Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 23:06   #1

Throttle lag in the Mahindra XUV500

Hi everyone, need some advice with an issue that's cropped up in the last 7-10 days in my 2016 XUV 500 W 10 AT FWD (ODO 91950). sometimes while driving specially when we decelerate (due to maybe stalled traffic or something) and when trying to accelerate again the pedal press does not translate to throttle response immediately (within 0.5 sec or so as was usual previously) it takes a leisurely 3-5 sec before the vehicle pulls ahead.

Once it does respond then it accelerates normally until it happens again randomly. It doesnt happen everytime but frequently enough to raise a concern.

I will take it to the dealership in a day or two but before I do I wanted to get some sense as to what could be the probable cause/s of this glitch so that I can have a better idea and be in a position better cross question them or direct their efforts in case they cant figure it out or try and push some stopgap measure to save their efforts.

Any and all insights and ideas are welcome!
Dr.Ambrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 00:26   #2
BHPian

re: Throttle lag in the Mahindra XUV500

Your car most probably needs a throttle body cleaning. In worst case scenarion there might be some controller problem i.e. delay in signal transfer which can be rectified by checking error codes.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 21:10   #3

Re: Throttle lag in the Mahindra XUV500

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I did visit the service center and after the test drive the SA was of the opinion that the air filter might be the reason but since the car went in for the routine 90k service just a month ago shouldn't the air filter had been assessed then? He however did assure that the throttle cleaning would also be done so lest hope the issue resolves.
Old 6th August 2022, 07:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ambrish View Post
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I did visit the service center and after the test drive the SA was of the opinion that the air filter might be the reason but since the car went in for the routine 90k service just a month ago shouldn't the air filter had been assessed then? He however did assure that the throttle cleaning would also be done so lest hope the issue resolves.
Our XUV500, manual 2015, had a similar behaviour a year or so back. The service centre replaced the "vacuum modulator" (that's what they called it). From the way they were so sure that this was the culprit, I felt its a common problem with the 500. The cost was ~2500 IIRC. Yes, it did bring back the mojo
vinjosep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 07:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Our XUV500, manual 2015, had a similar behaviour a year or so back. The service centre replaced the "vacuum modulator" (that's what they called it). From the way they were so sure that this was the culprit, I felt its a common problem with the 500. The cost was ~2500 IIRC. Yes, it did bring back the mojo
I too had a similar observation around 70k reading, thought air filter needs to be replaced. Do not recall vacuum modulator being replaced though. But it was back to normal after filter replacement
Linuskm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 09:23   #6
BHPian

Check the air filter for dust, if no issues found get an OBD scanning done in private, probably might cost you around 1000 INR. Vaccum modulator may be the culprit, but it makes buzzing noise if gone kaput.
Scanning your car before heading to service centre is advised. Keep us posted once it's diagnosed.
Gypsian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 02:35   #7
BHPian

Check for the EGR being blocked.
Fuel and Air Filters.
Possibly a minor tear in the turbo or intercooler hose.
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 21:42   #8

Hey thanks all for the tips and ideas.

Got the work done and the air filter turned out to be the culprit and now the problem of throttle lag while trying to accelerate is gone BUT now there seems to be a new issue of throttle lag and lack of power (? if it makes sense) when driving the car for the first time during the day and it seems to persist for the first 2-3 kms only.

as the usual morning drive is to drop my son to school I've noticed it consecutively for three days now. Tried to idle the car for about 5 mins before driving but that doesn't seem to have an effect. will try for a few more days and get back with an update.

This is only for the first 2-3 kms and the previous problem of the lag occurring intermittently throughout the drive is no longer there. I'm not sure if I'm able to convey the behavior of the vehicle correctly it seems as if we are in a higher gear as compared to the speed of the vehicle in a manual car (mine's an AT) and it gives the feeling as if the vehicle might stall but then the car somehow "wakes up fully" and moves as it should after the first 2-3 kms.

and just to be clear it doesn't drive this way for the full 2-3 kms there are maybe 2-3 episodes of 3-5 secs each in that distance.

sorry if I'm not able to convey the issue properly, ill watch for a few more days and the back with an update.

PS: My first post was somehow picked up by Mahindra and forwarded to the agency tagged as "negative feedback found" and directed by the regional head to the dealership to contact me and resolve!! Imagine my surprise when the SA called me asking "Sir have you complained online?" and I had to explain to him how this was only for discussion and better understanding and not a "complain"!!
Old 9th August 2022, 22:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Clean the MAF sensor that is present just after the air filter box. That might solve your issue
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 07:27   #10
BHPian

I would check if the Accelerator pedal has gone bust or not, Considering everything else is has been checked once. Connect the scanner and see how fast it hits 100% when you press the pedal all the way. If its not instant then there's your answer.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Old 21st September 2022, 08:28   #11
BHPian

Go to another ASS, and do a complete service, changing all filters.
By the way, when was the last time you replaced the Diesel filter, it should be done atleast once a year, if you drive more than 2/3k per month, or once in 2 years.
Old 21st September 2022, 09:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
when driving the car for the first time during the day and it seems to persist for the first 2-3 kms only.
Related to this new issue, have you got your fuel filter changed recently?

Few of us in Bangalore are facing something similar - but including fluctuating RPM on cold start. This happened soon after we all changed fuel filter as part of regular service.

We doubt its an issue with a batch of filter, however the local M&M service center mentions there are no other complaints apart from ours.

I have purchased another fuel filter to get over this issue, yet to get time to go and change the same. Will update you past that. Hopefully by this weekend will get it done.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 18:26   #13

Quote:
Hey thanks all for the tips and ideas.

Got the work done and the air filter turned out to be the culprit and now the problem of throttle lag while trying to accelerate is gone BUT now there seems to be a new issue of throttle lag and lack of power (? if it makes sense) when driving the car for the first time during the day and it seems to persist for the first 2-3 kms only.

as the usual morning drive is to drop my son to school I've noticed it consecutively for three days now. Tried to idle the car for about 5 mins before driving but that doesn't seem to have an effect. will try for a few more days and get back with an update.

This is only for the first 2-3 kms and the previous problem of the lag occurring intermittently throughout the drive is no longer there. I'm not sure if I'm able to convey the behavior of the vehicle correctly it seems as if we are in a higher gear as compared to the speed of the vehicle in a manual car (mine's an AT) and it gives the feeling as if the vehicle might stall but then the car somehow "wakes up fully" and moves as it should after the first 2-3 kms.

and just to be clear it doesn't drive this way for the full 2-3 kms there are maybe 2-3 episodes of 3-5 secs each in that distance.

sorry if I'm not able to convey the issue properly, ill watch for a few more days and the back with an update.

PS: My first post was somehow picked up by Mahindra and forwarded to the agency tagged as "negative feedback found" and directed by the regional head to the dealership to contact me and resolve!! Imagine my surprise when the SA called me asking "Sir have you complained online?" and I had to explain to him how this was only for discussion and better understanding and not a "complain"!!
Hi, Dr. Ambrish.
I have been facing the exact same problem as you and it has occured just after the 60,000km major service of my XUV500 W6 AT. The throttle lag is apparent and the service center had changed my air filter as well after I have pointed out the throttle lag and lack of power. It feels as though the car is running on a higher gear and the pickup is less. I had it inspected multiple times but mechanically everything seems fine. If you could give a status update of your XUV500 it would be great and if you had found solutions. Also please let me know if your XUV500 is running fine. Coincidentally my fuel economy has also increased.
Old 12th February 2023, 18:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Cruiser View Post
Hi, Dr. Ambrish.
I have been facing the exact same problem as you and it has occured just after the 60,000km major service of my XUV500 W6 AT. The throttle lag is apparent and the service center had changed my air filter as well after I have pointed out the throttle lag and lack of power. It feels as though the car is running on a higher gear and the pickup is less. I had it inspected multiple times but mechanically everything seems fine. If you could give a status update of your XUV500 it would be great and if you had found solutions. Also please let me know if your XUV500 is running fine. Coincidentally my fuel economy has also increased.
Hi Dr Cruiser, seems like you have the exact same issue I had. Regrettably I failed to post an update to the saga:

so one day after about 25-30 days of facing the random episodes of throttle lag during the initial drive my car just kind of gave up and the loss of throttle became continuous and became coupled with profuse black smoke from the exhaust. Sent the car again to the Mahindra service center and this time they figured out the culprit to be something called the "Vacuum Modulator" which needed to be replaced and I haven't faced the issue since.

The throttle response is smooth and consistent and I'm a happy man now !!

hopefully your XUV is facing the same issue and it might help if you can ask them to check out this vacuum modulator.

Do keep us posted here.
Dr.Ambrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 23:21   #15

Hi, I am interested in replacing my stock air filter in my XUV 500 W11 AT AWD (2018) just to get more oomph in performance and also may be some fuel efficiency, Is it a good idea? Is there any downside to filter upgrade to a BMC? Your suggestions welcome and valued, thanks guys!

Most Viewed