Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2022, 10:59   #1

Tata Harrier PDI Issues | Shows Drive Mode System Malfunction

Folks, I had booked Tata Harrier Kaziranga (XZA+) 6 weeks ago. I was called for the PDI of the vehicle today. I am just returning back from the showroom. I had fairly read many posts on this topic and was prepared as to what to expect.

One thing that bothered me is the warning that says "Drive Mode System Malfunction" on the console. I asked him to turn off the engine and turn it on again but the warning came back. I was told by the dealership that a system update will fix the issue and they have invited me again for PDI in the next 2-3 hours. I see various threads on internet (other than this forum) where people have complained about having this issue after a few thousand kms of driving and Tata Motor's inability to fix the issue permanently.

The ex-showroom price is already paid when the vehicle was allotted and the car was invoiced. RTO formalities won't happen till I sign on their papers and clear the remaining amount. I seek your expert opinion on this topic and suggest a way forward. TIA

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th July 2022 at 12:20. Reason: Adding paragraph for better readability.
sage_sandman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 12:47   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Harrier PDI Issues | Shows Drive Mode System Malfunction

Ask them for a written root cause analysis if they are fixing it.
DO NOT fall for temporary fixes without knowing what was causing it. Software update fixing something normally means there was some software bug which may have caused it. For bugfixes also there are release notes etc I suppose.

Plus You can always ask for another car as you have flagged an issue during PDI..but this will only be there prior to RTO process. After that, good luck!
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 22:53   #3
BHPian

re: Tata Harrier PDI Issues | Shows Drive Mode System Malfunction

This doesn't seem uncommon on the harrier / safari twins.

Here's a youtube video where a demo car is showing the same error. See at 09:16.

Even the guy recording / presenting doesn't seem to care mentioning about it.

Do let us know what happened afterwards.

Congrats on the new purchase!
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 19:27   #4

Re: Tata Harrier PDI Issues | Shows Drive Mode System Malfunction

Thank you everyone for the response. The issue was resolved after the system was updated. The delivery procedure went smooth with a few niggles that are not worth mentioning.

After one week of driving around, I am experiencing the following issues:

1. Whistling sound heard in the cabin when the vehicle is driven upwards of 60kmph. I initially thought it is the air that is gushing inside the cabin through the sun roof edges but it doesn't seem to be the case.

2. Apple car play doesn't seem to work. Wireless doesn't work at all. When I try wired, the system hangs and surprisingly my phone hangs too. I am not sure what can be done.

3. The glove compartment between the driver and co-driver seat is squeaky when pressed on top. My kids love to stand on top of that to use the sun roof. But it gets a lot squeakier when they are on top. Could it be just the way it is and the same with every Harrier?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 26th July 2022, 11:02   #5

A quick update on the above post. I went to Tata Motors Cars Service Centre - Key Motors, Bikasipura to get this addressed. I called up the sales guy and asked him to brief the service center about my arrival to get these issues addressed. I reminded him the car is a week old and they should prioritise checking these aspects. Here is my feedback on my visit to Key Motors Service Center located in Bikasipura, Kanakpura road.

1. I visited the service center and was asked to wait for 10-15 minutes for a mechanic to turn up.

2. Experience of TMAS handling Apple Car Play Issue:
a. The service engineer did not have any idea about the problem or how to go about fixing it. He asked me to install Android Auto on my iPhone !!! When I politely told him that I have an apple phone and I am supposed to use Apple Car Play instead, he said ok and said he will send someone else.
b. The second guy comes and he says a system update on the infotainment is needed I was having QR 18.00 and the latest update was QR 18_11. He got a thumb drive and updated the system to the latest. The problem persisted and he had no clue what needs to be done. He said that he will send another guy.
c. The third guy turns up sits in the car and asks me to install Android Auto again on an iphone. I lost my cool and told them to stop wasting my time. He apologised and said "sir, nobody has time. we will look after this in first service".

3. Experience of TMAS handling squeaky noise from the storage compartment between driver and co-driver seat.
a. The service engineer shook the entire compartment assembly so hard. I was heartbroken. Tata needs to seriously learn handling a 28 Lakhs car.
b. He said these issues are expected and every vehicle has it. The attitude was such that , you have bought a Tata (albeit it is worth 28lakhs) and start learning to live with such issues.
c. I asked the same question to another service engineer and he said such things cannot be fixed as it is trim parts. No idea what he meant.

4. Experience of TMAS handling the whistling sound
a. No eagerness to even listen to the problem.
b. Started denying it saying it could be coming from the window etc.

All in all, here is my feedback :

1. Tata needs competent people on the service stations to handle vehicles costing 28+ lakhs.
2. Most of the service advisor, CRM from TMAS Key Motors, Bikaispura are incompetent to handle customer and their issues.
3. I was expecting them to be more than willing to handle issues of a car that is just a week old but they did not show any eagerness to keep their customer happy.
4. I have escalated this to the sales guy that sold me the vehicle. I will share my experience if there is anything positive.

Happy riding
sage_sandman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2022, 15:15   #6

An update on this thread:

Apple Car Play Issue:
The issue still remains and TMAS has no clue how to fix it. I decided to move to Android as the experience was seamless with Tata Harrier.

Rattling Noise:
The issue is still there. TMAS could not figure out where the noise is coming from despite multiple test drives. I am yet to figure out as i cannot focus on it while driving. Will keep the post updated when i figure out.

Whistling Sound:
Finally, they narrowed it down to the upper left beading of sunroof. They have decided to change the beading completely to fix the problem. Will share my experience once they do the job tomorrow. Wish me luck.

To other Tata Harrier owners with sun roof:
I experience that even sun shade (not sun roof) closes automatically whenever i drive my car in the rain. Is this expected behavior? I did not find any threads in Team BHP about owners discussing this issue. Can someone throw some light?

-Sandman
Old 10th September 2022, 00:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage_sandman View Post
An update on this thread:

To other Tata Harrier owners with sun roof:
I experience that even sun shade (not sun roof) closes automatically whenever i drive my car in the rain. Is this expected behavior? I did not find any threads in Team BHP about owners discussing this issue. Can someone throw some light?

-Sandman

It is a feature of Safari and Harrier. When the rain sensor detects water, it will automatically close the sunroof. A very good feature that should be more common to be honest.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 13:56   #8

I am not sure if it is just me or others have the same problem too. Sunroof closing automatically when it senses rainfall is a good feature. No questions on that. However, if you have the sunroof closed and just the sunshade open during rains, even then sunshade closes automatically. I complained this to Tata SC during my first service. They said it is a known bug for which a fix is not available. For now, they are disabling this feature in the ECU which is the case in my Harrier now. Till the fix is available, the controls are manual which I am actually comfortable with at the moment

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks