Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 22:18   #1
BHPian

Motorized throttle intake..what is it?

HI team BHP..

What is "Motorised throttle intake". The Sales people at GM tout the Spark as having one? What benefit does it give? Are there any other cars in India which have this?

Thanks

Nimz
Old 9th June 2007, 01:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hain?? GM inventing new terminology?

Could be Variable Geometry Intake. Need to check Matiz's powertrain info. But it ain't motorised, for sure.
Old 9th June 2007, 01:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

No, its not an invented by GM terminolgy Lol. Actually there is some good amount of material available on the Net about Motorized throttle intake/valve. Google the term.
Old 9th June 2007, 01:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

You could call a drive-by-wire throttle a motorized throttle/intake. Accelerator pedal has no cable, it is instead connected to a potentiometer. That in turn feeds voltages to a motor, which flips the throttle plate accordingly.

Atul, you need to start drinking. Alcohol is an amazing source of lucidity...
Old 9th June 2007, 02:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

known as ETC in automotive circles. Electronic Throttle Control. Among other things it can give you cruise control for free.
Old 9th June 2007, 03:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

ETC, understood. DBW (Drive by wire), understood....motorised throttle bodies..all heard of, worked upon. Heard this (motorised throttle intake) for the first time, iske liye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Accelerator pedal has no cable, it is instead connected to a potentiometer. That in turn feeds voltages to a motor, which flips the throttle plate accordingly.
Actually in drive by wire, the potentiometer is moulded to accelerator pedal as one unit- and signals are sent to ECM, and then to the TB...a BIG headache in Palio D's...the accelerator pedal cannot be replaced as standalone...unit's very expensive...

Me? Alcohol? Aaahaha...but fikar not. Appy hai, na. Love that.

But Matiz is drive by wire...? Hm.
Old 9th June 2007, 07:12   #7
BANNED

Transceiver/Transducersetup, sensor at gas pedal sends signal to the throttle, cable and linkless, permits accurate throttle position, old technology, Honda put it in their turbo F-1 and BMW first on the streets in their M class, now we get fancy terms for this tech, after all, they have to sell old wine in new bottle, in this case, the Daewoo Matiz with a new engine and name.
Old 9th June 2007, 10:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Electronic Throttle Control. Among other things it can give you cruise control for free.
What??! How? How does it give Cruise Control for free? Is Cruise Control standard with ETC?

A
Old 9th June 2007, 22:46   #9
BHPian

Well..what I understand is that an electic motor is used to control the opening / closing of the intake valve instead of a bowden cable which is normally used.

And since this is electrically controlled, the same motor can be used in Cruise control, traction control among other. (These are some of the uses a ECT can be put to use) but I dont think these are there in the Spark.

I guess in the SPark, the opening and closing of the valves are controlled by the motor.

My doubts again - what would be the actual benefits?

I mean the motor can be programmed to kick in if the accelerator is pressed hard and not open the valve immediately..so the "actual" driving experience can be masked for reasons of engine life etc. Any other benefits in terms of pick up etc other than the obvious ones of not harming the engine??

ANy other current Indian cars using this?

Nimz
Old 13th June 2007, 20:26   #10
BHPian

In case it is of interest: Got this from a Chevy channel sales guy who called up someone in GM and gave me this:
During idling when the accelerator pedal is not depressed, the motorized throttle intake kicks in to ensure that a lean mixture goes in in the interests of FE in city driving conditions. I assume during a cold start it would ensure a rich mixture and during idling like in traffic it would do the above.

Nimz
Old 13th June 2007, 21:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
What??! How? How does it give Cruise Control for free? Is Cruise Control standard with ETC?

A
Typically you need a separate stepper motor and cables to execute cruise control all of which goes out of the window if you ahve ETC. It would only cost GM some switches, idiot lights and additional code to implement cruise control in the Spark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks