Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 12:33   #1
BHPian

Automatic Engine Decarbonisation

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion in our Engine Decarbonisation Article. Thanks

Hey guys,

Today when I went to Maturi authorised service center in Mumbai for First service of my Swift Vxi. The service centrey guy told me about a device that can be fitted near the injectors which will not allow any carbon deposits in the engine. He also told me that I will not have to go for any decarb which is ideally recommended after 20K km.

Does anybody have idea about this device? The price quoted by him was 2100.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2013 at 12:00. Reason: Adding link to our decarb article
Old 8th June 2007, 14:20   #2
BHPian

I have my doubts this Automatic Engine Decarb will really be effective. It might reduce it to a certain extent.

cheers
Hellcat
Old 8th June 2007, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

What is it called? Fuel Analyser? Magnetic Fuel Saver? Magnetic Fuel Cleaner? Ask him how it works. It's usually hogwash. Like the magnetic device they clip to the fuel line to attract impurities and increase mileage or some magic or something of the sort. I recommend stay away. They maybe Maruti authorised service centres, but they are no saints. The same guy will decarb your engine at 20k without asking you, and it will show up in the bill.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:32   #4
BHPian

hey dont go for gimmicks played by sales agents sitting at authorised centers.

I dont know the principle of any instrument so far which can clean up carbon deposit just by clip-on on a running car.

Dear only fuel additives & engine oil additives helps upto an extent to do the detergent job.as they circulates through moving parts.

otherwise it has to be done manually or by using some engine flush solvent.

Dont go for it, or ask the principle on which it works.
Old 8th June 2007, 15:40   #5
BANNED

Don't fall for it, all snake oil, the only way to decarb barring aside removing the head is with stuff like Gumont Regane or carbon cleaning machine and an Italian tune up, actually do the Italian tune up once and month and you won't have carbon, explanation of Italian Tune up at Call Rusty @ (800) 741-5252 for more Mercedes parts at better prices - Mercedes Benz OE and OEM parts
Old 10th June 2007, 08:17   #6
BANNED

There is an Automatic De-Carb machine on all Bajaj dealership. I've done a De-Carb on my Pulsar last month. The bike is not so smooth after the De-Carb. Wondering what they have done ???
Old 10th June 2007, 09:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

My car is almost due for the 20K service. They told me that decarb would be done. It would cost around 1500/-. Is it really necessary ? What are the after effects ?

Do other manufacturers also have decarb on their normal service schedule ?
Old 10th June 2007, 09:55   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
My car is almost due for the 20K service. They told me that decarb would be done. It would cost around 1500/-. Is it really necessary ? What are the after effects ?

Do other manufacturers also have decarb on their normal service schedule ?

Go for it, you will benefit from a smoother long lasting engine as well as better fuel economy, what happens is our cars do lots of short start stop and go city duty which leads to carbon accumulating, in case you do lots of highway driving, carbon cleaning will never be necessary.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:08   #9
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

Can someone please explain what exactly does the A.S.S do when they decarb the engine at 20K intervals.

Do they run the engine with a special additive in the fuel?
Is there any way of verifying that they have actually done the decarbonization?

Is decarb recommended if the vehicle has not been used for an extended period, say 6 months and over?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cypher : 31st August 2007 at 11:18. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 31st August 2007, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Total Bu..S..T. It doesn't work. As the guy as to how a device fitted externally will prevent production of carbon that is a result of internal combustion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Hey guys,

Today when I went to Maturi authorised service center in Mumbai for First service of my Swift Vxi. The service centrey guy told me about a device that can be fitted near the injectors which will not allow any carbon deposits in the engine. He also told me that I will not have to go for any decarb which is ideally recommended after 20K km.

Does anybody have idea about this device? The price quoted by him was 2100.
Old 1st September 2007, 21:10   #11
BHPian

My earlier M800 was decarbed at 30K. Could not make any sifnificant difference. They charged me 1100 for that.
Old 2nd September 2007, 20:56   #12
BHPian

Had my Baleno de-carbed at 20k last week. I feel like I 've been ripped off. No discernible difference in the running, if at all, the engine is not pulling as well as before.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:59   #13
BHPian

Flushing of the automatic transmission system also is often recommended by service centers as a routine maintenance item. But most manufacturers say it's not needed until at least 70000 kms if then check the owner's manual for when it should be done.
Old 3rd September 2007, 11:52   #14
BHPian

Hey buddy, it's just a marketing gimmick. I had the misfortune of being ripped off by the service adviser who somehow pestered me long enough to attach this device, which is just coupla magnets actually. They cannot provide any benefit in preventing carbon build up.

I guess it's better to avoid this so called decarb kit and go for regular decarb at 20K Kms and provide timely maintenance (oil/air-oil-fuel filter changes) to the car.

Though I have one query for the gurus, which is: I have seen many cars which have registered high mileage without any decarb being done and are still running fine. So is decarb really required for today's cars?
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

this device is now available @ 1700; a brand called "XANG XING" with absolutely NO sales. I saw in Indicare, Delhi. They dont have any manufacturers' endorsements, rather are kept on consignment basis in dealerships with over 60% net margins!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks