Team-BHP - Swift Maintenance - Are Maruti going overboard on certain mandatory replacements
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Swift Maintenance - Are Maruti going overboard on certain mandatory replacements (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/24798-swift-maintenance-maruti-going-overboard-certain-mandatory-replacements.html)

BHPians,

The 20 K, 40K , 60K, 80K.... major servicing has following additional replacements over and above engine oil/filter changes-

1. Transmission oil
2. Brake oil
3.Engine Coolant
4. Spark plugs (for petrol)
5. Clutch Oil (For Diesel)
6. Air filter (For Diesel)

It seems Maruti is going overboard on 20K servicing on the swift:Shockked: .

Can I get views on how cars from other manufacturers in same category handle the above replacements. I would also like your views on whether these replacements are mandatory in such frequent intervals.

Guys need some inputs from other car owners. Please help so that we can take some examples to Maruti to convince them that 20K service shouldn't include some of the above replacements.

Isn't it obviously good for your car if all these lubricants are changed frequently?

Hi,

I recently did a 20k service for my Baleno. They changed all of the things you have noted down. I had specifically asked for a coolant flush because I saw that it was turning a bit brownish. But beyond that, I think some of the changes were unnecessary. I got a hefty 3.5k bill for the 20k service. Changed engine oil, flushed coolant, spark plugs, brake oil, oil filter, and something more. The labour charges were around 1.5k.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 458294)
BHPians,

The 20 K, 40K , 60K, 80K.... major servicing has following additional replacements over and above engine oil/filter changes-

1. Transmission oil
2. Brake oil
3.Engine Coolant
4. Spark plugs (for petrol)
5. Clutch Oil (For Diesel)
6. Air filter (For Diesel)

Can I get views on how cars from other manufacturers in same category handle the above replacements. I would also like your views on whether these replacements are mandatory in such frequent intervals.

I read and heard same thing. Swift needs more maintanance compared with Pailo, UVA, Getz. Small dent on its body would cost more money comapred with other cars in its class.

20k service would cost around 5,000 rs. but it varies little bit and even it varies from service station to place..

Off topic: This is the formula on cars in Swift's class.

Swift has found wonderfull success in India mianly for its look and its cheap to buy and slightly costly to maintain when compared with its compitetion.

Bottomline at the end of the day all cars one and the same.

Purchasing and Fuel bill we saved with Swift we will end with maintenance.
Money we saved with buying and maintenace with Palio we end up with its bad resale value and less economy.
For Getz we pay more and buy and pay more for Fuel Bill and loose out with resale value.

If we compare this way Swift is the winner !

If we give importance to rugged solid car its Pailo any day.

Regards,

Ravi.

20K service done couple of weeks back at MASS. Costed me <2.5k!

Replacements
Engine oil, oil filter, gear oil, coolant, brake fluid

Spark plugs only at 40K they said!!

Service
Paid service, IAC valve cleaning, brake o/h.

DieselFan@ hey i think its common in all the cars, recently i got 80k service for my car"OHC" and honda had recommended all the above meantioned changes. costed me 4k.

i think its good for the car though not very good for the owners:)

NHC Gxi 2004 model, done 46000 KM so far:

Coolent:
Honda has clearly mentioned the coolent should be replaced at 2 lack KM.

Spark Plugs:
Replace at 40000 KM
(Spark plugs for NHC are cheap ~Rs. 70 per plug. NHC-iDSI has 8 plugs so total ~Rs. 300). For this price, I don't mind replacing them every 20,000 KM also. But they do it only at 40,000.

Transmission Oil:
Honda reccomends - Replace at 60000 KM.
However, Deccan Honda said they do it 40,000 KM.

So to summarize:
At 20,000 KM, all that's replaced is Oil and Oil filter. Pretty much a regular service. Nothing special...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkibike (Post 459495)
20K service done couple of weeks back at MASS. Costed me <2.5k!

Replacements
Engine oil, oil filter, gear oil, coolant, brake fluid

Spark plugs only at 40K they said!!

Service
Paid service, IAC valve cleaning, brake o/h.

Nikkibike - can you please give the breakup of the costs and the MASS you went to. Where are you put up?

that i think is nuts. And this ain't no automatic transmission swift man? WHy you need a transmission flush for? Oil filter along with engine oil i can understand. But why the transmission oil. My Golf has 89000 miles on it. So thats approx 1,44,000 kms and no transmission oil change. THen why do we change the oil on a swift at 20K ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselFan (Post 458294)
BHPians,

It's not just the swift , maruti has similar recommendations for most of their cars, including the bare-bones m800! In anycase, changing all those lubricants, and coolants is good for your car, so dont worry ,its kind of an okay thing to do :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by techn0l0gist (Post 459907)
It's not just the swift , maruti has similar recommendations for most of their cars, including the bare-bones m800! In anycase, changing all those lubricants, and coolants is good for your car, so dont worry ,its kind of an okay thing to do :)

Yes I do agree it is good but is it essential. Are we going overboard on changing everything at short intervals of 20K. Brake fluid I can understand needs to be changed (Based on some reviews I have read but still debatable) but why Clutch fluid and transmission oil?

I have written to Maruti but have not received any reply so far. Is there a email ID of a Maruti official from whom I can expect a response. Can someone share the same with me.

Can someone share part list of comonly used parts and consumables for Swift?

I read this thread a couple of times over and I still don't get it. Why would you call periodic car maintenance a case of "going overboard". Don't you think there might be a reason for a manufacturer recommending certain actions at specified time intervals??

What am I missing here?

None of the other car dealers recommend Transmission oil change at 20K km. Niether they recommend replacing clutch oil at 20K. Collant replacement is again not at 20K. All these are done at least at 40K KM intervals or higher. Hope you got it now.