Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 13:31   #16
BHPian

re: Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol

Check the air filter in your car, if you drive in dusty conditions, it will clog sooner than expected. Try cleaning air filter for now and then see the difference.
SS80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 14:20   #17
BHPian

I think you are already getting good fuel efficiency. ARAI figures can never be achieved by driving in everyday conditions.

For information I used to get 11 to 12 KMPL in my 3rd generation city, never got anything more than 12 KMPL in my wife’s Alto 800 and now I am getting 12 KMPL in my XUV700 Diesel AT.

For me Alto was the biggest surprise to date as even to my driving style (very sedate) I haven’t got any better. So don’t worry too much on the average you get.
zeus_700 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 14:34   #18
BHPian

The mileage you get is pretty normal.
  1. It's a weak engine. 86 hp @ 6000 rpm, and 113 Nm @ 5500 rpm.
  2. Altroz is a heavy car at around 1035 kg.
  3. The weak engine has to work hard to make the car get going.
  4. Hence it's inefficient
Consider this totally unscientific thought experiment (correct me if this is a bad analogy): imagine that a single cylinder 100 cc bike engine is somehow connected to a big BharatBenz truck. Regardless of how much you rev it in gear (thereby burning fuel), you are barely going to move an inch if at all. How much do you think the km/l would be in that case?

It was a similar story in my old 1st gen Figo 1.2 petrol. Weak engine that has to work hard implies low economy.
voldemort is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 18:15   #19
BHPian

FE looks fine IMO.

Your observation of engine speed not matching with vehicle speed, prompts for a clutch check.
swapnil.awate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 21:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
I must say I've been through the same dilemma few weeks back- whether my car has anything amiss-have logged similar concerns on Altroz iturbo thread few days back.
1. Unlike Diesel engines, petrol (NA/turbo) are going to show big variance in FE in city/Highway traffic.
2. Engines need to warm up before they work efficiently- if most of your trips are <8kms each, you can't expect a great efficiency.
3. Does your car offer autoAC? Do you use it often? It tends to cool the entire cabin to the set temperature, which is quite a drag in terms of performance/fuel efficiency. Try setting desired AC fan speed for short runs/when you're driving alone.
Thanks for your help. My trips are usually around >20km. I do use the auto AC often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
Further, I suggest:
1. Check with a fellow Baleno owner with a similar driving pattern- you know the realistic figures to compare with (don't get disheartened further)
2. Do a long highway run: 100-odd kms and then check the FE. My iturbo gives 18-20kmpl on highways (fuelio figures).

The thread quoted above has enough ammunition for safe hypermiling: enjoy!
on the baleno reference. I am currently out on a ~300km round trip. Will log the FE and report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
~ 12 kmpl is good for a vehicle that weights ~ 1000 kgs and that engine. The turbo variant will see single digit when traffic is heavy. Not everything will treat petrol like a Maruti would , but you win some, you lose some.

Enjoy the car and please remember , the more you drive the better it gets - car as well as you. 2600 kms in 10 months , I don't think you should worry about fuel cost at all.
Ha ha, 2600kms in 10 months is a joke. I'd hopefully do better the next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That engine is overworked in this car. Puny engines that are stressed never result in class-leading FE. That said, I think your numbers are decent for the weight of the car.
Thanks, GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
11kmpl from a 1.2L engine in Kolkata traffic is decent enough. I get that much from the Honda 1.2L iVtec in Bangalore. May I know what was your expectation? Did you believe the sales guy’s pitch who would have told 15kmpl+ while selling the car?

Petrol 1.2L engines from any brand realistically returns anything between 9-12kmpl in city depending on traffic conditions. Maruti might be a little better for obvious reasons. But rest are around that ballpark figure.
Well, I used to believe the MID figure on altroz to be fairly accurate - it was when I tallied some time ago - so in my mind, the FE figure always hovered around 15kmpl - at least on highway runs. Never really paid attention to the fuelio logs. Thus, the surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
To give you a reality check about small petrol engines.

Our wagonR (2016) gives around 11-12kmpl in city with A/C and sedate driving, 14-15 without A/C, 17 kmpl on highways/empty city roads with minimal A/C.
Suggest to recheck your FE on highways.
The variance between your tankful and the MID isn't acceptable. I usually drive to at least half a tank before refilling to minimize errors while tanking up.

The mismatch between rpm and speed is usually the clutch but your car is too new to have that. But do try the same with A/C off and lesser loads to see how it behaves.
Thanks shancz. My tests were with two people on board and AC on. The MID - real life mismatch is indeed surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron82x3 View Post
This is the Mileage of my 2017 Grand i10 Asta Petrol 1.2
You should expect similar mileage in your car. I have also driven the car mostly in Kolkata.
You need not worry, even the power drop is due to the increase in rolling resistance of the tires which is more in a wet road.
I'd recommend to check your tire pressure once a week.
No need to worry about mileage, it's more than acceptable.
Awesome of you to share your detailed FE logs. I however, still think the power drop is unusual - I can feel something's off. Earlier, I had a bad jump at 70KPH on a stretch of NH that had a missing chunk of tarmac and a considerable drop. The MID figures have dropped since that - similarly, the power issue has cropped up. So it could be that. At the very least, the rear right tyre has developed a slow leak - possibly from the wheel rim. I plan to get the wheels and the underbody checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er am I missing something here? where is the abysmal mileage mentioned?

I drive a linea t jet so these numbers are like wow to me
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS80 View Post
Check the air filter in your car, if you drive in dusty conditions, it will clog sooner than expected. Try cleaning air filter for now and then see the difference.
Thanks. The service center did clean the filter with compressed air. Not much perceptible difference tbh.

I am currently out on a trip and the MID shows ~15kmpl after 150km - this is with 30kph average speed. Will check the FE after fill up and report back. Separately, having driven ~150km today, I think it's not that the rpm - speed doesn't match, but that it takes longer than earlier to rev up - as if there's some resistance. I'll get this checked.

Thanks to all of you.
dijkstra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 22:30   #21
BHPian

Dude,

I wouldn't reiterate what others have already said that your mileage is it is what it is, but I'm replying to honestly cite my beater car's (2017 AltoK10) mileage which hovers around 11-13 KMPL with 100% AC. This car is strictly used for ferrying around nooks and corners of Hyderabad and never on Highways. The average distance traveled on each trip would be less than 5 KM but would take 20-30 min. So no chance for me to see the claimed mileage of 20+ KMPL.
G V Krishna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2022, 23:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
- My tests were with two people on board and AC on.
- it takes longer than earlier to rev up - as if there's some resistance.
- Normal loads then, the AC might cause a dip but IMO you should get slightly better FE than you get as in my experience larger engines fare better in city with A/C than the smaller engines.

- I have a feeling that something is dragging your car down apart from the weight since you can feel the change in behaviour.

Since you mentioned that incident at 70kmph I would suggest start from the basics.

1. Check the suspension and wheel wells to rule out any suspension sagging/damage which may cause the wheels to brush against the wells.
2. All wheels are rotating as expected, no brushing of brake pads/shoes.
3. The handbrake isn't jamming.
4. The clutch is adjusted properly and not dragging/partially engaged, that could explain the lower FE and acceleration.

Last edited by shancz : 28th May 2022 at 23:19. Reason: Typos
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 02:33   #23
BHPian

Re: Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol

I had an Indica Vista TDI diesel following are my observations based on tankfull method:-
City traffic:- 13.5 kmpl
Same road during lockdown without ac :- 18.5 kmpl
On highway below 100 kmph with ac :- 15.5 to 16.5 kmpl
Above 100 kmph but below 110 kmph:- 15.5 kmpl
Sometime touching 120 kmph with ac:- 14.5 kmpl

Fuel efficiency is heavily dependent on type of roads, ac and how we drive.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 30th May 2022 at 02:34. Reason: Mods the post has been posted twice due to some refresh issue
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 10:09   #24

Hi everyone. I'm new here and so is my Altroz XT 1.2 Petrol which I took delivery yesterday. I'm not sure if this thread is the right place for my question but this is what I could find as the closest relevant thread.

So when I took delivery, the salesperson advised me to never fill the entire fuel tank, and preferably fill not more than 25 of the 37 ltrs capacity. I asked why, to which they gave a pretty unconvincing reply that "filling it completely will make it generate gas and catch air" or something like that. Another senior salesperson there also advised me the same pretty confidently. I personally don't believe in this concept, and would like to hear from more experienced people here.

So is there any logic in what I was advised...? Should I really be following that advice...? What do u guys recommend...?
Old 8th June 2022, 11:32   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitmutalik View Post

So is there any logic in what I was advised...? Should I really be following that advice...? What do u guys recommend...?
No logic whatsoever in what they told you.

I fill all my cars to full tank, every week. I fill it up to auto-cut off mark and not till the brim. Topping it off till the brim is not recommended as fuel expands in hot conditions.

As for as filling it to full level(to auto cut-off) posed no problems whatsoever, in all my years of experience.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:42   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
No logic whatsoever in what they told you.

I fill all my cars to full tank, every week. I fill it up to auto-cut off mark and not till the brim. Topping it off till the brim is not recommended as fuel expands in hot conditions.

As for as filling it to full level(to auto cut-off) posed no problems whatsoever, in all my years of experience.
Perfect. Thank you so much for clearing that out for me.

P.S. this was my first post on Team-BHP. Feels good to have entered the community.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th June 2022 at 15:12. Reason: Typo; non-forum characters deleted
punitmutalik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitmutalik View Post

So when I took delivery, the salesperson advised me to never fill the entire fuel tank, and preferably fill not more than 25 of the 37 ltrs capacity.

Look it may have been said is a different context, like hot summers full tank and no place for vapours to escape, but manufacturers think about all these things be rest assured.

The problem is people fill their tanks beyond auto cut off and thats something which is not recommended.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Look it may have been said is a different context, like hot summers full tank and no place for vapours to escape, but manufacturers think about all these things be rest assured.

The problem is people fill their tanks beyond auto cut off and thats something which is not recommended.
Now that makes sense. I would have ordinarily filled beyond autocut too. But now I'm wiser. Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2022, 05:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It's is a ~2600km driven petrol na altroz in it's 10th month of possession - having been through two scheduled services. My driving routes are 60% highway, 30% city roads, and the rest are interior roads where you can rarely go above 10kmph avg.
First of all sorry for late suggestion. I too have Altroz 1.2 NA Petrol (XZ O ) Using it since Sep 2020. Initially had trouble in fuel economy since having a diesel Honda Mobilio and was used to that. Then during one service center visit one SA showed me how to use real time fuel economy bar for good use. Since then I adopted and changed my driving style of Altroz specific way and started to see changes. Now in city Bumper to Bumper traffic I am getting in-between 14 to 15 KMPL and when driving through rural roads / single lane highway (NH49) getting 18 KMPL with automatic climate control set to 26° C at all time (couldn't take a picture of the fuel economy figure in highway rub due to lone driving and slippery road condition ). I use to keep that bar halfway up all time and will avoid bottoming out accelerator as much as I can and downshift before executing an overtaking maneuver.
I would advise you to use real time FE bar in Altroz to good use. Then maintain company specified tire pressure and try to stick to a specific petrol brand. I am using HP normal petrol from day one. Hopefully this will help you. Keep Revvin.

Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol-864fe1fd00244d32943e9c0fd3c62452-1.jpg

Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol-img9279.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2022 at 06:34.
Old 24th October 2022, 15:12   #30
BHPian

I have a 2016 1.2L NA Tiago Petrol XZ(O) which has the same engine (although Tata has supposedly improved upon it after selling nearly 2L vehicles with it and received feedback for 6.5+ years) and what I've realised in driving this mill for about 54.5K Kilometers is the more aggressive you are with it while revving - the lesser it'll reward you in fuel economy. Remember, it's an unrefined, agricultural 3-pot mill which is still relatively peppy during the initial pick-up but also super sensitive to throttle inputs. Have also driven a 2015 i20 extensively and that engine is anemic but super smooth; so there is a trade-off when dealing with Tata engines IMHO. What I've ensured to get a decent, read 14kmpl in city traffic which for me is Gurgaon is the following -

a. Upshift between 2000-2500 rpm - a cardinal mistake is to up-shift beyond 3000 rpm, although in any case it'll be futile to rev upwards as it'll only create noise without much forward movement!

b. Be gentle with throttle inputs; I've got a heavy right foot and it's always a given for me that when I'm driving aggressively, there is a serious dip in instantaneous fuel economy; also do remember that MID FE numbers are overtly optimistic as real world figures would be at-least 2-3 kmpl less - this is from my experience using tank fill <-> tank fill method.

Here are some pictures I took day before yesterday when driving down from Gurgaon to Lucknow during peak hour rush. I was getting seriously impressive numbers till the time I hit chock-a-block traffic before entering Lucknow, just after I left the Taj Expressway. My driving style was sedate - read, maintained 100 kmph (as shown on speedometer but on Google maps it was 94-95 kmph) and rarely did I cross above 120 kmph. Did the entire journey in roughly about 8 hours which doesn't include the nearly 30 minute jam at the entrance of Taj Expressway just after the exit of Yamuna Expressway and Agra ring road and another 15 minutes when crossing Awadh crossing on Kanpur road.

Therefore if you're getting 11-13 kmpl in city traffic, rest assured, it's absolutely fine. Enjoy the car, the drive and the memories you make while at it!
Attached Thumbnails
Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol-20221023_215128.jpg  

Abysmal mileage on a Tata Altroz 1.2L NA Petrol-20221022_173200.jpg  

djay434 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks