Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:49   #1
BANNED

Skoda maintainence

how expensive is a RS to maintain over a span of 5 yrs. i mean what are the costs of clutch plate, brake pads and over all everything. how often does the wear and tear come in. suspension overhaul ive heard comes to around rs. 100000 and if that is real i wanna stay away from the same. the car will be maintained my garage itself so its not going in company for sure. basically need spares listing asap.
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

A new RS should not cost too much over any regular 15 lakh sedan. As you say you're going to do the basic maintenance from your own garage, then parts are easy to get in the open market.

Suspension, when/if you need it would be about 35-40K for Koni's. Sway bar bushings tend to wear out quick, those cost less than 1K. Lower arm bushings are a bit expensive if given to a dealer as they simply change the complete arm and not just the bushing. You can get only the bushings changed outside.

Filters, brake pads etc. cost the same as any car. However, in the case of any accident, repairs will cost more, especially if you are unlucky enough to wreck the xenon headlights!

But hell, I still don't see another car in India which can come close to given the experience of a RS for under 16 lakhs.
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:40   #3
BANNED

rtech i got wht u saying. but i need part prices like

suspension
clutch plate
filter
oil filter
stuff like that i want to compare if its worth going in for one. im getting a used one btw driven 30k so hence the thread.
Old 22nd June 2007, 19:49   #4
BHPian

Jesal, which model at what price? Is is completely stock?

az
Old 23rd June 2007, 09:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
but i need part prices like
Just call up any skoda A.S.S. and ask them the prices. Simple! Off the top of my head, the air filter is less than 1K. The oil filter is maybe Rs.500 or so. Suspension I already gave you a ballpark figure. Clutch is something you will have to check on.

Plus, I'm off to buy some consumables for my car today, so I can get you the prices in the open market as well.

Last edited by Rtech : 23rd June 2007 at 09:53.
Old 23rd June 2007, 10:19   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Just call up any skoda A.S.S. and ask them the prices. Simple! Off the top of my head, the air filter is less than 1K. The oil filter is maybe Rs.500 or so. Suspension I already gave you a ballpark figure. Clutch is something you will have to check on.

Plus, I'm off to buy some consumables for my car today, so I can get you the prices in the open market as well.
thanks a lot rtech. let me know today. can anyone also help me with the reg of that yellow rs that crashed later on this car painted silver. car im going to see is also silver dont want that now do i. tahnks a lot agagin
Old 26th June 2007, 15:31   #7
Team-BHP Support

Cool! Keep us updated on your next DIY project!

Also, back on topic, I bought the following from the open market for my TDi:
Pollen Filter: Rs.400
Diesel filter: Rs.350
Oil Filer: Rs.275

Last edited by Rtech : 26th June 2007 at 15:36.
Old 26th June 2007, 16:31   #8
BANNED

saw the car NC says it was the same yellow one that crashed not sure. what were the plates on the yellow one. this was a bad fully repainted silver one. bad bad bad. ac vents broken, light sides broken, no plate bolts painted, grille painted, sunroof and turbo worked though had a good saturday afternooon drive though. lol. bad car will look out elsewhere or as usual ill get a new car which i have been doing for 2 years hehehehehehe
Old 11th July 2007, 15:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

A break from This thread (Diesel war : Chevy Magnum vs Skoda Octavia. Whats your pick?)

I am sorry Rtech for the wrong information, recently i had visited the Skoda showroom, you can find pics of the Laura kitted with RS bodykit in another thread.

I had a talk with the sales man and i told him that maintainance is high, he told me well its a Skoda( and this is the reason where brand image kicks in)

Next thing is please consider cost per service. Take the car cost and divide by the service costs so then you will find the service cost quite close to the Mercedes C Class.

You did your service, tell me which parts did you procure from the dealership, i read on another thread you got some parts from the market for service.

Referring from this thread

Quote:
Quote:
Also, back on topic, I bought the following from the open market for my TDi:
Pollen Filter: Rs.400
Diesel filter: Rs.350
Oil Filer: Rs.275
A few costs of Spares from the Chevy website, i looked up at Skoda website but there is no mention of the spares price.

Parts..................Chevy Magnum.........Skoda Octavia
Air Filter...................448...................... ...710
Oil Filter...................425...................... ...378
Fuel Filter...............1465........................1 473
Wiper Blade(Pair).......330........................1558
Timing Blet(Chain)....1940........................2791
Fan Belt/Drive Belt.....658........................1399
Brake Pads(4)...........1986.......................3479
AC Coil....................9860...................... .17940
Radiator Hose Set.......723........................3215
Front Strut(shock)....2984.......................3783
Front Brake..............2615........................304 7
F Sus Lower Arm.......2875........................4847
Clutch press plate * ..8119........................13927
Clutch release bearing.. part of *................2552

Rest accidental repair the part bin of the Optra is half of the Skoda, for the prices check the Chevy Site.

My point is to say that since a Skoda is german(uses parts from VW) its servicing is bound to be like other german cars(Merc) and cannot be compared to Japanese/Korean cars since parts are cheaper and so is labour cheaper out there.

P.S Using Dots as space doesnot work here. Please excuse.

Last edited by Rtech : 11th July 2007 at 15:32.
Old 11th July 2007, 15:32   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Next thing is please consider cost per service. Take the car cost and divide by the service costs so then you will find the service cost quite close to the Mercedes C Class.
This is certainly a new way for me to calculate costs! I really don't compare the cost of the car to the cost of service. But, if you (and some others) do, then that's ok by me.

Quote:
You did your service, tell me which parts did you procure from the dealership, i read on another thread you got some parts from the market for service
I never did say I went to the dealership did I. I did say that mad monkey did, and was charged Rs.4,000 and change.

Lets take your rate chart and calculate the cost of a basic service:
Oil
(consider they both
use Mobil 1)...........3000.......................3000
Total Parts cost: ...5338.......................5561

So where is that huge difference in cost that you speak off? It will not show up in regular services.

Yes, if you have an accident, parts for the Skoda are usually more expensive, however, not by that much than other manufacturers. Hence, i again ask, where do you get figures of Rs20,000 or 15,000 for Soda services?

Also, this is now a null point as all new Octavia are sold with a 3 year service holiday, just like GM.

Can we now finally put this folklore to bed?
Old 11th July 2007, 17:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, this is now a null point as all new Octavia are sold with a 3 year service holiday, just like GM.
This was the step taken by Skoda after they saw most Octy customers being drawn to Chevy Magnum

I never said 15k or something, it was all hearsay about Mercedes priced costs and i am sorry for the same.

Buttttttt i cant just get the point of spares being costly, i am not talking about service ones here, but say your LHS mirror or any part malfunctions? What about suspension components and the likes?
Old 11th July 2007, 18:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
I never did say I went to the dealership did I. I did say that mad monkey did, and was charged Rs.4,000 and change.

Lets take your rate chart and calculate the cost of a basic service:
Oil
(consider they both
use Mobil 1)...........3000.......................3000
Total Parts cost: ...5338.......................5561

So where is that huge difference in cost that you speak off? It will not show up in regular services.

Yes, if you have an accident, parts for the Skoda are usually more expensive, however, not by that much than other manufacturers. Hence, i again ask, where do you get figures of Rs20,000 or 15,000 for Soda services?

Can we now finally put this folklore to bed?
I dont think its as simple as that, Rtech. People have received 5 digit bills quite regularly during routine service and this is NOT for the oilchange and filter. This includes guys who have been on the forum with Skodas.

I dont know about the comparison to the Magnum because that is an unknown factor, but Skoda maintenance costs are not merely folklore. Not just in India, but abroad too - I know my friend's Superb service costs about 3.5 times as much as my Chevy's, and thats just the oil change.

Last edited by Steeroid : 11th July 2007 at 18:02.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
This was the step taken by Skoda after they saw most Octy customers being drawn to Chevy Magnum
Lol! Busa, does GM pay you to be so loyal! Yes, ofcourse they did! And GM took equally long to launch this diesel engine in India! Competition is only good for us, the end consumer, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I never said 15k or something, it was all hearsay about Mercedes priced costs and i am sorry for the same.
Buttttttt i cant just get the point of spares being costly, i am not talking about service ones here, but say your LHS mirror or any part malfunctions? What about suspension components and the likes?
I believe your exact words were: the Skoda service bills are on par with the mercs i guess slightly less but still quite expensive for the segment,

As far as the other parts go, there will be some parts which are more expensive with Skoda and other that GM will charge more for. Hell, certain parts of a Baleno will be far more expensive than either of these. Does that mean a baleno has the same service costs of a Mercedes?

Hence, I was simply replying to that statement and the facts are clearly refute this statement of yours.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rtech - i meant in my post no 11 of this thread i was referring not to consumables but to spares as well, competition is good for us and its high time Toyota and Honda get their diesels here.
Old 11th July 2007, 18:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ok. Lets get one thing clear here. I'm not blindly defending Skoda here. I'm the first person to raise my hand and call a spade a spade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I dont think its as simple as that, Rtech. People have received 5 digit bills quite regularly during routine service and this is NOT for the oilchange and filter. This includes guys who have been on the forum with Skodas.
I don't doubt that. With labour and some other work thrown in, it could definitely move into the 5 figure mark.

However, at the risk of being repetitive here, you have to remember that the bulk of the cost is only the oil! Skoda dealers charge Mobil1 at Rs.700/liter I think. So the cost of the oil if Rs.3,500 alone. Compare this to the cost of regular oil used at all the other dealerships and you see where the excess cost goes.

But, check the current prices of consumables. They are on par with the industry. And that is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steer
Not just in India, but abroad too - I know my friend's Superb service costs about 3.5 times as much as my Chevy's, and thats just the oil change.
But we are talking only India here. And now that they have the 3 year service holiday, it's going to cost the same as a Chevy to service in India. Also, the superb is another story altogether! I've heard some horror stories there, but we are confining ourselves to the Indian Octavia here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks