Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 02:30   #1

Knocking & power loss in my pre-worshipped W203 Mercedes C200K

Hi Fellow-BHPians, I am new to the forum as a member however have been a long time follower of Team-BHP.

I did try to search for the issue that I am facing related to my car but was not able to find any information within the already present threads.

I own a 2007 W203 C200 Kompressor 6 Speed Manual (Facelift version & the last batch of W203 in India)

I bought the car back in March 2022 and got the car completely serviced recently which included complete engine oil drain, intercooler drain, brake fluid drain, new oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, mechanical arms & bushes, brake discs and pads. The car when it runs, runs like a charm but occasionally knocks at idle. When this happens, irrespective of whether AC is on or not the RPM fluctuates from about 950-1000RPM (Ideal idling RPM) to about 600 or 700 RPM. When this happens, I can revv up the motor to stop the car from shaking/vibrating but if I don't do so the motor will eventually completely stall in neutral or will self recover. When this happens I also experience immense power loss and the car feels like the supercharger is not running.

I got the V-Belt checked and its as good as new. Cant find any issues with the belt tensioner either. No error related to the SuperCharger Flap come up when scanned. I am also aware of timing chain issues with the m271 engine but the car has only run around 52,500KMS in 15 years of its life.

Since not many of these cars were sold in India (even if they were, I barely see any on the streets of Kolkata) I cannot find any one to guide me on what the issue is here. My mechanic who does work on German cars and has decent experience in the field is clueless as well.

We have checked the vacuum pipes. Found one damaged by a Rat. That was fixed but the intermittent knocking & powerloss remains.

Could it be the fuel pump? I am running out of ideas here.

Would really appreciate some assistance in regards to this.

PS: This is my first ever thread on the forum so my apologies to the moderators in advance for making any unintentional mistakes in this post.
joygoku08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Knocking & power loss in my pre-worshipped W203 Mercedes C200K

Check for water in fuel - I am presuming you use E10 petrol. Drain the fuel lines and tank, and refill with fresh fuel.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 18:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

Also do get the plug wires, coils and even the new spark plugs checked once. Knocking can be a timing or spark related issue also.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 19:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

This is not engine knock. This is a problem with just idle running. These cars, for some reason are susceptible to poor idling and it can be a real bear to trouble shoot.

Check the dedicated Mercedes forums for some ideas.

Yours appears to be intermittent, which makes it more difficult to find. Usually it is related to either a vacuum leak somewhere in the air intake or a wonky electrical connection.

Here is what I would do: when the poor idling occurs, open the hood. With the engine running start to tuck gently at all the parts in the air intake circuits. See if anything moves, listen whether the RPMs change. When the RPMs change you are tugging/pulling on something that is either leaking or not connected properly, or corroded.

Ideally, spray starting gas on all connections and joints in the air intake. If the RPMs goes up, you have found your problem.

Not quite sure, but if this engine has an idle air valve, or auxiliary air valve or whatever Mercedes might be calling it, I would be suspecting that too. When it idles poorly, just pull the plug on it. If the engine runs fine, you have identified the problem.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 04:57   #5

So I got the car scanned and turns out that there is misfire in cylinder 1 and 4. I opened up the engine cover and noticed that the ignition coil on cylinder 1 is snug fit using some kind of butter paper. (Hate how the first owner kind of people treat these German beauties)

There is also an error related to the Grounding on the O2 sensor. I am getting my car worked upon on Monday and will get the fuel lines checked too. Ignition wiring also will be checked.

I read on certain Mercedes forums that a coolant leak can block the O2 sensor and the coolant pipe did have a leak when I initially bought the car. There are also reports of a leak in the Pressure Control Valve located below the AirFilter.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice
joygoku08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 23:42   #6

So a quick update.

Got the car scanned using a Professional Launch Scanner and did alot of research across youtube and Mercedes forums. Turns out it is the 2 camshaft magnets in the front of the engine. They basically connect to the camshaft position sensor and are a known problem on the m271.

These needs to be replaced every 50k-60k Kms as per my research. My car has done just upwards of 52k Kms plus on close inspection of the magnets, they do look faulty and are definitely slowly but surely leaking oil. This leak in the longer run damages the harness and also the ECU if left untreated.

I got an unbelievable deal on the entire Cam Magnet Kit made by Vaico. I also ordered a replacement Coolant tube as the one on my car leaks (another known m271 issue)
Both these items cost me about US$157 inclusive shipping.

I have attached a few images to this post for your reference.

The lead time on the order is 15 business days for it to ship. Ordered from cars245.com and these will ship from Latvia,

Will keep you guys posted on further developments once the parts have arrived, which a week after ordering feels like forever :(
Attached Thumbnails
Knocking & power loss in my pre-worshipped W203 Mercedes C200K-img20220602wa0006.jpg  

Knocking & power loss in my pre-worshipped W203 Mercedes C200K-img20220602wa0007.jpeg  

Knocking & power loss in my pre-worshipped W203 Mercedes C200K-img20220603wa0000.jpeg  

joygoku08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 20:39   #7

Second last update to this thread. I got the problem fixed FINALLY!!!!

As explained on my last post, it was the two Magnetic Camshaft Position Sensors in the front. The rubber O ring and the grommet had hardened and was leaking oil.

Replacing the Camshaft Position Sensors and clearing the faults fixed the power loss and knocking issues. I drove the car for about 15km after the repair and things seem good today.

I will update this thread for the last time after spending this weekend driving the w203 to give my final verdict along with pictures.

Thanks again to all the members of this forum
joygoku08 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks