Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 21:59   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Of hot summers, overheating modern cars and no indication

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
This is a little off-topic but I've seen a different reading on the gauge vs the menu that can be accessed by long pressing the odometer stock while simultaneously turning the key (2006 Ford Fiesta). You can find a post on Team-BHP about the same here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3930507 (My 2015 Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium) You can see the needle sitting at 90°C whereas the display shows 102°C (this is with coolant present in the reservoir). Perhaps this is peculiar to this model?
This is indeed strange, so much delta ? As per my understanding, the same sensor data is filtered and sent by the body computer, to the instrument cluster computer, as a 'message' to be displayed on the LCD screen as well as to be converted as a voltage and applied to the temp guage. Or so I believe. Now, I don't know whether there are two temp sensors in that particular model/engine.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 06:38   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post

Critical point: When filling in water into the radiator of an overheated engine, always do so with the engine running.
Any particular reason? Or is it to have the coolant circulate through the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The temp sensor needs to be immersed in coolant for it to read the temperature and transmit it to the dash. It's a fallacy to assume the dash warning light or temp gauge will function or provide a warning beep without coolant being present in the system.
Shouldn’t there be a foolproof way to indicate that the coolant is getting depleted? It was sheer luck in both cases that the engine did not seize.
Old 1st June 2022, 10:09   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpagedar View Post
Any particular reason? Or is it to have the coolant circulate through the system?
Pouring cold water into a hot engine can cause it to crack. ALWAYS leave the engine on when topping off an empty radiator

Quote:
Shouldn’t there be a foolproof way to indicate that the coolant is getting depleted? It was sheer luck in both cases that the engine did not seize.
There can be a method to alert the driver but it will cost you and the car companies extra $. Besides a visual inspection is the best IMO. Remember sensors can fail or malfunction. I don't trust sensors too much. Electronics is my hobby interest but that also makes me a sceptic when it comes to their reliability. So, always visually check your coolant, engine oil (using the dipstick) and brake fluid at regular intervals. It's easy! Trust me, you don't want be caught with a failed cooling system, a seized engine or, God forbid, failed brakes. On an aside, have the brake fluid changed every 2-4 years even if the car has not run much. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the system requires a flush with fresh fluid every few years especially in areas with high humidity.

PS - Forgot to add, leaving the engine on (and the coolant/water pump running) also gets rid of air pockets trapped in the block.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st June 2022 at 10:14. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 13:30   #34
BHPian

Hello Friends,
I have a rather peculiar problem with my diesel ertiga in the delhi heat this summer. On more than 3 occasions, during peak afternoon heat , my car suddenly gives a small judder every 5 seconds or so but the engine does not die down. The other thing at that very moment is loss of cold air from AC vents which is very perceptible. But the temperature gauge is always in the middle position only and coolant levels are also ok.

I think the AC compressor trips and restarts which gives a minor jerk and is felt. All these were felt say about 20 mins after starting the journey, but did not occur while retuning probably because the returns were in the evening only. At that time there is no jerk on idling , and AC is working fine.

If any of you knowledgeable folks could help me and point the direction in which I should get this problem diagnosed. I had the AC serviced about 2 months back during the start of summer, but this problem has occured now.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 27th June 2022, 23:45   #35
BHPian

I do not have much technical know how. However i would like to say that i have experienced coolant leak in my s cross 1.6 and i can confidently say that the gauge moved even without any coolant inside. At that time I was not a member here and Dr. Naren had posted the pics here. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4400103 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)
As I was driving, the AC cut off and later i noticed that that temp was high. I stopped, opened the bonnet to find that the coolant had leaked. It was sent on a flatbed to MASS. Next day morning i went there and when i asked about the warranty claim, the SA told me that “sir you must have driven that car for long without coolant and you might not get it” i told him that he’s wrong and that i always glances at the instruments while driving. Then he said that “ Sir, the temp gauge will not show anything if the coolant is empty!” But i was sure that i had seen the gauge high. So i asked him if there is any coolant or water in the car now to which he replied no. Then i told him to start the car and see if the gauge rises. After 10 mins of slight revving the engine, it started to rise beyond the normal to which made the SA stop accusing me and did everything under warranty!
So basically, in my car even without any liquid inside the radiator, the sensor worked!

Last edited by robby0707 : 27th June 2022 at 23:51.
robby0707 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks