Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 02:10   #1
BHPian

Suspension Upgrade | Honda City

Greetings to anyone reading and a thanks in advanced for anyone who will pitch in with sound advice.

I own a 2012 3rd gen Honda City, the ODO currently stands at 50k km. I had bought this car last year from the pre-owned market at around 33k km. The intention was to have a reliable car with a good engine and something I could DIY on. While the engine, steering, brakes, AC everything was well preserved, the age of the vehicle had taken a toll on the suspension rubber parts resulting in harsh ride, poor handling.

So I ended up replacing the following parts:

- Front struts (switched to TRW, they definitely feel better than stock)
- Struts mounts, bearings, bump stops etc.
- Link rods
- Lower arm and sway bar bushes

Basically a complete overhaul, except the springs (which are still the factory springs).

Here is the dilemma, while there was considerable improvement it still feels lacking. Low speed ride quality is stiff, even small bumps are noticeable, the thuds are louder not hushed like in newer vehicles, although high speed manners are respectable, most of my time is spent on city roads.

I looked into getting better struts (Bilstein, Tein, Koni and the likes) but the only option in the market I found was Tein Endura Pro Plus (EDFC Compatible) and a set of 4 struts costs a hefty 80k.

And spending 80k on a car that I will be keeping at most for another 2.5 years (roughly 30k more km) does not seem financially prudent. Plus sooner than later engine mounts also will be replaced, I can feel more vibrations, engine note has become more rhaspy than it was creamy, so that would be another 26k + labour expense.

So after scratching my head for months, I have turned to the wisdom of fellow BHPians.

Summing up, I feel following are the options I can explore:

1) TRW struts, but get progressive springs. I am assuming that should soften the ride and still have the necessary stiffness when needed.

2) Get even better struts/struts + springs, but the lack of options and cost factor for Teins is a big deterrent.

and lastly, my most recent idea,

3) try and retrofit struts/springs from newer gen Honda city's or even Jazz.

Jazz is basically the same platform, and from what I could figure from OEM catalogues on boodmo, the struts for newer model city's look very similar, but the springs visibly have changed. (refer to attached photos)

I am really keen on this 3rd option because it would save me both time and money.

Really looking forward to your input and suggestions.

P.S.: On an entirely separate note, I have noticed that newer cars have a much more plush ride, mature suspension with comfy low speed ride and stable highway manners, what was once considered GREAT is now the norm. This was greatly exemplified to me when I travelled in a friends new Baleno. Maruti seems to have done a good job with it. All this led to my thoughts in point 3, what if I could just take the struts/springs from newer models, overhaul rest of parts as well, could I replicate these modern standards in my older vehicle. I hope I am making sense
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension Upgrade | Honda City-whole-photo.jpg  

Suspension Upgrade | Honda City-5th-gen-city-diagram.jpg  

ibisbrew is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Suspension Upgrade | Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibisbrew View Post
Here is the dilemma, while there was considerable improvement it still feels lacking. Low speed ride quality is stiff, even small bumps are noticeable, the thuds are louder not hushed like in newer vehicles, although high speed manners are respectable, most of my time is spent on city roads.
If the tyres are older than 6 years, that also contributes to the harsh low speed ride quality. Because the rubber would have become hard. Installing comfort oriented tyres would show a good improvement to low speed ride quality.

Change all 4 springs. The rear ones are cheap at 800/piece. Front ones I do not recollect. The springs sag over the years and also affect the ride quality. Change the rear spring top and bottom rubber pads as well. I would not recommend installing the springs from a different generation of Honda City since the shape and mount of the springs might be different. Also, the shock absorbers/struts are matched with the spring rate for damping. For shock absorbers, I would prefer sticking to OEM since you get 6 months warranty on them

Lastly, keep the air pressure in the tyres a couple of PSI below the manufacturer recommended. You may have to do some trial and error to get the sweet spot in the ride comfort.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 19th August 2022 at 14:11.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If the tyres are older than 6 years, that also contributes to the harsh low speed ride quality. Because the rubber would have become hard. Installing comfort oriented tyres would show a good improvement to low speed ride quality.

Change all 4 springs. The rear ones are cheap at 800/piece. Front ones I do not recollect. The springs sag over the years and also affect the ride quality. Change the rear spring top and bottom rubber pads as well. I would not recommend installing the springs from a different generation of Honda City since the shape and mount of the springs might be different. Also, the shock absorbers/struts are matched with the spring rate for damping. For shock absorbers, I would prefer sticking to OEM since you get 6 months warranty on them

Lastly, keep the air pressure in the tyres a couple of PSI below the manufacturer recommended.
Thanks for the reply and bringing some points that I forgot to add initially.

- Tyres are new, bought a fresh set of MRF Perfinza's when I bought the car last year, I considered making a switch on my next set, but I love the grip on these perfinza's way way too much

- I have experimented with all sorts of tyre pressure, that helped but not enough

- I also wondered, if the it's just the springs that have aged and lost their qualities over time. I guess I will try to get new OEM one's first, it's a smaller expense but worth a shot I guess.

I think I should also try reaching out to Honda A.S.S if they can confirm how bad or good is my idea of switching to newer gen springs, although I doubt they will even give this a second thought and just reject the idea.
ibisbrew is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:49   #4
BHPian

This particular model had pathetic ride quality from Day 1 - it gets only worse with age. As someone who has a 2011 model on stock everything, I suggest driving it as it and investing the 80K for your next car (whenever you buy it)

Honda ASS will reject your idea; instead ask them to take you for a drive in similar car and you'll find the same results.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply and bringing some points that I forgot to add initially.

- I also wondered, if the it's just the springs that have aged and lost their qualities over time. I guess I will try to get new OEM one's first, it's a smaller expense but worth a shot I guess.

I think I should also try reaching out to Honda A.S.S if they can confirm how bad or good is my idea of switching to newer gen springs, although I doubt they will even give this a second thought and just reject the idea.
HASS will definitely reject the idea since they are not authorized to carry out such non model specific modifications.

Springs do degrade over time. Since the degradation is gradual, you will not notice it. Since you have changed all the suspension components except the spring, that will be your last bet. You will have to live with whatever ride quality you get after changing the springs.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
This particular model had pathetic ride quality from Day 1 - it gets only worse with age. As someone who has a 2011 model on stock everything, I suggest driving it as it and investing the 80K for your next car (whenever you buy it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You will have to live with whatever ride quality you get after changing the springs.
|

I was afraid of reading just these words, I might just have to live with, but I will still hold out hope for now.
ibisbrew is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:25   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
|

I was afraid of reading just these words, I might just have to live with, but I will still hold out hope for now.
Get the rear shock absorbers checked as well for compression and rebound.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Gen 3 does have the worst suspension. I had an overhaul done recently including springs on my 2012 SMT. There’s hardly a difference.

I would also suggest that you live with the current setup. Save the extra nucks for your next purchase.
JayKavadi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:00   #9
BHPian

Please check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...akh-km-up.html (3rd-gen Honda City Ownership Review | 11 years, 1 lakh km up)

I am also in the same boat - pun intended I spent around 10k on suspension overhaul but don't see significant improvement. I went to a reputed FNG, and he suggested I not try any high-end suspension work, even though they regularly do it for other cars. He added that the car's chassis is not meant for that. Anyway, you are right; it would be imprudent to invest 1 lakh for fixing the suspension on a 5 Lakh INR car.

I am watching your thread to see if you can find any solution. However, my previous research pointed to keeping the car running as long as we have to, not anything more.
shobhit.shri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 17:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post

However, my previous research pointed to keeping the car running as long as we have to, not anything more.
City has such a gem of an engine, that it is impossible for an enthusiast in me to keep low running.
I find every possible opportunity to be behind the wheels of this car.

Having said that, I am in similar boat as OP & all others.
Mine is 3rd gen City which is in pristine condition.
The only hiccup which I have is its low ground clearance.
It has given me nightmares, especially last few years, due to low ground clearance & recent trend of high speed breakers in Pune city.
Finally, I have installed RogerAB spacers now, although compromised on ride quality to a great extent.
I have explored multiple forums & FNGs for solution without splurging.
Keeping fingers crossed to find some solution in reasonable budget. I'm ready to spend upto 25k for solution.
NerdSpeaks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 18:31   #11
BHPian

I have a 2012 iVtec ANHC. It has done 80k kms. Ride quality and GC has always been the Achilles heel for 3rd gen City. However ride quality of my car has improved a lot with the following modifications or additions. The car now takes bad roads in a much matured manner than it used to do before.

- Added Suspension buffers to all 4 suspension set up. Car doesn't get bogged down with weight. Ride is mature.

- Installed CNG tank (60kgs when full). With additional load there is a significant improvement in ride quality. Buffers keep a check on GC. Of course, the tank was meant to help me bring down my fuel bills.

- I keep tire pressure at 32psi. All 4 of them. Rear can be 2psi more.

I would suggest to opt for good quality suspension buffers. It will make huge difference to your current ride.

Last edited by keeprevving : 22nd August 2022 at 18:36.
keeprevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 19:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKavadi View Post
Gen 3 does have the worst suspension. I had an overhaul done recently including springs on my 2012 SMT. There’s hardly a difference.

I would also suggest that you live with the current setup. Save the extra nucks for your next purchase.
I am unfortunately leaning towards this side as well, because the TRW shocks have good highway manners, it's only the low speed quality (10 - 40 km/h that is the same, over this speed, it flattens out bumps much better) but I will try new OEM springs, since they haven't been changed at all, might have a teeny difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhit.shri View Post
Please check this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...akh-km-up.html (3rd-gen Honda City Ownership Review | 11 years, 1 lakh km up)

I am also in the same boat - pun intended I spent around 10k on suspension overhaul but don't see significant improvement. I went to a reputed FNG, and he suggested I not try any high-end suspension work, even though they regularly do it for other cars. He added that the car's chassis is not meant for that. Anyway, you are right; it would be imprudent to invest 1 lakh for fixing the suspension on a 5 Lakh INR car.

I am watching your thread to see if you can find any solution. However, my previous research pointed to keeping the car running as long as we have to, not anything more.
I actually made a personal enquiry with the creator of the thread you have linked. He mentioned he got TEIN for around 40k in 2019, which probably is the Tein Endura Pro (not pro plus which is EDFC compatible).

I even enquired from where he had gotten the work done, I contacted the shop (Pitstop, Ramoji city, Hyderabad) the chap who attended the phone did note my enquiry, but nothing has panned out so far.

If I were to get Teins at 40k, it would be no brainer decision, from what I have heard, the Teins are miles ahead in low speed ride and handling, they soften thuds too given their hydraulic bump stop that's frequently advertised.
Old 23rd August 2022, 08:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
If I were to get Teins at 40k, it would be no brainer decision, from what I have heard, the Teins are miles ahead in low speed ride and handling
Yes, it will be incredible to get something like that for 40k. I am eagerly waiting for your next update!
shobhit.shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 18:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Really looking forward to your input and suggestions:
Have you taken any decision yet? Mine is 2013 city with 115K odo. Although i had not requested, but during last service Deccan Honda Pimpri had quoted a fat sum of 1.2 Lacs for complete front and rear suspension replacement (including arms, bushes, links, strut etc.). In the observation they SA mentioned Bush cut.

I do get some noise (chu-chu) from rear while descending down from bigger speed breakers, specially in morning time. But its not too bothering so ignored till now. If there is a reasonable solution then i am ready to take a plunge.

Thanks again for this thread.
UD
Old 26th August 2022, 20:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
Have you taken any decision yet? Mine is 2013 city with 115K odo. Although i had not requested, but during last service Deccan Honda Pimpri had quoted a fat sum of 1.2 Lacs for complete front and rear suspension replacement (including arms, bushes, links, strut etc.). In the observation they SA mentioned Bush cut.

I do get some noise (chu-chu) from rear while descending down from bigger speed breakers, specially in morning time. But its not too bothering so ignored till now. If there is a reasonable solution then i am ready to take a plunge.

Thanks again for this thread.
UD
Unfortunately no updates on my end, but 1.2 lacs seems obscenely high, I do suggest you ask your SA to give you an itemized list of what needs replacement. Even if you replace every single component of the suspension as is, parts cost barely comes to 50 - 60k, even with labour charges, 1.2 lacs is just robbery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks