Team-BHP - Pinking noise...
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Pinking noise... (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/25316-pinking-noise.html)

Dear members,

I have been facing an issue with my esteem for a month or two now.

There is a pinking noise that I have observed in my car at engine speeds greater than 2.5k - 3k RPM.

I had consulted Electra in this regard and they diagnosed the problem could be due to :

1. Improper timing - which was rectified promptly.

2. Bad fuel - Promptly filled in 2 tankful's from Shell.

I have regularly used Iftex System G whenever i fill petrol from non Shell bunks.

The pinking noise was still present after the above 2 mentioned points were addressed.

I therefore went to Kapico (Near MMDA, Chennai) as i knew the works manager well enough.

The service technician took a test drive and confirmed the pinking noise was still present.

He checked the timing and fuel quality and they were good.

I was advised to leave the car overnight as they had to check the Tappet adjustments and this had to be done only on a COLD engine.

So i promptly left the car over on Friday morning.

The tappets were adjusted but the pinking noise is still present.

The car is not very smooth like earlier in low RPM's especially when moving from standstill to around 2k RPM. After 2000 RPM the power kicks in and the car accelerates suddenly.

Till then it feels like the wheels are jammed or the vehicle is pulling a very heavy load.

Please help me. What should i do to get the pinking noise eliminated? What are the causes for the noise to occur? what other things need to be investigated?

I also got the a/c coil removed and cleaned, and a/c gas filled. Parking brake play was adjusted.

I am going back in a day or 2 to get the issue resolved. Hoping for some advice to pour in by then.

Thanks in anticipation guys.

P.S. Mod's i hope this is in the right section. If not please do the needful. Thnx.

Is the engine overheating?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclaren1885 (Post 472672)
Is the engine overheating?

Nope. the needle is slightly over the halfway mark but way under the red zone.

is this a carb version??

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast4u (Post 472733)
is this a carb version??

Nope. My esteem is the MPFI model.

check the spark plugs, they may be running "Too hot"

First of all, it is PINGING and not PINKING. Sounds like marbles in the engine.

It could be caused to - BAD TIMING. Ruled out here because you checked and found it to be right.

Next could be lean mixture. Since your car is MPFI, this may mean that one of the sensors - I am not able to say which(maybe the O2 sensor?) has failed, giving improper reading to the ECU which does not give proper air/fuel ratio as timing advances, leading to pinging. Just theorising of course, but worth a check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 472799)
check the spark plugs, they may be running "Too hot"

Ok... How does this translate in english? :) i would need to explain this to the service advisor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuttapan (Post 472812)
First of all, it is PINGING and not PINKING. Sounds like marbles in the engine.

I guessed as much. But all the mechanic's corrected my saying it's pinking and not pinging. lol:

Hey psycho where art thou? need your inputs dude.

If its the knocking sound tell them to change sparkplugs and then see. If it goes away, well then problem solved.
Spark plugs can cause this, though its one of the less common causes.
Since you have looked at other variables like timing and fuel, this leaves the less common causes.

is this a new occurence or started after a particular work?

[quote=n_aditya;473247]Ok... How does this translate in english? :) QUOTE]

Spark plugs have heat ranges. Try running a colder plug. Call J.D. he will help. Also ask Krupesh to hook up the wideband and check the fuel mixture and ask him to personally have a look.

Also your temp needle should be below the half way mark not above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 473254)
If its the knocking sound tell them to change sparkplugs and then see.

There is absolutely no knocking. the timing is correct. Its only a pinging noise.

Now is this a bad sign or should i live with it? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 473259)
is this a new occurence or started after a particular work?

When i first went to Electra, the tappet noise was pointed out to me. About 2 months back i got the a/c belt changed as it was worn out and also used to make a screeching noise on cold starts. After the belt was changed the pinging noise has started. But i did get the timing checked and corrected at Electra. Kapico Maruti confirmed that the timing is correct.

What should i do? i want this thing rectified asap as its my daily drive and i'm also paranoid of leaving the car over at the service station.

pinging noise = knocking = something wrong with combustion = ignition process = can be timing, to a minor extend tappet, bad fuel, wrong plugs etc etc

Ok, did you change the timing belt also when you replaced the ac belt?

just double check the "timing belt" if all the marks on the wheels are properly aligned.

you will have to take the timing belt cover to check the markings. Then set timing and tappets, esteems generally do have slight tappet sounds and its not advisable to over tight them to make them silent.

if you are in bangalore get in touch with psycho for workshop info.

Looks like the AC is the culprit here, would suggest that you please check the pressure of the gas in the AC if it is higher than normal (which your ac guy should be able to tell you) it would load the engine that wee bit more which causes the pinging.

I would reccomend to get your valves reset again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho (Post 473313)
Looks like the AC is the culprit here, would suggest that you please check the pressure of the gas in the AC if it is higher than normal (which your ac guy should be able to tell you) it would load the engine that wee bit more which causes the pinging.

I would reccomend to get your valves reset again.

Aaahhh at last. A sigh of relief to see your post keshav. Thanks for pitching in.

The a/c gas was low... down to 20% and cooling also was pathetic. Still the pinging noise was apparent.

Got the a/c coil removed, cleaned, and refitted along with gas filled in. Cooling is fine but car is not smooth in the low rev's as mentioned. and pinging noise still persists inspite of tappet adjustment.

Do i still need to check the a/c gas level as the pinging noise was present even before the gas was refilled?

How long and cumbersome is the valve reset procedure?

Jaggu the timing belt is not the culprit IMHO as the timing is fine, but still will have it checked.