Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2007, 17:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

At last somebody, least of all a Mod agrees with me that I've been harping all along.

After one of the TASS in Delhi poled me up with my Safari resulting in the steering pump failure in '04, I've stopped going to authorised service stations. My local guy has kept my both vehicles purring in pristine condition.

And even if I buy a new car, I'll really have to give a very serious thought about going to an authorised workshop.

After all what is an authorised workshop? It is just a private garage that has been certified by the manufacturer as being a place where the vehicles will be taken care off as per the guidelines of the manufacturer and the mechanics employed are given a 3 to 6 month training in company's plant for some propiretory innovations that each car maker does. The basic principal of internal combustion engine remains the same.

If that was not so, then no roadside mechanic would have been able repair these modern generation cars. So going by this logic what prevents these authorised workshops to cut corners and make some money on the sly? And to add to this, how many of the car owners are as fussy and finicky as the members here or elsewhere?

No company watchdog is ever present in the authorised workshops to overlook if the company guidelines are being followed or not.

My contention is that it is my car and when it goes to a workshop, I need to know and see what goes in and out in the innards of my vehicle. If that is not happening then there are chances of malpractices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I will never be going to TASS ever again after all their attempts to screw up my indica. But when I buy a new car, I am at the mercy of the authorized service stations!
How do you know that the removed/replaced spares are that of your vehicle only? Pardon me for being to too cynical and skeptical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakaaaaasss View Post
as for spares like plugs/pads/filter etc, i always ask them to put the used one in the boot
This exercise, it means, is simply to get the service book stamped. Does that really matter? Maybe yes for resale purposes. But I never bought my cars by looking at the service record.

A rough test drive, a discerning ear and a peep beneath the skirt on a ramp did the job for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not really.

1. Tell them you don't want an oil change. Chances are that they'll refuse - warranty issues and all that.
2. Tell them you'll change oil yourself - they can just tick the oil change in the service book. One of our Kolkata BHPians had such a setup with a MUL workshop.
3. Worst case - let them change oil/filter. Just go out and change again at your trusted place. You'll end up spending a bit more - but will be worth it.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2007 at 23:00.
Old 29th June 2007, 17:48   #17
BHPian

I stay with my cars when geting serviced ... after all its just a matter of 4-5 hours in 6 months for each car (mera bacha)

Thats the best to know what they are doing and not experimenting or siting inside with a/cs ON.

Cheers !!
Old 29th June 2007, 23:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

I've always managed to walk into the Hyundai workshop floor, when they are working on my car. No one's asked me to get lost (yet!).
In any case, I've struck up a camaradrie of sorts with the service manager who handles my car, so normally am assured good service.
I'll always be the guy with the HUGE air filter to the Mukesh Hyundai guys!!
Old 30th June 2007, 02:02   #19
BHPian

This not only happens in India (if it really does ) but it DEFINITELY happens here in the US. Theres a certain company which called Jiffy Lube which is an oil change etc etc. drive thru. MSN did a survey they marked the oil/air filters with a certain paint and left them at an x number of jiffy locations and found out 80% of those people never changed the components and on inspecting the oil they found the same no change. Its a good way to make easy money for these ppl.

p.s. is it ok to write the name of the company here ?
Old 30th June 2007, 04:11   #20
BHPian

Why Jiffy Lube, I think even the Mercedes Dealers screw up. I recently bought a used C coupe which had oil changed at dealer not too long ago and another 7000 miles to go before next oil change and what do I find? The oil is black with lots of sedimentation! I had to spend 100 bucks to have it changed again. Next time I will do it myself and save atleast 50 bucks.
Old 30th June 2007, 04:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
80% of those people never changed the components and on inspecting the oil they found the same no change.
And they didn't get lawsuits slapped on them?
Old 30th June 2007, 05:56   #22
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
MSN did a survey they marked the oil/air filters with a certain paint and left them at an x number of jiffy locations and found out 80% of those people never changed the components and on inspecting the oil they found the same no change. Its a good way to make easy money for these ppl.
Didn't know Jiffy lube did that. I got my oil changed at Meineke for $20 and even I'm unsure if they changed the filter at all. I've decided that I'll do the oil changes myself..doesn't take more than an hour and isn't even very difficult either.
Old 30th June 2007, 20:58   #23
BHPian

Shaman Tata-Fiat Sewree service center is among them, I showed my local trusted mechanic before I gave them for servicing when I got my car next day I showed it to the same mechanic he showed me quality of the oil it is exactly the same little tint of blackish color I dont know how much of the oil they drained but I m pretty sure they are chor bcoz my car didnt felt any changed infact I found my car to give less average eversince it returned from the Shaman
Old 30th June 2007, 21:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking about changing oil myself. It does not seem to be a tough job. What do you think?
Old 1st July 2007, 15:56   #25
BHPian

Even TATA allows you put in Oil from Outside as long as its approved by TATA- which are Castrol/HP/Mobil 1.

Mitsubishi Does not allow that, So I rather buy the OEM filter and change the oil outside on my lancer.

BTW The best way for a service is to be present there...That One Day which belongs to your car.
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:23   #26
BANNED

Will the colour of the engine oil change after driving 100/200 KMS in a petrol car ?
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:18   #27
BHPian

Last week when driving my Santro, for a fraction of a second I caught the engine oil warning light flashing. This I ignored and thought the sensor must be playing silly here cos in last 7 years I never saw this light come on excpet when cranking the engine. But then it happenned again in a day or two after the first incident.

I got a little worried so on Saturday morning I checked the oil level by pulling out dip-stick. And to my utter surprise it wasn't wet at all !!! The oil level was below the reach of dip-stick. My car was not spewing white or black smoke and there was not oil dripping from engine or exhaust pipe either. The engine felt a little coarse (when you pay attention) which I thought of poor quality fuel but nothing alarming at all.

I straight away went to Noida Sector 16 and bought 0.5 litre Castrol Magnatec (Rs.120). Came back and Added it to the engine. Checked after sometime and to my surprise, the oil didn't even wet the dip stick!!! parked vechile in shade and went back and got myself 3 Litre Castrol Magnatec (Rs. 670 with Ambipur car perfume free). I added oil to the engine and you won't believe it ... apart from 0.5 litre added before, it took close to 1.5-1.7 litre (approximately) before the oil level actually came close to the upper mark of dip stick. To no surprise, the engine immediately felt better. Afterwards I drove approximately 25 kms during the day.

The next morning I checked the dipstick again. Because by now the engine is 100% cold and all oil must have drained to the oil sump. It showed oil level a fraction over the maximum oil level which should not be problem. To my relief, the color of the oil remained golden.

My assumption is that the service station may have added inadequate quantity of oil to the engine. Do not know if that was an accident or a deliberate move but it would have been disastrous for poor 81K run engine. Most importantly I am about to leave for Nainital in second week of July. Imgaine what might have happenned with abysmally less engine oil especially on inclines.

One thing is for sure now ... I am not going to get oil changed at authorized service station ... ever. Have already purchased Nulon and STP engine flush for the next time.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:22   #28
BHPian

100/200 kms is a small distance, but yeah it should change a little atleast..
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:04   #29
BHPian

Tanveer I find it really odd how can they shoehorn you out.

I mean Come On yaar, It's your car, your Money and Not the other way around.
My experience with various HeroHonda and Maruti and even Tata guys in my City has shown me that these guys will always advice you to sit back in the customer lounge. But if you that you Insist being there, they always polietely welcome you and advice you to maintain distance with cars in the workbay for safety reasons, but that's about it. Wont bother you again.

It is only once few years ago at a new MASS I was told to stay out as workshop regulations didnt allow me to be in. I just asked them to cancel my jobcard and no servicing to be done from them.
That worked! I was there only till the very end.

But anyways, since you are happy with your mechanic, why bother?
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

A nice golden brown like a nicely done toast...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Will the colour of the engine oil change after driving 100/200 KMS in a petrol car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks