Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2007, 16:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Noise from Under the hood in the Swift

For the last couple of days, I have been noticing a peculiar noise (something like tak, tak) coming from under the hood towards the left side (co-driver side) wheel. The scenario is like this:
  • I am driving in 1st or 2nd gear at low speeds
  • I brake the vehicle and when the vehicle really slows down, the noise comes. The noise goes away if I depress the clutch completely. I do not depress the clutch till almost the last minute.
  • The noise is not there if I do the same while reversing the car
My car has done around 4100 km so far and I have not had any other problem so far. Any idea what this could be.

I plan to take the vehicle to MASS soon.

Thanks,
Biju
Old 10th June 2007, 16:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Speeds are too low for the engine to provide power, you will also notice frequent small jerks(knocks), which tells you to depress the clutch or the engine will stop.
Old 10th June 2007, 17:58   #3
BHPian

i think you should try downshifting the gear in this scenario and the sound should go away. You are revving too little for that gear so you have to shift so you have to shift to a lower gear
Old 10th June 2007, 18:54   #4
BHPian

The noise is most prolly the engine knocking due to low revs. Maybe you should try depressing the clutch a litter earlier.

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2007, 09:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
For the last couple of days, I have been noticing a peculiar noise (something like tak, tak) coming from under the hood towards the left side (co-driver side) wheel. The scenario is like this:
I brake the vehicle and when the vehicle really slows down, the noise comes. The noise goes away if I depress the clutch completely. I do not depress the clutch till almost the last minute.Biju
Many Swifts have this problem. I was personally involved in getting this rectified on one of my friend's 4.2k done Swift VXi.
(1) Check drive shaft! Many have excessive backlash!
(2) Check clutch assy!
(3) There is a 'link rod' in the suspension system. Tell them to specifically check its complete status!

+ all the normal extras... caliper, engine mountings, wheel nuts, wheel caps....blah blah!

All the above parts were replaced in above mentioned swift! Now its bliss!
Old 12th June 2007, 19:45   #6
BHPian

Check clutch cover is anything else fails. I had this problem
Old 12th June 2007, 20:37   #7

its defintely engine knocking as stated above. Your are running too ruch probably. Take it to your tuner and he should be able to fix up your AFR
Old 12th June 2007, 21:37   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Could it be as simple as a flexing hub cap?
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your suggestions guys!

It is not engine knocking for sure - because that is easily distinguishable. Besides, my driving habits have not changed for the knocking to appear all of a sudden. Today again I heard the noise which was more like a stone being shaken in a tin that too while slowing down and when the clutch was fully depressed. I am taking the car to MASS tomorrow. Let us see what happens - I hope the noise comes when I am at MASS.
Old 25th June 2007, 16:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Went to MASS over the weekend. Hard as we tried, the noise could not be reproduced during our test drives. They opened up the front wheel, looked at the other components and did not find anything amiss. Drove for about 30 km after that - no noise so far. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Most Viewed