Team-BHP - check fuel ignition light
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   check fuel ignition light (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/25396-check-fuel-ignition-light.html)

Hi, lately I have been facing a peculiar problem in my Fiat Petra( 21000 Kms) . The check fuel ignition light comes on and the car slows down. I have had this checked at a pvt. service (CAR ZONE)(since car is not under warranty now) and they have said nothing is wrong. They have even done a computer scana nd said they found som errors and reset them. Anyway even now the car shows this problem. Funny hting is though the car runs fine after I stop for a few minutes. Can any expert here speculate on what could be cuasing this problem and give suggestions to rectify it. Thanks in anticipation of your replies

This should be mostly due to a O2 sensor error. Check all the sensors. If the servive center knows the errors, just ask them to fix it.

I agreed with Mail4ajo. I had same kind of problem. When I got my car back from service center, it had oil light on and would not turn off. So I took it back to service center. They checked the oil first(it was full) and than they clean the sensor and it did the trick.

along with the sensors check the alternator for charging, since you mentioned ignition light

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 475372)
along with the sensors check the alternator for charging, since you mentioned ignition light

If the alternator is not suppling current, the battery light only should be on, right?

my assumption is charging light is what he is referring to ignition light?? unless he is referring low fuel indicator as check fuel ignition light

Jaggu

Hi, oops I made an error in writing. What I meant was the fuel injection (in my hurry I made a typo and wrote it as ignition) check light that comes on. SO could it be something clogging the fuel supply or is it the O2sensor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlather (Post 475364)
I agreed with Mail4ajo. I had same kind of problem. When I got my car back from service center, it had oil light on and would not turn off. So I took it back to service center. They checked the oil first(it was full) and than they clean the sensor and it did the trick.

Similar experience, but I checked all the sensors myself and one was loose, which upon tightening fixed the check engine indicator.

Inadequate charging cannot slow down a vehicle !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 475747)
Similar experience, but I checked all the sensors myself and one was loose, which upon tightening fixed the check engine indicator.

Inadequate charging cannot slow down a vehicle !!!

yes it can, rather it can switch off the engine also :uncontrol

Hi, Thanks for your replies. In my hurry to write I made typos. It is the Fuel injection and not fuel ignition light that comes on. Can it be possible that the fuel lines are getting clogged . because what happens is that light comes on and the engine immediately loses power and slows down. The first time it happened I was driving 100-120km/hr with AC on, the sign came on, the steering bean to vibrate and the car slowed down. I stopped and waited for 5 -10 mins and then restarted the car and it drove fine. Then 2 months after the same problem occurred last 2 weeks ago but now this happened at slow speeds and at that time I had it checked at Carzone.

Could be anyone of them then, Fuel pipe, clogged fuel filter, faulty fuel pump, dirty fuel tank, problem in injectors, problem in the ECU. Get them checked.

Its the ignition coil for sure. I had a similar issue with my S10. Injector light comes on intermittently and you feel a massive drop in power right? You restart the car after a while and all is fine. Yep, its the ignition coil. It would cost you around 1900 bucks for the coil + labour.

ROMS, yes you have described the problem correctly. I hope it is the ignition coil. I have fixed an appointment with Shaman tomorrow. So will know for sure. I hope as you say it is the ignition coil. As a result of this problem, I have been driving my car in a hesitatn manner and am scared to speed. Hope it gets rectified soon and I can go back to my normal driving!
So can someone explain , as to why this problem occurs intermittently. I mean how come the car runs fine sometimes? :-)

I am not too much of a techie myself, but I asked the same question to the service advisor at Shaman. According to him, this problem only occurs after the car has run for a while, say 15-20 minutes of driving.Once you let the engine cool down and start the car, the injector lamp stops glowing. But it really feels as if the coil shuts off one of the 4 cylinders when this lamp comes on and the whole car vibrates at idle. No need to worry as such. Its a two minute swap job for them. The ignition coil sits on the top- left side of the engine. The ignition coil which comes as a OE fitment is made by "Champion".They will replace that one with a coil made by "BERU", which is made in Germany.Check on that as well.

Also, Salim was the service advisor and he's a pretty knowledgable chap. You can take my name-Romil Hirani or tell him '' that guy who owns an S10 and is a member of PUG (Palio Users group)."

AN update on the problem. I had it checked at Shaman Sewri . and they have identified it as a bad iginition coil just as ROMS suggested. So they are charging me Rs 2000+ labor costs. Just out of curiosity what makes an ignition coil go bad. Just wondering sicne the car is just 1.5 yrs old.