Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 10:20   #1
BHPian

Hydraulic vs Electric steering maintenance

While I understand the differences in setups, I would like to know more about how the maintenance done at the ASS differs for Hydraulic steering ? What additional steps are performed ?

Further, what are the failure points in a hydraulic steering system ? Is it likely to fail more than an electric steering ?
Old 28th June 2022, 10:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hydraulic vs Electric steering maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
While I understand the differences in setups, I would like to know more about how the maintenance done at the ASS differs for Hydraulic steering ? What additional steps are performed ?

Further, what are the failure points in a hydraulic steering system ? Is it likely to fail more than an electric steering ?
Hydraulic steering requires maintenance in the form of changing out the power steering liquid and the filter now and then. It varies per car, but usually it is once every 3-5 years.

On a fully electric system, obviously, there is no need for this. Electric Power Steering EPS is virtually maintenance free. There are some system that still use 2 phase DC motors with brushes. Ultimately they wear and need replacing.

The EPS needs careful calibration when it comes to its steering angle and or torque sensor. Due to wear and tear of the various steering and suspension components it might require re-calibration.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:07   #3
BHPian

Basically hydraulic power steering systems can be serviced and repaired. Can electric power steering systems be repaired ?
commonman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 11:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
Basically hydraulic power steering systems can be serviced and repaired. Can electric power steering systems be repaired ?
Sure they can. It does depend on what went wrong. As I mentioned calibration of the sensors is by far the most common problem with them. (sometimes it is revered to as sensor alignment).

Irrespective of the type, the e-motor might wear out at some point in time. Also the internal gearing might wear down over time.

There could also be problems with some of the circuitry board. Or the actual sensors wearing out over time.

A lot of these EPS units come as “one unit”. So they might get replaced in one go as well. But on most you can open them up, although that is more likely to be a DIY job or how you local mechanic would do it, rather than a mainstream dealer. They might just replace the whole unit. More cost effective and then every part is new. It will differ from car to car / brand to brand.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hydraulic vs Electric steering maintenance

In my used Civic the power steering fluid needed to be changed at intervals and also the seals would wear out causing loss of fluid. They would then be needed to replaced by overhauling the power steering pump at a cost to 5-8k depending on the FNG. At the manafacturer service centre they would advise to replace the entire pump.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks