Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2022, 14:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?

Hello Friends,

In my 2014 Wagon R vxi i have never changed the button cell or battery in my keys, Thanks to MSL

Sanjeev
Sanjeev V S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 15:42   #32

I own a 2019 Renault Triber RXZ. The original battery was a Maxell CR2032 and it lasted nearly two years Now I have changed this to Duracell and i always keep a spare battery in my wallet.
prasad666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 17:00   #33
BHPian

This might be a coincidence as I came across this thread the same day I replaced battery (CR2032) of my keyfob. I own a Hyundai Alcazar and the battery only lasted for an year! However, the battery in my Venue is still going strong for past 2.5 years.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:28   #34
BHPian

I am still continuing to use the KeyFob received with my Safari Storme since 2015.
One of the keyfob remote key signals started to fade away, maybe in 2017, I guess.

After reading the comments here, I think, it is high time I will get the battery replaced this week.
Old 25th July 2022, 18:57   #35
BHPian

I have a 2014 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ model which came with push button start. I was told (wrongly) by the SA that a working remote with good battery is required for starting the car.

I started getting a problem with remote that battery used to get drained very fast, something like in a month's time. I was very concerned that this problem has got the potential to leave me stranded. Fortunately from a thread in T-Bhp, I learned that I can start the car, even if the battery is fully drained. See my post on this https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post5326327 (Ford EcoSport DIY: Replacing the Smartkey's Battery)

It would have been a costly proposition to replace the remote. So I started using the second remote, which seems to be fine for now.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th July 2022 at 20:05. Reason: 2004 -> 2014
Old 25th July 2022, 21:12   #36
BHPian

My 2016 Duster uses a CR2032 cell. I replaced it myself today. The Duracell CR2032 cell costs Rs40.
It is possible to snap open the keyfob using a small screwdriver and replace it . Then we can press it and snap it back in place.
Old 28th July 2022, 13:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNair View Post
This might be a coincidence as I came across this thread the same day I replaced battery (CR2032) of my keyfob. I own a Hyundai Alcazar and the battery only lasted for an year! However, the battery in my Venue is still going strong for past 2.5 years.
The key fob of my Kia Sonet was giving the battery low warning in a years time, asked the service advisor to replace it along with the service. It is then the service advisor informed me that there is a silent recall by Kia as some of the fobs are faulty and will drain the battery, they will be changing the board inside the fob FOC.

But for that I was supposed to bring in both the keys, and the process will take around 2 hours as they need to raise a request to the manufacturer and they have to provided with a pin to be programmed onto the fob. Please check with your dealer too as Hyundai being a sister concern might be sourcing from the same source.

Kia owners who are facing the issue of key fob battery drain please contact your dealer as it is not a mass recall and they will be doing it for people who raises a complaint on battery drain issue of the key fob. Will update once I get it done, hopefully by this Saturday.
raj4466 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 21:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
Kia owners who are facing the issue of key fob battery drain please contact your dealer as it is not a mass recall and they will be doing it for people who raises a complaint on battery drain issue of the key fob. Will update once I get it done, hopefully by this Saturday.
Is there a specific batch for which this problem is reported? Or could you please help to check with the guys at Kia when you visit the SC?

Aside, I have recently got the Sonet, but I have got only ONE keyfob for now.

P. S.: I too have come across many reports of key fob battlery drain on the WA / telegram groups.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 1st August 2022 at 21:55.
Old 1st August 2022, 22:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Please check with your dealer too as Hyundai being a sister concern might be sourcing from the same source.
My 2018 Elantra (with keyless entry) has this issue too. I had raised it at the annual service with KUN Hyundai Service at Kondapur and they brushed it off as “possibly a faulty battery”.

The battery has been draining itself in ~9months. On the 3rd battery in the last 3 years.

Please update the procedure that KIA performs on your key fob, will push Hyundai for the same.
Old 1st August 2022, 22:50   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad666 View Post
I own a 2019 Renault Triber RXZ. The original battery was a Maxell CR2032 and it lasted nearly two years Now I have changed this to Duracell and i always keep a spare battery in my wallet.
In my earlier Santro, I had replaced the battery in 3rd /4th year. But, my Etios Liva is 11 years old and 120000+ KM on the Odo. But not a single battery change yet. Dropped it and drenched it 'n' number of times and nothing happens. Experiences like these made me to wait for the launch of Hyryder for replacing the Liva.
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The key fob of my Kia Sonet was giving the battery low warning in a years time, asked the service advisor to replace it along with the service. It is then the service advisor informed me that there is a silent recall by Kia as some of the fobs are faulty and will drain the battery, they will be changing the board inside the fob FOC.

But for that I was supposed to bring in both the keys, and the process will take around 2 hours as they need to raise a request to the manufacturer and they have to provided with a pin to be programmed onto the fob. Please check with your dealer too as Hyundai being a sister concern might be sourcing from the same source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
My 2018 Elantra (with keyless entry) has this issue too. I had raised it at the annual service with KUN Hyundai Service at Kondapur and they brushed it off as “possibly a faulty battery”.

The battery has been draining itself in ~9months. On the 3rd battery in the last 3 years.

Please update the procedure that KIA performs on your key fob, will push Hyundai for the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
In my earlier Santro, I had replaced the battery in 3rd /4th year. But, my Etios Liva is 11 years old and 120000+ KM on the Odo. But not a single battery change yet. Dropped it and drenched it 'n' number of times and nothing happens. Experiences like these made me to wait for the launch of Hyryder for replacing the Liva.
So I have a Kia Seltos GTX+ (4 button key fob) and I replaced the CR2032 battery after about a year of owning the car (I got the alert to change the battery).

I don't see this as an issue. It hardly cost anything and it's a complete DIY that takes 30 seconds. There are many posts on groups: people asking what to do after the alert comes, others are advising go to the service center.

Honestly replacing batteries is such a basic thing and is even explained in the user manual (but obviously, no one reads or even refers to that )

The reason I don't see this as an issue is that the Kia key fob (and many other new generation connected cars) uses a slightly different technology as compared to conventional central locking remotes. It has location aware/powered RFiD tech built in too. (I could be wrong about this - happy to discuss and/or stand corrected).

For instance, if you walk close to the car with key bob in pocket, the mirrors can auto unfold (no button press). If you leave the key fob inside car and try to lock doors using request sensor, it won't lock (because it detects the key inside the car). If the car is locked and you just approach the boot with key fob in pocket, you can still open the boot easily. All these convenience features require extra battery consumption.
dynomite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 16:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Is there a specific batch for which this problem is reported? Or could you please help to check with the guys at Kia when you visit the SC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfry View Post
I have not been able to get it replaced yet as its raining heavily here in Kerala and most of the roads are flooded now. Shall update more details once i get to talk to the SVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
The reason I don't see this as an issue is that the Kia key fob (and many other new generation connected cars) uses a slightly different technology as compared to conventional central locking remotes. It has location aware/powered RFiD tech built in too. (I could be wrong about this - happy to discuss and/or stand corrected).
If this was not a manufacturing defect why should KIA change both the keys free of cost? I usually change the battery myself, but this time I was just lazy and asked them to do it for me.
raj4466 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have not been able to get it replaced yet as its raining heavily here in Kerala and most of the roads are flooded now. Shall update more details once i get to talk to the SVC.

If this was not a manufacturing defect why should KIA change both the keys free of cost? I usually change the battery myself, but this time I was just lazy and asked them to do it for me.
I could be wrong about this, but I believe they may be either adjusting the sensitivity or distance (or replacing with boards that have lower sensitivity, which could be possibly better suited to Indian conditions). The way that the powered key fobs work, they use a bit of battery to communicate with the car but when out of range, they switch off.

There are cases where the key fob is placed too close to the car when parked, which drains the battery since the key is constantly pinging the car receiver.
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:00   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
The Punto key-fob is still on its original cell and it has been 10+ years.
After 10.5 years I think it is gone, as the immobilizer symbol comes on too often with this key. I am hoping that a new cell would resolve the issue.
Old 7th November 2022, 22:27   #45
BHPian

Couldn't have seen this thread at a more appropriate time! I just finished a long trip from Mumbai-Wayanad-Mumbai last week, and the car started to show a Key Low battery on my way back near Pune (i carried both the keys, and it showed a warning with both the keys). My 2.4 AWD CR-V uses the common 3V CR2032 button cell. I got these cells replaced about 2 years back.

I just got it replaced yesterday, however it still showed the same error despite me replacing it. Though it's not constant now as it was earlier in the journey, wanting to ask if somebody faced this after replacing the fresh set of batteries. Could it be the case that the cells aren't original? (the pack says PD (Production Dt) 07 2020 and ED (expiry date) 06 2028, so this has slim chances of an old pack.

Any suggestions?

Most Viewed