Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 08:38   #1

Is the Indian R18A1 Honda Civic flawed?

https://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/how...been-replaced/
There are several resources that say that the R18 Civic (2006-2009) was flawed, and there was a callback due to engine blocks cracking.
There was no such article about the Indian Civic with the same engine though, and I couldn't find any information about callbacks, are the Indian Civics with the R18A1 engine affected too?

Why do I ask?
I am planning on getting one of these. Although the R18 engine isn't the best, and it's focused on fuel economy, there are many off the shelf parts (like turbo manifolds) available, and it has been well-documented (some forums like honda-tech and YouTube).
If the issue is prominent in India, I will hold off buying this.

I was also alternatively planning on getting a type 2 VTEC City, because I love the way it looks and there is quite a bit of space in the engine bay so it seems easy to work on, but it seems like the engine (b15c2) is a amalgamation of different parts (d15b motor with some VTEC piston heads) and is generally poorly documented, and a rookie such as myself prefers a better documented car like the R18 Civic.

Is there any information about the different engines used in the previous Civic generations in India? Wikipedia has some information, but it is mostly relevant to the USDM, I couldn't even find any information about the R18 Civic over there.
Old 7th April 2022, 11:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Is the Indian R18A1 Honda Civic flawed?

Should be able to delve deeper and find out exactly which engine and which batch of cars made where had faults but if you cannot, then you can simply go for a FL post 2009 model if you are worried about such flaws. Another option could be a Kizashi it uses the J24B Suzuki motor with a block that was rated to handle upwards of 500bhp and loads of space in the engine bay since it was designed to house a 3.6L GM V6 so it also might be a good car to extract performance out of although there will be far less documentation available on the internet for modifications
Old 7th April 2022, 16:22   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
https://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/how...been-replaced/
There are several resources that say that the R18 Civic (2006-2009) was flawed, and there was a callback due to engine blocks cracking.
I had a 2007 Civic for a decade and my information is probably anecdotal, but I haven't heard of engine blocks cracking. Here are some common issues that were prevalent in many Civics of that vintage.
  • Engine mount issue. Mine were replaced under warranty.
  • Takata airbag issue. I had to get both the airbag inflators replaced under a recall.
  • Power steering fluid leak.
  • Comfort-oriented, boat-like suspension that's just not suited for spirited driving.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 02:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Should be able to delve deeper and find out exactly which engine and which batch of cars made where had faults but if you cannot, then you can simply go for a FL post 2009 model if you are worried about such flaws. Another option could be a Kizashi it uses the J24B Suzuki motor with a block that was rated to handle upwards of 500bhp and loads of space in the engine bay since it was designed to house a 3.6L GM V6 so it also might be a good car to extract performance out of although there will be far less documentation available on the internet for modifications
Thanks, I will consider the Kizashi and look into it further.
The consumable spares seem to be available on boodmo for the most part, and it does seem like a good deal.
Do you have a source on the 500hp figure?

BUT, there seems to be a recall with this too
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...59469-0001.pdf
The ones for sale on sale seem to be later models than the ones afflicted, and they don't mention which region/batch had these issues either :((

The only reason I'm worried is because due to lenient laws, I assume the manufacturers can get away without issuing a recall in India (and perhaps even continue selling it for another year or two?)

As for finding more information on the batch of cars that had faults, Honda hasn't even officially issued a recall, they've instead issued extended warranty on the blocks in the US (although it has expired now), and the blocks seem to be cracking on high mileage cars (100,000 km+), so even over there, many people are left with cars with engine blocks prone to cracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I had a 2007 Civic for a decade and my information is probably anecdotal, but I haven't heard of engine blocks cracking. Here are some common issues that were prevalent in many Civics of that vintage.
  • Engine mount issue. Mine were replaced under warranty.
  • Takata airbag issue. I had to get both the airbag inflators replaced under a recall.
  • Power steering fluid leak.
  • Comfort-oriented, boat-like suspension that's just not suited for spirited driving.
Thanks, this is very helpful! Looks like none of the issues are particularly serious.
Can the airbag inflators still be replaced under recall? I found a Honda article about it, but they don't state when the recall will end.
https://www.hondacarindia.com/media/...ators-in-india
Old 8th April 2022, 08:38   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Is the Indian R18A1 Honda Civic flawed?

Since you are looking to modify & go fast with a budget purchase, better you buy a Laura or Octavia 1.8 TSI. These cars were direct competitors in the segment and came turbo-charged from the factory. Plentiful after-market support too. I would get these as a modification project over the Civic & I say this as an ex-Civic owner.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 13:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
Thanks, I will consider the Kizashi and look into it further.
The consumable spares seem to be available on boodmo for the most part, and it does seem like a good deal.
Do you have a source on the 500hp figure?
Can google it yourself there was even a car with forged pistons, rods, revised intake and a turbo and intercooler that ran the Bonneville Salt Flats with an average run of 327kph it put out 500bhp and 569nm of torque. Road Race motorsports in the US also sold turbo kits up until a certain point and showed off a turbo Kiz at SEMA long back. There are also a few in North America running twin turbo set-ups. Might have to go through forums like Kizashiclub to get all the information but yeah the block of the motor won't let you down and the space in the engine bay might prove a boon. Apart from the reliable mechanicals the car also has loads of mechanical grip to take advantage of infact Suzuki were at one point even testing an estate version as well as a turbo charged AWD version to go up against the Subaru Impreza and Mitsubishi Evo before they canned the entire project.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 8th April 2022 at 13:29.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 04:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you are looking to modify & go fast with a budget purchase, better you buy a Laura or Octavia 1.8 TSI. These cars were direct competitors in the segment and came turbo-charged from the factory. Plentiful after-market support too. I would get these as a modification project over the Civic & I say this as an ex-Civic owner.
Already have a Laura 2.0 TDI in the garage, and although it's extremely fun to drive, I just want something to work on now
It isn't mine, but since it's just lying in the garage, I can use it whenever I want, although it's pretty much falling apart and probably going to be sold soon.

Also, just saving this link over here if anyone is too lazy to Google and wants to know what modifications were carried out on the Bonneville Kizashi Ishaan mentioned
https://www.motorbeam.com/320-kmph-s...neville-bound/
and some more info on the kizashiclub thread
https://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3308

I'm hooked, going to search for a Kizashi now
Sadly I guess many parts will have to be fabricated just for it, which seems like a pain, but turbocharging actually seems quite easy to carry out if you have the correct tools (and someone that can fabricate the turbo manifold and other piping)

Last edited by Kami : 9th April 2022 at 04:49.
Kami is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks