Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 12:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Effect of parking on slope/incline

I wanted to know what are the adverse effects (if any) of parking a car at a slope/incline, specially for longer durations.
The following are the possible posiotions:
1. Inclined plane
2. Declined plane
3. Right of the car at an inclined position
4. Left of the car at an inclined position
Old 4th June 2007, 13:35   #2
BHPian

apart from all the fliud levels showing different readings than the actual on the meters, i guess there should not be any other issue.....i assume that all thr four wheels rest in the same plane which is incllined/declined to the normal

not sure about points 3 & 4, mentioned above.

Last edited by zakaaaaasss : 4th June 2007 at 13:40.
Old 4th June 2007, 17:47   #3
BHPian

Same question's been running thru my mind as well. I would think the tyres on one side would be bearing more load if the car is inclined - could affect tyre life?
MC Mayank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2007, 18:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Might not effect the tyres but if your car in inclined for long lets say 1 year or more, might affect the suspension/coil springs, seatings, shockers etc, due to uneven distribution of weight over time.
Old 4th June 2007, 18:52   #5
BHPian

ya so wouldn't the uneven load distribution also put stress on the tyre walls and thus affect tyre life?
MC Mayank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2007, 19:06   #6
Team-BHP Support

prolonged parking on heavy incline will cause issues, depends on the duration and the incline angle.

parts that immediately comes to mind and that might suffer:
Springs, shokies to an extent
chassis (flex), first symptom is door squeak
tyre
Old 4th June 2007, 19:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Chassis flex would be most likely to occur if the car was put with wheels on different levels, ie one wheel on a stone and the other 3 on a flat surface, or something to that effect.
Old 4th June 2007, 19:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

yup agree with v1p3r on that. again loaded car on incline also causes more damage to suspension as i did with an omni fully loaded with coconut, parked for a week lol it took another 1 month for the leaf springs to come into shape
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2007, 19:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

A van full of coconuts??!! Jaggu...
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2007, 19:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
yup agree with v1p3r on that. again loaded car on incline also causes more damage to suspension as i did with an omni fully loaded with coconut, parked for a week lol it took another 1 month for the leaf springs to come into shape
The loading you're talking about here is relative right. Even if there wasn't a single coconut in the car, the differential loading would still be a phenomenon.
Old 25th October 2010, 00:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

effect of un-levelled parking on wheel-balancing

hi..

i park my car out on the street in one the "mains"/"crosses" of bangalore..
i have been generally parking it under a tree but due since theres a steady deposition of crow **** on the car, the paint is being affected.. so, i have been thinking of parking it in a different place..

the problem is, to park the car in a way it does not obstruct traffic in any way, I would have to slightly park it on the cement pavements that are made to cover the drainage..

so, the right back tyre and the front right tyre would be slightly elevated..

to what extent would wheel alignment/wheel balancing be affected by parking the car in such a way continuously.. i use the car hardly twice a week or so, so its gonna be idle for quite a while..

i have seen people park cars on the pavements with as much as a 20 deg tilt but feel that will really affect the axle..
Old 18th March 2013, 23:13   #12
BHPian

Re: Effect of parking on slope/incline

Even I have the same question. For the last three days, the empty site where I used to park my car have started construction and I don't have any other place other than a 50-60 deg slope with the front facing the highest part. Theoretically, the weight on the front should be less than what it used to be but I'm not sure if this would have any effect in the transmission/tubes of any oils/fuel so, would require expert opinions and comments!

So far, I haven't noticed any leaks on the ground...
Old 8th March 2016, 08:39   #13
BHPian

I can attest to chassis flex scenario. Once on my wagon-R, the door refused to close properly after parking on an uneven surface. The door lock would not align with the B-pillar's hinge near driver door and I was under the impression that lock went bad. I could not figure out what went wrong that day, but now I can understand why.

Last edited by devsoftech : 8th March 2016 at 08:42.
Old 10th March 2016, 13:39   #14
BHPian

Re: effect of un-levelled parking on wheel-balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
hi..
so, the right back tyre and the front right tyre would be slightly elevated..

to what extent would wheel alignment/wheel balancing be affected by parking the car in such a way continuously.. i use the car hardly twice a week or so, so its gonna be idle for quite a while..
Since car is unloaded, the only thing that will get affected are the tyres and chassis. You will start to realize cracks on the tyres that are towards the lower side of the incline which will take the max load due to gravity. Chassis too will get affected but only during long time parking.

One thought though, is there a possibility that you can have some sand on the lower side of incline so that it levels atleast few degrees with the incline ?
Old 18th February 2017, 20:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
hi..
the problem is, to park the car in a way it does not obstruct traffic in any way, I would have to slightly park it on the cement pavements that are made to cover the drainage..

i have seen people park cars on the pavements with as much as a 20 deg tilt but feel that will really affect the axle..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
Even I have the same question. For the last three days, the empty site where I used to park my car have started construction and I don't have any other place other than a 50-60 deg slope with the front facing the highest part. Theoretically, the weight on the front should be less than what it used to be but I'm not sure if this would have any effect in the transmission/tubes of any oils/fuel so, would require expert opinions and comments!

So far, I haven't noticed any leaks on the ground...
Bumping on an old thread.

If you guys have been doing stepped/inclined parking of your cars till now, can you please let us know if you have seen any issues or concerns in this long run?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks