Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 18:42   #16
BANNED

Ignition system . more importantly the spark plugs . Are you using the correct spark plugs ?
Old 15th June 2007, 09:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Ignition system . more importantly the spark plugs . Are you using the correct spark plugs ?

haven't changed the spark plugs in the near future...so don't think anything might have gone wrong there..but will check up nevertheless

~A
Old 15th June 2007, 22:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
This is defn a clogged fuel filter or a wire to the fuel pump being grounded.
hey psycho how did u rule out ignition coil problems?? i was just curious.
Old 18th June 2007, 09:29   #19
BHPian

well guys there's an update....the problem was due to a badly clogged petrol filter :(

The fuel filter had turned completely black....and was replaced alongwith the air filter. The fuel filter was replaced exactly one year and 5000 kms ago...I really doubt how did it get clogged so soon since I always refuel from an reputed IBP petrol pump. Or doesit have to do something with my petrol tank which has not been cleaned for almost 5 - 6 yrs now ?

The car was running fine after the filters were replcaed , however, a new problem surfaced after that. Yesterday morning it again started giving start-up trouble and on little investigation it revealed that there was no petrol supply to the carburettor :(

Hope this is not a serious issue needing the fuel pump motor replacement or something !

~A
Old 18th June 2007, 09:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is probably a faulty fuel pump as many folks pointed out here. Please try and check the fuel pump.
Old 18th June 2007, 09:50   #21
BHPian

I had the same issue with my M800( and it still sucks sometime). Basically
1) The alternator went bad. It was replaced( Lucos ) by Maruti
2) Even after that I found that car at times wont start in the first self , took that to the service station and there it started in the first self
3) Finally one day it gave up and refused to start
4) The issue was finally found in the fuel pump and it was replaced
5) The above happened like 2 months back. In the last week again on couple of days I found that the car started only in the 3rd/4th self. I got the battery and alternator checked from a local mechanic and everything seems to be fine

What could be the issue? I am reluctant to believe that fuel pump could still be the issue. Could it be the petrol filter or something?

-POGU
Old 18th June 2007, 10:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd View Post
Yesterday morning it again started giving start-up trouble and on little investigation it revealed that there was no petrol supply to the carburettor :(

Hope this is not a serious issue needing the fuel pump motor replacement or something !

~A
Did your mehcanic flush the fuel lines & clean the tank ? i think there is a lot of dirt in your tank. Regarding the fuel pump, do you hear the sound of the pump when you switch the ignition to on ? Normally, Esteem fuel pumps dont conk that easily.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Turn for my two bit. It's quite possible that the fuel tank itself is the culprit - you mentioned clogged filter. Do you fill the full tank during refuelling? If not, then the dry portion of the tank tends to gather rust over the years.
It is always a good habit to go for full tank filling. Fuel bills go up when you drive more and not when you fill the tank full. Many of us tend to add just ten litres of fuel and leave more than half the tank empty, allowing the dry portion to rust and eventually pin holes spring up there through which petrol evaporates.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Did your mehcanic flush the fuel lines & clean the tank ? i think there is a lot of dirt in your tank. Regarding the fuel pump, do you hear the sound of the pump when you switch the ignition to on ? Normally, Esteem fuel pumps dont conk that easily.
Basically Dad had taken the car to garage to get this done so I'm not quite sure whether they flushed the fuel lines or no...I most probably think they just replaced the fuel filter and that was it....

How can you actually make out when a fuel pump is working when you turn on the ignition ? Is there a sound from a particular area? Last time ( around 3-4 months back) also I had faced a similar issue and that time it was a loose contact in the fuel pump relay in the fuse box in hood which had caused it...so just checked all the connections myself and everything seems to be fine this time !

don't have the time to take the car to garage presently...

and Sudipto...very seldomly I do fill in tank ful...since my car runs only on weekends I generally maintain 1/4 to 1/2 tank level refilling 10 litres everytime.

~A
Old 18th June 2007, 14:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Dont think your fuel tank could develop any holes or rust that easily, but adulterated fuel could collect dirt in the tank which could have clogged your fuel lines & even your pump, of course i am not an expert, just thinking out loud.

When you turn the ignition switch, the pump works till the fuel reaches the carb or for a set period of time, if you can listen closely nearer to the tank, this is certainly audible.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogusingh View Post
I had the same issue with my M800( and it still sucks sometime). Basically
1) The alternator went bad. It was replaced( Lucos ) by Maruti
2) Even after that I found that car at times wont start in the first self , took that to the service station and there it started in the first self
3) Finally one day it gave up and refused to start
4) The issue was finally found in the fuel pump and it was replaced
5) The above happened like 2 months back. In the last week again on couple of days I found that the car started only in the 3rd/4th self. I got the battery and alternator checked from a local mechanic and everything seems to be fine

What could be the issue? I am reluctant to believe that fuel pump could still be the issue. Could it be the petrol filter or something?

-POGU
I think I will take my vehicle to workshop only ; otherwise it seem difficult to find fault with the fuel supply
@Adityapad, I shall advise you to visit some gagrage/workshop as this starting issue can leave you stranded somewhere
Old 18th June 2007, 17:30   #27
BHPian

since we are on the topic...thought of asking one more question....Is it advisable to keep the fuel tank filled up most ofthe times..even though I use the car only on weekends ?

I believe the fuel tank has an opening to let the air out...wouldn't the petrol evaporate thru this opening reducing the level in tank if the car is not used for long time ?

~A
Old 19th June 2007, 10:37   #28
BHPian

well...the latest update is that the car is running normally again.

The only thing that the local mechanic did was give a few spanks to the fuel tank from both the sides and that was enough to turn on the fuiel pump motor back to life ...the car started normally after doing this.

He diagnosed saying that the fuel pump motor is at the fag end of its life and needs to be replaced soon. A replacement would cost around 1800/- bucks...can some one pls verify if this is indeed the problem and also the price of a new fuel pump motor ?

~A
Old 19th June 2007, 18:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

dude get the tank cleaned (since your car has done many months and kms) and then fuel pump, check if its just a loose wire also i had an experience once.

and yes its definitely better to keep the tank full, and no breather mechanism wouldnt add to vaporization.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:29   #30
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone confirm to me the make and cost for the fuel pump motor for esteem ' 95 model ?

I have got quotes as following :

Miconi : 1550 /-
Denso : 2000/-
Taiwan make : 650 /-

which one should I go in for considering that I plan to sell off the car soon ( 1- 2 months)?

~A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks