Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2022, 19:42   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i10 : Major Automatic gearbox issues

Team,

Got a I10 AT 2009, in Delhi for parents. Driven just under 45k the car has been flawless.
However, Off late from last couple of weeks, gear problems have cropped up as follows-

1. Sometimes the car would not engage in any gear

2. If starts moving then would work flawlessly upto 2 gears , upper gears will rarely engage. My observation is that 3rd gear is causing issues and doesn't engage. However of the speed is above 50, occasionally 4th engages.

3. At times moving, would suddenly disengage itself in moving traffic - Lever will remain at D but disengaged. SCARY

4. OD doesn't work - Again this is 3rd Gear

Now to probable solutions-
1. Gearbox - oil change. Done- no respite

2. Gear box change- way to costly >3Lacs

3. Went to a local FNG, couldn't diagnose the problem. Offers to convert to manual transmission - Not recommended as for parents AT is must

4. options...., please advise - trusted FNG's , others...??
Tarun is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th July 2022, 23:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai i10 : Major Automatic gearbox issues

I recently had a (somewhat) similar issue with my Hyundai Xcent. The gearbox would get stuck in 3rd gear and the reverse engaged with a slight jerk, and all of this was intermittent.

Turned out to be a faulty ECM, and I hear such transmission complaints are common with the Hyundai 4 speed TC over the long run.

Did you get the ECM checked?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2022, 10:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I recently had a (somewhat) similar issue with my Hyundai Xcent. The gearbox would get stuck in 3rd gear and the reverse engaged with a slight jerk, and all of this was intermittent.

Turned out to be a faulty ECM, and I hear such transmission complaints are common with the Hyundai 4 speed TC over the long run.

Did you get the ECM checked?
Not yet, will get that checked as well...

Thanks for the input..
Old 25th July 2022, 14:19   #4
BHPian

I had a similar problem where the gears wouldn't shift beyond 2nd /3rd, but mine was a diesel automatic (VW-Jetta) and the cause was attributed to poor engine performance due to diesel quality/diesel filter.

So, if you have not already done so, you may want to get the engine checked and or tuned-up .
Old 18th September 2022, 21:30   #5
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 : Major Automatic gearbox issues

As Crazy Driver said, the first thing to check would be the ECM. In fact, you can get a diagnostic tool connected and have the entire electrical system checked. Could be wiring damage, a failed sensor or the ECM itself. If the electrical system is ruled out, then the mechanicals will have to be checked. A good mechanic should be able to diagnose a problem with the torque converter hardware.

Your best bet would be to have the car inspected at a good Hyundai Authorised dealership because they are likely to diagnose the car in a systematic manner. After getting the diagnosis, it is your call whether you want to get the work done from them or not. To ensure that they don’t charge you for diagnosis, you can get something minor (like an oil change, for instance) done from them.

Alternatively, you can also try the garages behind Khan Market. I often see them working on premium cars, so they should have knowledge about automatic gearboxes in general. Just be warned that I have found some of them to not be very honest with money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks