th May 2007, 23:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

So that the tyres donot deform due to being stationary for too long.

And filling up, to avoid rust formation. But unlikely in such a short span of time, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions.

Drifter
Old 29th May 2007, 23:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

saurabh, i have at least twice left my car standing for 4-6 weeks in the last 2 years. On both occassions I disconnected the battery completely and covered the car. For a longer duration (say 6-7 months) even lifting the car off the tyres helps. However its not needed for 1-2 months IMO.

Do not forget to cover the car as well as you can. You may leave one window half inch rolled down if safe. Also while disconnecting the battery follow the order of terminals to release as given in the manual. You will again need to follow the order when you reconnect it back later.

Edit: After disconnecting the battery the central locking will not function. Ensure that all the doors have been manually locked before you leave.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th May 2007 at 23:28.
Old 30th May 2007, 07:11   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, considering that this is a diesel, is it better to do regular idling than to make her hibernate.

@Zappo, what car did you leave idle for that period ? And that was a good point about the central locking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Edit: After disconnecting the battery the central locking will not function.
Old 30th May 2007, 09:41   #14
BHPian

do not fill up tank......just leave minimum, as diesel tends to settle tar & gum at bottom if left for too long, so leave only minimum5-6 ltrs, tires would not loose too much pressure in 8weeks, so just pump up 3psi mre than regular.

Disconnect earthed(-ve) terminal, cover up the vehicle, no need to jack up for 8 weeks, as this time is not long enough to cause severe pressure loss causing permanent deforming.

after you come back:
1. connect battery terminal
2. start the vehicle
3. keep it idle for 5-10 minutes, then accelerate in nuetral to the point such that battery sign in i/p goes away.
4. go to a fuel station, refill & get tires inflated to correct pressure.
Old 30th May 2007, 12:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all what Arun has said above. Diesel cars should not be topped up with Diesel. No need to jack up the car just have the tire pressure of 1 or 2 PSI more than the recommended pressure.

I have left my car for over 3 months multiple times and that has not affected my car at all. Even my battery lasted for 6 years (Can you beleive it).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks