Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2022, 10:17   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 brake pedal becomes too hard to press!

This happened last week when I was parking the car in a mall's parking lot. This mall has the multi level parking. Just when I started entering the slot, the brakes got locked, gears did not engage and I had to restart the car again. Restarting got the things back to normal. A few hours later the same issue happened again when trying to reverse the car out of the parking slot.

Scared about the situation I would have been in if this had happened on the road. Only the handbrake could have saved me.

Last service was done more than a year back.

What could have possibly happened here?
Old 20th June 2022, 22:54   #2
CSA

re: Hyundai i20 brake pedal becomes too hard to press!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
This happened last week when I was parking the car in a mall's parking lot. This mall has the multi level parking. Just when I started entering the slot, the brakes got locked, gears did not engage and I had to restart the car again. Restarting got the things back to normal. A few hours later the same issue happened again when trying to reverse the car out of the parking slot.

Scared about the situation I would have been in if this had happened on the road. Only the handbrake could have saved me.

Brakes got locked like pedal was stuck or it was hard? Gears were not engaging?
CSA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 23:29   #3
BHPian

There must be air traped in the brake line. Bleed the brake oil (a little bit), so that the air trapped will be released then your problem will be resolved.
Similar thing happened with me in my i20 but in my case the clutch pedal got hard & stuck and the gears wouldn’t work.
manaljain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 00:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
Brakes got locked like pedal was stuck or it was hard? Gears were not engaging?
Brake pedal was hard - could not press down. Gears - free movement with clutch pressed but none got engaged on release. Hence turned off the car and restarted and things were back to normal. Happened again after a few hours when tried to take out car from parking.

Last edited by AltoLXI : 21st June 2022 at 00:10.
Old 21st June 2022, 00:41   #5
BHPian

I had a recent episode of clutch pedal sticking to the floor whenever I had to press and move from 0 speed. My mechanic found both the master and slave cylinders have failed and replaced both of them.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 05:06   #6
BHPian

Clutch / gear issue - This sounds like an issue with the clutch master/slave cylinder and possibly the pump which is probably why the gear is not 'catching'.

How old is the car? Master/slave cylinder issues aren't uncommon in the i20s after a while. Do get it checked at the ASC or at a reputed garage. If it's a cylinder problem, you may have to replace the problematic cylinder.

Brakes - You will likely have to bleed the line and remove any air trapped in the brake fluid line. If needed, top up the brake fluid post bleeding. With the engine on, press the brake pedal 8-10 times and in quick succession (interval of 1-2 seconds between each press). It should remain fluid every time.

Quote:

sidpunjabi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 09:16   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Hyundai i20 brake pedal becomes too hard to press!

Get the Master Cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and brake cylinders checked for leakages. Please check for minor leakages around the clutch hose assembly.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This happened last week when I was parking the car in a mall's parking lot.
the brakes got locked, gears did not engage and I had to restart the car again. Restarting got the things back to normal. A few hours later the same issue happened again when trying to reverse the car out of the parking slot.
Insuffcient vacuum build up in the brake booster. You may also find this happening in bumper to bumper traffic with repeated application of brakes at crawling speeds.
Get the brake booster checked up for possible vacuum leaks. Also the vacuum lines and connectors to the booster assembly.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2022, 09:58   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
How old is the car? Master/slave cylinder issues aren't uncommon in the i20s after a while. Do get it checked at the ASC or at a reputed garage. If it's a cylinder problem, you may have to replace the problematic cylinder.
The car is 4.5 years old. Not much running till date but the service was done more than a year back. I will get it checked this weekend at Advaith's ASC.
Old 21st June 2022, 10:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The car is 4.5 years old. Not much running till date but the service was done more than a year back. I will get it checked this weekend at Advaith's ASC.
I am guessing yours is a diesel. Your slave cylinder has gone. Get it replaced ASAP before you get stranded on the road.
Old 21st June 2022, 10:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I am guessing yours is a diesel. Your slave cylinder has gone. Get it replaced ASAP before you get stranded on the road.
No, it is Elite i20 petrol. Let me check with ASC this week.
Old 21st June 2022, 18:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The servicing schedule doesn't really affect the working of the master/slave cylinders given the packed hydraulic system. Any issue in these cylinders will usually call for a replacement of the problematic cylinder. Since these cylinders come under wear-and-tear, I doubt that the replacement will be covered under warranty. All the best with ASC and hope your issue is resolved soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
The engine type doesn't matter. I have an i20 Petrol as well, and the cylinders went shod after 5 years of sporadic driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks