Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 15:25   #16
BHPian

On Chennai sand, I think its impossible, its too loose and soft.. The Baleno seemed to be on wet hard sand, so no problem there.

There is a vacand ground next to my house (I stay 300 m from the sea in ECR), atleast once a week, a car or truck gets stuck there.

Sometimes a sand lorry or a cement lorry gets stuck, the driver tries by accellerating, it gets more stuck, then the ENTIRE load (cement, bricks or sand) has to be offloaded and then loaded back. This happens atleast once a week.

So guys, please be very careful when you try, Chennaites, be even more careful.
Old 31st May 2007, 17:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Sometimes a sand lorry or a cement lorry gets stuck, the driver tries by accellerating, it gets more stuck, then the ENTIRE load (cement, bricks or sand) has to be offloaded and then loaded back. This happens atleast once a week.
They are anyways overloaded and underpowered to get out of this stuck in situation. Offloading is the only way out, nouse trying other methods.
Old 1st June 2007, 06:39   #18
BHPian

Fun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Whats the idea behind doing it?
I think this is done on the dunes and I don't know if chennai has dunes
I haven't driven a 4WD but then my baleno did pretty ok on the beach in ECR.
Happy beach driving .
The idea - FUN obviously!

No Chennai does not have dunes; but if it can be done on dunes, why not on flat beach sand.

A baleno? How does a two wheel drive car manage that? Won't the non-powered wheels get stuck or were you plain lucky?
Old 1st June 2007, 07:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
The idea - FUN obviously!

No Chennai does not have dunes; but if it can be done on dunes, why not on flat beach sand.

A baleno? How does a two wheel drive car manage that? Won't the non-powered wheels get stuck or were you plain lucky?
Murugan..i understand your idea of fun.. GO AHEAD EXPLORE the limits and enjoy!!
Old 1st June 2007, 13:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually it is the powered wheels that get stuck. Since the other wheels are non-powered, the car can't be pulled out. In case of 4WD, if one set of powered wheels get stuck, the other set of powered wheels can pull it out.
But if you are unlucky, both set of wheels can get stuck even with 4WD.
Old 1st June 2007, 13:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier , I was running the car on 205's and yes they are pretty wide.
It all depends on how much you accelerate and brake.

Please my earlier post , couple of beers + mad brains = everything is possible .
Old 1st June 2007, 13:43   #22
BHPian

4WD vehicles are not immune to getting stuck. They are just better at handling slippery conditions than 2WD vehicles.

When handling any condition, it is best to get out of the vehicle, plot a route and drive accordingly.

When driving on sand, you have to have wide tyres and also reduce your tyre pressure. Use of the brakes is also very important. Have given an example below using a 2WD drive vehicle. Same principle applies to 4WD also.

In case you get stuck in a 2WD vehicle where only 1 wheel is spinning, let the engine idle in 1st gear with clutch out. The wheel which is capable of traction will not spin as all the power gets transferred to the wheel with no grip (thats why the 1 wheel starts spinning). slowly apply the brake to reduce the amount of power going to the spinning wheel. At one point of time, the wheel which has grip (the one which is not spinning) will start moving, and help in getting the car out. This will of course work only if the wheel which is not spinning, is not on some slippery surface.

The important thing to remember is to do this slowly. If required you shud accelerate also while braking. This is for FWD vehicles. For RWD vehicles, use the handbrake instead of the brake.
Old 1st June 2007, 13:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Do this in a normal FWD sedan and smell your clutch burn. There is not enough torque at low rpms to manage such stunts. Diesel SuVs are capable of this, but not a sedan. I would prefer a shovel to dig a trench or helping hand.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2007, 08:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

Heres a TBHP beach comparison of :

Willy's Jeep
vs
Landrover Defender
vs
1.6L B16 OHC with racing clutch

> you will see snippits in the video.

Be very smooth and slow with your accelerating and braking.

cya
R
Old 8th June 2007, 08:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
4WD vehicles are not immune to getting stuck. They are just better at handling slippery conditions than 2WD vehicles.

When handling any condition, it is best to get out of the vehicle, plot a route and drive accordingly.

When driving on sand, you have to have wide tyres and also reduce your tyre pressure. Use of the brakes is also very important. Have given an example below using a 2WD drive vehicle. Same principle applies to 4WD also.

In case you get stuck in a 2WD vehicle where only 1 wheel is spinning, let the engine idle in 1st gear with clutch out. The wheel which is capable of traction will not spin as all the power gets transferred to the wheel with no grip (thats why the 1 wheel starts spinning). slowly apply the brake to reduce the amount of power going to the spinning wheel. At one point of time, the wheel which has grip (the one which is not spinning) will start moving, and help in getting the car out. This will of course work only if the wheel which is not spinning, is not on some slippery surface.

The important thing to remember is to do this slowly. If required you shud accelerate also while braking. This is for FWD vehicles. For RWD vehicles, use the handbrake instead of the brake.
hey thats a nice update!! will try next time..
Old 8th June 2007, 17:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In case you get stuck in a 2WD vehicle where only 1 wheel is spinning, let the engine idle in 1st gear with clutch out.
One doubt here.. Can you elaborate on the Clutch Out thing.. Does this mean to release the clutch slowly without accelerating so that the other wheel gets more power to pull the vehicle out??

Godfather
Old 9th June 2007, 10:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would say both slippery and stuck in situations however it takes an experienced hand to get even a 4WD from these conditions and even with those, it doesnt work sometimes, its just a machine with additional features and difficult to beat mother nature. I myself got stuck with a 4WD Gypsy long time back under slippery conditions with an ascent, the 4WD didnt help the climb.
Old 9th June 2007, 15:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
One doubt here.. Can you elaborate on the Clutch Out thing.. Does this mean to release the clutch slowly without accelerating so that the other wheel gets more power to pull the vehicle out??

Godfather
yes. u have to release the clutch slowly, or u risk stalling.

the idea is to get the wheel that is spinning upto speed, then apply brake slowly to transfer some power to the wheel that is not spinning.

if u feel the engine going to stall when u apply brake, slowly accelerate also, to send enough power to the wheel that is not spinning.

somewhat hard to explain. try it out, with one wheel on sand, and the other on tarmac.
Old 10th June 2007, 09:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes. u have to release the clutch slowly, or u risk stalling.

the idea is to get the wheel that is spinning upto speed, then apply brake slowly to transfer some power to the wheel that is not spinning.

if u feel the engine going to stall when u apply brake, slowly accelerate also, to send enough power to the wheel that is not spinning.

somewhat hard to explain. try it out, with one wheel on sand, and the other on tarmac.
Yup Sawan,, I am gonna try it out sometime and will keep you guys posted..That is really a nice tip and from what i gather you are actually operating on the principles of LSD..Limited Slip differrential..techically it should get you out..AND we need GOOD TYRES!!

Old 10th June 2007, 11:46   #30
BANNED

heheh i experienced it with my scorpio once..went on through the sand that was brought up for construction near my house....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks