Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 08:58   #1
BHPian

Maintaining rarely used cars

Hi,

I bought an 800 last week and after the first week of practicing driving for about an hour a day, I dont think I would be using the car that regularly from now on, except for the on off occasions or rainy days.

I wanted to know how I can keep the car maintained in a good condition? I heard that the battery would drain out if I dont use it regularly. Also I dont want the moving parts getting clogged with dirt and grime as our area is very dusty and the car would get covered in a coat of mud within 2 days.

I heard that I have to start the car about once every 2 days. Is this enough? Should I just start and leave it idling for a few minutes or should I free rev it for a while or should I drive it around for a few minutes? How do I keep the car and the battery in good condition if I dont use it regularly. I dont want the car giving problems by not cranking up when I take it out the day I really need it.

Thanks and Regards,
kuku
Old 19th June 2007, 09:19   #2
BHPian

I feel that starting once a week and idling for 5 mts is good enough for a new car. You can also remove the battery terminals if not used for a long time. Also invest on a Genuine Maruti car cover because they fit the car perfectly well and avoid all the dust getting in.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Every weekend use your car for your weekly shopping/ outing, that should be good enough.

Or just drive around for 5-10 min
Old 19th June 2007, 11:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

As dadu rightly said, a round trip of 10 kms per week shall keep your baby purring nicely.. if your car has an ac then switch it on as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Every weekend use your car for your weekly shopping/ outing, that should be good enough.

Old 19th June 2007, 11:29   #5
BHPian

also keep your tyre pressure 2 to 3 psi above the normal prescribed to avoid flat spots since you will be using once a week.
Old 19th June 2007, 11:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Maruti vehicles dont create much trouble.

Even my old M800 was rarely used during its first two years (during weekends only). gave no problems at all.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Addition, get a Battery Cut Off Switch put somewhere in the Glove box of the car. When turned to off it disconnects the battery power so it'l save you the trouble of removing and fixing the terminals manually. It is also called the "Chor Switch" but is not to be confused with the fuel cut of switch. In the rainy season especially, you must run the car once in a week to ten days, to avoid the brakes etc getting sticky and to keep all the moving parts other than the engine, lubricated and working well.
Old 5th July 2007, 21:58   #8
BHPian

M800 will not create much problem if it is not usd for a long time. There is no way for residual current discharge. ie. even when the car is switched off there are no electrical system that will draw current. That is the reason none of the marutis had no problem. Example for residual current is ...........engine immobilizer , clock , memory of your audio system etc. Removing the negative battery terminal will be the best option. Tyre tend to become hard when left un used. Over inflating will avoid flat spots but if still unused it tends to become hard and affects the drive comfort(harsh and bumpy ride).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks