Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2022, 12:42   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Turbo failure on a 1-year old Hyundai Creta 1.4L Turbo DCT. EDIT: Warranty extension & parts offered

Day 4
Dealership requests help from Chennai
Day 5
Team arrives and inspects, makes their assessment and recommends 3 parts to be replaced
Day X
Sorry, not 3, just one part needs to be replaced, it's not 2 lacs, it's 75k.

1. Turnaround of just 1 day for a team of engineers to arrive and leave.?
2. Is there any proof that Hyundai team came , did they speak with the owner atleast on phone, forget document evidence
3. 2 lacs becomes 75k.

Something is fishy here.
venkyhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 02:36   #17
BHPian

re: Turbo failure on a 1-year old Hyundai Creta 1.4L Turbo DCT. EDIT: Warranty extension & parts offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Was this car used under a lot of engine Start Stop conditions? By the owner as well as the Auto Start Stop function. While there is no evidence of either causing an issue with the Turbo, the latter kicking in frequently is where it go wrong for the Turbo.

Modern Day Turbo petrol motors can last provided you look after them. However; the common man knows nothing about the effects of automatic fuel saving features.
Isn’t this something that should be taken care by the manufacturer while designing/testing the car? Hyundai should be aware that their cars will often be driven in stop-go conditions and how it might turn out for turbocharged engines - be it auto start-stop or manual.

Or do they perform “lakhs of kms” of testing in highways and mountain passes only?
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 07:33   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Requesting experts and those with more knowledge on this aspect on the forum, to kindly share your views on what should she should expect here and what needs to get done additionally to be assured of no future issues coming up due to this incident? She currently has the extended warranty upto 5 years, but shouldn't this problem warrant a further extension by an additional year atleast?
A short update - Hyundai has agreed to extend her 5 year warranty for an additional 2 more years as goodwill against this failure. Not aware of the exact terms & conditions of the extension (but my understanding is it probably is a full extension of the car's extended warranty).
ninjatalli is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 11:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
Isn’t this something that should be taken care by the manufacturer while designing/testing the car?
True.

I am not saying Start Stop was THE reason for Turbo failure. That is one that comes to mind immediately. Turbo charged engines do not like going on and off. The moment the engine stops, oil stops flowing through the bearings. Repeated cycles of this tend to cause Turbo failure in the long term. In this instance, the failure is too early so there could be other things that could have gone wrong. Could be component failure too. It happens. As long as the manufacturer honors warranty, you're all good.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:04   #20

Re: Turbo failure on a 1-year old Hyundai Creta 1.4L Turbo DCT. EDIT: Warranty extension & parts off

Sadly Turbo petrol GDI's have poor reliability records with any manufacturer.
Even the famed Honda had this issue with oil dilution with their Turbo engines on the Civic and CRV in North America.
VW has terrible reliability record with the TSI engines, no offence to any VW fan but if you have a look at any teardown video of a TSI engine you realize why !

There's a fundamental issue with GDI engines, since the fuel is directly injected into the cylinders there's no lubrication or cleaning effect on the intake valves compared to a port injected engine. Add a turbo and EGR to the equation , you have higher air volume and possibly oil residue being thrown at the intake. Intake valve deposit and premature valve seat wear is very very common in GDI engines .
Sadly port injected non turbo engines are a vanishing breed, the only worthwhile one in India is the 1.5 ivtec from Honda.
sasmit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 21:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: Turbo failure on a 1-year old Hyundai Creta 1.4L Turbo DCT. EDIT: Warranty extension & parts off

Sorry to hear about the ordeal. Modern Hyundai cars are built to last the warranty period and this isn't the quality of the Santro, i10 and i20 that established the brand. The new BS6 engines seem to have more complaints than previous generations, even though still early in the lifecycle.

As I type this - My Hyundai is sitting in the service centre since 53 days! It earlier had another break down that resulted in 47 days of the car being off the road, including 10 days at the service center.

That's a combined 100 days off the road in 30k kms of ownership!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd May 2022 at 21:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 07:39   #22
BHPian

Now I scared after reading this thread. My 1.6 crdi Elantra has a boost leak and as soon as the turbo kicks in at 1750 rpm we can hear a lot of air swooshing sounds and post 2000rpm a whistling sound. We have identified the leaking pipe and ordered for it but since it’s been taking over 2 weeks to come I’ve been driving it normally everywhere just keeping the rpm below 2000 thinking that the turbo won’t be strained.
Hope this doesn’t turn out to cause a failure of my turbocharger!
TechSavvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:18   #23

Very sad to see such failure at such low mileage. First of all, none of this is your fault. And you should consider yourself lucky it's a petrol engine, in a diesel this failure could lead to a runaway, destroying the engine completely. The dealership's statement "this is a rare occurrence" seems believable in this case. The turbocharger replacement is a must, intercooler and cat-con can be cleaned, but why settle with cleaning in an almost new car. So you insist with the dealer for replacement. Company giving you extended warranty is a really good gesture from company as you can use your car worry free for atleast 7 years and after that if you find it reliable enough, you can keep the car or if it's giving you tantrums you can replace it.
So press for all parts replacement, if they don't replace just get them cleaned again at 20K service for peace of mind.
Also get the valves and cylinders checked as they burnt a lot of oil from turbo. God only knows what condition they'll be in.
Old 24th May 2022, 08:06   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasmit View Post
Sadly Turbo petrol GDI's have poor reliability records with any manufacturer.
One forgotten engine is the Fiat T-jet. Came in the linea and abarth punto. It's an old-school cast iron, port injected, fixed valve timing, fixed valve opening, simple (compared to modern ones) engine, with 4 valves/cylinder and DOHC. Very very reliable turbo petrol.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 10:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
One forgotten engine is the Fiat T-jet. Came in the linea and abarth punto. It's an old-school cast iron, port injected, fixed valve timing, fixed valve opening, simple (compared to modern ones) engine, with 4 valves/cylinder and DOHC. Very very reliable turbo petrol.
Turbo petrols are still ok, but GDI added to the mix unfortunately compounds the issues.
Toyota I think has twin injection systems with both port and direct injection systems . Low speed part load is managed using stratified direct injection, midrange and top end using the port injection. This ensures clean valves and very low deposits. Problem however is it’s very expensive and wouldn’t work in a cost sensitive platform/market.
sasmit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 00:56   #26

I think it’s the job of auto journalists to also talk about the reliability of these engines and explain what tradeoffs the average customer is making. That is not happening and the Koreans reap the benefit of an uninformed consumer. Again features and gimmicks triumph over mechanicals ☹️. Faulty turbo but the air freshener must work great. Not sure what corners they cut on EVs, that’s even more scary.
Old 8th June 2022, 19:00   #27

I got my new Creta Turbo DCT SX(O) in April 2022 and as a new owner these DCT related news are worrisome.

Is there any best practices etc that one should keep in mind while driving the DCT? For now one thing that I do regularly is to shift the gear to N and put the car on Auto Hold whenever there is a long wait in the traffic signals. (Now that I'm typing this I wonder if I'm doing this D to N and then N to D way too frequently.. oops is that a wrong practice?)

A quick context - Since April 2022 and 2100 KMs already on the Odo, everything is actually good with my new Creta DCT till now. From a VW Ameo to a Hyundai was not an easy decision. I test drove the Kushaq, Taigun, Creta and Alcazar before taking a decision.

I personally felt Creta trumped as a "package" - comfort, space, cost of ownership (still debatable), re-sale value and at the time of test drive etc. felt the build quality to be significantly better than other Hyundai models (the crash test results came after I booked the vehicle) when compared to the VW/Skodas.

The new Creta has lifted up the driving comfort by several notches and the 1.4 GDI is actually a fun to drive car; I'm not significantly missing the fun-to-drive from my previous 1.5TDI engine.

I have read about the DCT issues previously also and was mentally prepared. But now that I've actually purchased the car, any inputs on the best practices etc will be really helpful.

(psst.. I'm a newbie to Team-BHP forum and this is my first post)
turbo_gdi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks