Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2022, 14:04   #1

Mercedes-Benz GLC 200 | Excessive oil consumption

Dear Team,

I am a car enthusiast and I own several cars out of which one of my new cars is possessing a problem since 1 year.
Its the Mercedes Benz 200 GLC petrol.

My car has done 7800 kms and I have already refilled oil 4 times. Please let me know if this is normal. This a BS6 petrol engine 2.0 litre being a city car it mainly drives between 40 & 100 kmph. I have 3 more German cars with similar specs and same BS6 engine but I haven't faced any issue with them. Being a luxury car I want to know if its a luxury to top up oil every 1500 km. Usually in any car, oil top-up arises once in a year or every 10,000-12,000 km.

I spoke to Mercedes Benz service centre and they say its normal to top up oil every 1500 km then why don't my other cars or other car owners face this same issue? They are not ready to accept its a faulty car delivered to us. I spoke to many other GLC & Mercedes owners they never have had this issue.

When I went to the service centre they told me all BS6 engines have this issue but as I told them I own 3 more German BS6 cars which are 1 more Merc, BMW & an Audi. We own some Toyota & Hyundai cars as well which haven't faced oil top up issue at every 1500 km.

We have toped up oil 4 times within 1 year. In fact 1 Mercedes service manager himself said that it can be a faulty engine in the car delivered to us, he wishes to remain anonymous as he fears losing his job. He has been a senior technician for a long tenure.
He said he has never come across through such a car issue.

Dear team please help me escalate this issue.

Best regards
Cargeek05.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2022 at 15:37. Reason: Please capitalise where necessary (not all the words of the sentence) and please proof read before submitting. Thanks
CarGeek05. is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 14:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes-Benz GLC 200 | Excessive oil consumption

Were you getting low oil warning? How much was the top up quantity at each duration. These details will determine if there is a bigger issue or not.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 14:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGeek05. View Post
My Car Has Done 7800 Kms And I Have Already Refilled Oil 4 Times.
Please Let Me Know If This Is Normal. This A Bs6 Petrol Engine 2.0 Litre Being A City Car It Mainly Drives Between 40 & 100 Kmph.
That is not correct, especially on a 4 Cylinder value. You will need to press the dealership for a thorough investigation. Around 700 ml per 1000 Km is acceptable but on 6 Cylinder Diesel (usually)

By any chance, did someone drive rough during running-in?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 16:01   #4

Hi whenever the warning is there we use to take it to the service centre so they would make it full and i would always think its the last time and this wont happen again.

Also the speeds its driven at is usually 4-100/120 max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That is not correct, especially on a 4 Cylinder value. You will need to press the dealership for a thorough investigation. Around 700 ml per 1000 Km is acceptable but on 6 Cylinder Diesel (usually)

By any chance, did someone drive rough during running-in?

Hey no one drove roughly but this is a weird issue.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th July 2022 at 16:07. Reason: Back to Back posts merged. Please use MultiQuote.
Old 5th July 2022, 16:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to Mercedes Benz service centre and they say its normal to top up oil every 1500 km.
They're blatantly lying to you. We have a few Germans in the garage and have owned them for the better part of the last 20 years, including Mercedes' with bigger engines too and I can assure you the oil top ups aren't even close to being that frequent. We even own a few German performance cars, and they still don't need frequent oil top ups.

Press them for more diagnostics and reasons why this could be happening as it is definitely not normal nor acceptable. Have you checked for leaks?
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 18:38   #6

Re: Mercedes-Benz GLC 200 | Excessive oil consumption

Hey thanks for the reply but someone called me up today telling me that its a normal thing for oil top ups.

Its very sad to see that after buying such expensive cars you have to go through such a bad service.
CarGeek05. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 21:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply but someone called me up today telling me that its a normal thing for oil top ups.
It definitely is not normal after every 1500kms. Was the 'someone' who called you from Mercedes?
Old 6th July 2022, 23:08   #8
BHPian

Top ups are a thing usually with diesel cars. Petrols should'nt be consuming any oil as far as I know. Please raise a complaint directly with Mercedes Benz help line.
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 19:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

You need to

Check for leaks - on the ground especially overnight after a good run, oil thins and will flow all over

Check the exhaust pipe- If sooty and oily, it can be confirmed by...........

Checking the compression - 130psi or around that. Check for all 4 cylinders and compare

Last edited by ajmat : 7th July 2022 at 20:06.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Top ups are a thing usually with diesel cars. Petrols should'nt be consuming any oil as far as I know. Please raise a complaint directly with Mercedes Benz help line.
Hey thanks for the reply its really sad to see this happening. We own more then 8 petrol cars and haven't ever faced this issue.

We have only used petrol cars for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You need to

Check for leaks - on the ground especially overnight after a good run, oil thins and will flow all over

Check the exhaust pipe- If sooty and oily, it can be confirmed by...........

Checking the compression - 130psi or around that. Check for all 4 cylinders and compare
Hey Thanks for your reply but i have checked are no oil leaks and really don't know where the oil going. I had to visit the service centre 6 times in 1 year which was quite shocking.

Also Mercedes India is telling me its normal.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 13th July 2022 at 14:44. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post.
Old 13th July 2022, 14:52   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Clearly the only recourse seems to be to escalate to the Mercedes India Management. Apart from TBHP, also enlist the help of one of the big Auto Magazines like EVO or Autocar. Or worst case drive down to Pune and barge into the Merc HQ and show their customer service fellows and product engineers, the problem directly.

Ref oil consumption. My ten year old Mini Cooper with its small Peugeot-BMW N18 1.6 litre turbo petrol engine, does tend to consume about 800ml to 1 litre of oil or so, over 8000-10000kms of running. As far as I have studied about and read about this particular car and this particular engine, these consumption figures are normal. This engine is prone to oil starvation so I do diligently check the levels pretty often.

However, in these newer technology and bigger engines, especially the new BS6 ones and all, this kind of oil consumption would definitely have been much more controlled. Your specific pattern of oil consumption points to something very abnormal and hence my suggestion made above towards seeking recourse.

Quote:

We have toped up oil 4 times within 1 year. In fact 1 Mercedes service manager himself said that it can be a faulty engine in the car delivered to us, he wishes to remain anonymous as he fears losing his job. He has been a senior technician for a long tenure.
He said he has never come across through such a car issue.

Dear team please help me escalate this issue.

Best regards
Cargeek05.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 18:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Thanks for your message I have done it several times but they think it's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Clearly the only recourse seems to be to escalate to the Mercedes India Management. Apart from TBHP, also enlist the help of one of the big Auto Magazines like EVO or Autocar. Or worst case drive down to Pune and barge into the Merc HQ and show their customer service fellows and product engineers, the problem directly.

Ref oil consumption. My ten year old Mini Cooper with its small Peugeot-BMW N18 1.6 litre turbo petrol engine, does tend to consume about 800ml to 1 litre of oil or so, over 8000-10000kms of running. As far as I have studied about and read about this particular car and this particular engine, these consumption figures are normal. This engine is prone to oil starvation so I do diligently check the levels pretty often.

However, in these newer technology and bigger engines, especially the new BS6 ones and all, this kind of oil consumption would definitely have been much more controlled. Your specific pattern of oil consumption points to something very abnormal and hence my suggestion made above towards seeking recourse.
Hi it's a great idea but do you know anyone in Autocar or Evo to highlight this issue would be great and maybe then Mercedes might take the issue seriously.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th October 2022 at 19:38. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks