Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 14:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

How tuff are they??

Am one among people who love to travel on thier own...... so might be driving or riding.. one has to be ready to face any kind of road conditions.....so a question comes to my mind quiet often.... "to tour "Suv's" are recomended or can the "sedan's" aslo can take some beating??

i have a OHC...till now have noticed that ground clearence is what i need to worry in some places... other then that the car can take most of the roads....here am not talking about offroading part...

Want to know how much beating can a sedan take compared to the suv's???

thanks ...
lohithrao is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2007, 15:11   #2
Team-BHP Support

Cars are pretty tough. Some are more tough than others. For roughshod use we have found that the Tata's are tough. Our 800 used to require a new bushkit every 4 months due to farm visits, but indica changed all that.
Among other cars, I have seen that the Getz also takes abuse well, with hardly any rattles creeping in.
Even the Palio is very hardy, the high profile tires playing their part here.
As for GC, if you are careful, you will not scrape even on the worst highways, of course you cant run around with gay abandon in a sedan.
That said the modern heavy sedans with thicker panels are more robust than thin sheet cars like Santro/Esteem/Wagon R etc., when it comes to rattles which creep in due to rough use.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Except GC and traction probs, cars can pretty much handle the worst of roads.

Cars are pretty competent that way. I've take my Vtec on really bad roads and it had no issues getting through it.

Shan2nu
Old 31st May 2007, 17:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Most vehicles are nowadays very robust unless a problem is already present and you venture out with it. I have driven vehicles with roads/no roads, in mud, gravel, in villages and across small streams of water.

The only precaution is to not to test your vehicle no matter SUV or sedans with water, unless you know that the depth is well below.

One way to check if you face similar situation is to walk through the water first (to check the depth) and even never try to pass small streams during rainy season with gushing water flow (the pressure is too much and the soil loose).
Old 31st May 2007, 17:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Lesser roads in Munnar, lotsa car-width stretches and impossible 3 point turns in Coorg, Bannerghata road for 3 years in its worst phase - the ol' 1.3 has seen it all!!! Cars are plenty tough!
Old 31st May 2007, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Baleno with bigger tyres also can take bad roads pretty well !
Old 1st June 2007, 00:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ive been torturing my accent for years now,no rattles no issues except for GC at some very high speed breakers.Sedans have better dynamic ability which translates into more comfortable drive at speeds whereas with SUV's we need to be more careful because of high COG and body roll but it all depends on how broken are the roads.
Old 1st June 2007, 10:14   #8
BHPian

In the past my Esteem (type II) had seen really rough roads in Karnataka (Badami) without any rattles or tyre punctures. Actually they were not roads but paths with some patches of tar for a change.....

I am almost sure that my Swift can not take this road again without rattles set in afterwards..Swift is just not a car for bad roads.

I find Maruti Gypsy to be the super silent car on bad roads
Old 1st June 2007, 11:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I am almost sure that my Swift can not take this road again without rattles set in afterwards..Swift is just not a car for bad roads.
I have to disagree here. Swift D is an improved car. I have taken it in places where there were no roads or roads with only potholes driving pretty confortably. The car has come out unblemished. It is rugged and it has a high ground clearence of 170 mm. which is an advantage driving in rural areas.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Cars are pretty tough. Some are more tough than others. For roughshod use we have found that the Tata's are tough. Our 800 used to require a new bushkit every 4 months due to farm visits, but indica changed all that.
our indica has gone to places where only SUVs can go. thats the reason we decided not to sell it in last feb. as we were planning to have farm house.
Old 4th June 2007, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the responses.

Agree cars are tuff, and i think the only issue is the ground clearence. but have noticed that the suvs like "Safari" "Scorpio" "Innova" dont have that great ground clearence.
Old 4th June 2007, 16:04   #12
Team-BHP Support

Nope, they are tough, but SUVs are tougher. You hit a deep crater at 60kmph on a SUV, you will get jarred, but in a sedan you may brake a strut. So if you take your sedan to a non existant road you have to be very careful, and you cannot drive with the same carelessness which can be forgiven in a SUV.
But with careful driving, and absence of bottom scraping ruts or slush, on a very bad road your sedan will do fine. With a SUV you will be able to go faster without harming your vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks