Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2022, 12:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement

I do not know if this helps but still, I suggest one replace the hydraulic fluid of the AMT every 3 years. I recently got the fluid replaced during the Tiago's 4th year service. The SA told me that no one gets it done but I insisted. They pull the old fluid from the reservoir using a big syringe and fill in fresh fluid. The old fluid was muddy brown. Now I do not know if this old fluid was OK or not from a chemical point of view, but it did not look OK to my eyes. In contrast, the new fluid is golden color.

The AMT hydraulic is a closed loop system just like brake and coolant systems. The AMT fluid level does not go down unless there is a leak. So, it is better to err on the side of caution and get the fluid replaced. Costs 1000 rupees a liter. Need around 500ml. Remaining 500ml can be kept for next change.
sagarpadaki is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 10:32   #17

re: Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement

AMT failure is the last thing I want to hear after owning two Tata AMT cars.. I already saw some M/A switching issue once, which I now presume was due to a weak battery.

Last week I saw a battery failure in exactly 13 months. Battery is still under warranty but the Tata service center at Thrissur asked me to leave the car for 4-5 days at workshop for them to test the battery and send it to Amaron for confirmation. Leaving car for 4-5 days was not an option for me, so just got it replaced by the local Amaron dealer.
rajeshks777 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:04   #18
BHPian

I had driven a friend's Tiago AMT multiple times and found it very tricky. During sharp turns even at slower speeds, the gear response was delayed and risked braking. A couple of times had to bear harsh looks from other drivers. Always wondered if the gearbox was tuned properly or it needed fix. Informed my friend, but didn't follow up.
Shivam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 12:10   #19

It is because of issues like these, that I am hell bent that my first car should be a proper automatic (TC or CVT), else would've booked the Nexon long back. I hope and pray that the car owner gets this issue resolved at goodwill, thanks to team-bhp and members for bringing topics like these on a public platform.
dnabhi25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:31   #20
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
My relative is currently struggling with a major issue with his TATA Tiago AMT and the company seems to be trying to avoid taking responsibility of this major issue.
Honestly neither do I want to sound cynical nor I want to freak you out but my AMT Nexon was cancelled on the insistence of my TATA Service Advisor.
Had driven a Manual Tiago for almost 60k KMs from Aug-16 to Feb-21 without any issues.
Experience was so good that I wanted to upgrade to Nexon XZ+ but my ASS Advisor strictly advised me to stay away from AMT as he was certain about the failure after 3 years when EW also don't cover gearbox.
Anyway eventually I bought the City CVT for peace of mind.
Yes fact is AMTs are unreliable in long run and OEMs don't want to agree and shy away from their responsibilities.

Anyway DM me if it is in Bangalore and let me see if something can be worked out.

Last edited by src : 11th October 2022 at 13:32. Reason: Typo
src is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 13:36   #21
BHPian

I wanted to get a nexon so badly, i just love the car but listening to all these experiences with AMT it brings me back to reality. Even when i test drove, the AMT was not great at all (Horrible i would say), i even considered Diesel variant after hearing that AMT works relatively better on Diesel engines. TATA has such a good opportunity and they continue to deliver sub par experience to many.

They say AMT has low maintenance, 93k is low? Better get a proper AT which is more reliable. My Vento DSG has 85K in bangalore traffic without any issues at all. Even if it fails it might cost me say 1.5 lkh, which is 50 k more than what they are charging for AMT. We at least get a proper automatic with best in class driving experience.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon, good luck.
NJ_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:12   #22
BHPian

I have recently bought a pre-owned tiago XZA+. it's a November 2021 make and was run 10,000kms. This is my first AMT, and I'm still trying to get used to the mechanics of the transaxle. Tata should tune it to change gears at 1500rpm at the max. Right now, it loudly revs to 2200-2500rpm in gear 1 before shifting to 2. I have to drive with the AC off to smoothen it out a bit.

In the long run, with 90% city driving, I'm sure this will take a physical toll on the gearbox. Sad to learn the extended warranty doesn't cover the gearbox :(

Has anyone had their car tuned to change the rpm limit for gear changes?
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Honestly neither do I want to sound cynical nor I want to freak you out but my AMT Nexon was cancelled on the insistence of my TATA Service Advisor.
Had driven a Manual Tiago for almost 60k KMs from Aug-16 to Feb-21 without any issues.
Experience was so good that I wanted to upgrade to Nexon XZ+ but my ASS Advisor strictly advised me to stay away from AMT as he was certain about the failure after 3 years when EW also don't cover gearbox.
Anyway eventually I bought the City CVT for peace of mind.
Yes fact is AMTs are unreliable in long run and OEMs don't want to agree and shy away from their responsibilities.

Anyway DM me if it is in Bangalore and let me see if something can be worked out.
Your comment gave me a a shudder as soon as I read it. Are you sure the extended warranty won't cover the said parts? I was at my Tata dealership in Agra yesterday, and this is what they gave me (image below).

I think the text isn't very legible after uploading.
Here is a transcript :

ANNEXURE II

Engine

Cylinder head, head gasket, oil pump and drive, crankshaft, flywheel and ring gear, timing gears, belt and chains, camshaft, cam follower, valves (excluding burnt and pitted valves), valve gear, pistons, connecting rod, gudgeon pin, distributor drive, inlet and exhaust manifolds, bore/liner, turbo, intercooler units where factory fitted, variable geometry Turbocharger, EGR cooler, Cam box, Auto tensioner.

Clutch

Clutch pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing (Any breakdown covered up to 50,000 kms from the 1st km) master

and slave cylinder, clutch cable (failure due to worn or burnt clutches are not covered), Clutch switch, clutch HP pipe.

Transmission/AMT automatic transmission (if fitted)

Internal gears, shafts, synchromesh rings and hub, bushes, selector forks, drive chains, gear lever and bushes (failure

due to worn or burn out clutches and bands are not covered), Gear shift cable, reverse switch. Torque on Demand. AMT

and its internal parts Cooling System

Radiator, water pump, thermostat, engine oil cooler (failure due to external damage or corrosion is not covered), Steering System Rack and pinion, steering box, column, shaft bearings, couplings, power steering pump, pressure pipes, reservoir. Electric power steering system and its component.

auxiliary tank.

Final drive Crown wheel and pinion, differential gears, hub and hub bearing. Rear Disc brakes/Drums Front wheel drive

Drive shaft and couplings, constant velocity joints, hub, drive flange, transfer case.

Fuel System

Fuel pump, pressure damper, auxiliary valve, overrun cut off valve, deceleration valve, tank sender unit, Fuel rail, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, Assembly fuel injection pump, high pressure pump, common rail, high pressure pipes and pressure hoses, throttle body, continuous variable cam phaser unit. Fuel pump calibration & rectification for faults.

Brake System

Servo, master cylinder, wheel cylinder, diesel vacuum pump, callipers, Discs (excluding brake pads/liners/drums) upto 50,000 kms, handbrake lever and ratchet, ABS ECU with modulator, wheel speed sensor, brake pedal switch. Suspension

Shock absorbers, bush, control arms, upper and lower wishbones, springs, sub frame. Any claim is limited to 50,000 k

ms only from the 1st km.

Casings

Should failure of any of the components covered result in damage to the casings, then they will also be covered and will

constitute part of the maximum claim liability. Exhaust system

Secondary air pump, EGR valve, EGR actuation system. Intake System

Assembly throttle body (which includes map sensor, throttle position sensor and idle speed control valve). Air mass

flow meter air temperature sensor, cam angle sensor, Air intake throttle, oil separator and PVC valve. Ignition System

Ignition switch, Immobilizer ECU.

Evaporative Emission Control Fuel tank cap and relief valve, Glow Plug (upto 50,000kms), fast idle control device, cold start valve

Engine Management System Water temperature sensor, crank angle sensor, vehicle speed sensor, distributor, ignition coil, ECU, cam sensor knock

sensor, lambda sensor, PDA position sensor, rail pressure sensor, accelerator pedal sensor.

Electricals

Starter motor and solenoid, alternator, wiper motor and washer motor, window motors, fan motors, panel switches and instruments, driver information system, body control module, ambient temp sensor, Rain light sensor, Blue tooth box. Rear view camera, window winding controller. Wiring harness not covered.

Air Conditioning Compressor, condenser, evaporator and clutch magnet, AC control panel, Thermal Expansion valve, blower motor, heater unit, pressure switch. Automatic climate control unit. As for such parts as tyre, batteries, seats, music systems, chassis frame, rear dead axle, body parts

etc. this warranty shall not apply

This warranty shall not cover normal wear and tear or any inherent normal deterioration of the car or any of its part arising from the actual usage of the car or any damage due to negligent or improper operation or storage of the car. This warranty shall not apply to normal maintenance services viz. oils & fluid changes, head lamps focusing, fastener tightening, wheel balancing, tyre rotation, adjustment of valve clearance, fuel timing, ignition timing, wiper blade/ rubber, distributor cap, HT leads etc, and consumables like bulbs, fuel filters & cll filters etc, and normal deterioration of sensory feels ilke noise, touch and texture of particular component.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement-img_20221015_134509.jpg  

Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement-img_20221015_134517.jpg  

Last edited by lemedico : 16th October 2022 at 09:36.
lemedico is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:37   #24
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
Your comment gave me a a shudder as soon as I read it. Are you sure the extended warranty won't cover the said parts? I was at my Tata dealership in Agra yesterday, and this is what they gave me (image below).
Brother, honestly I don't know the situation now.
But during my purchase clearly my Service Advisor mentioned me and I did cancel my booking.

But if not 3 years there must be a cap of the same.
Also don't go by documentation as long as you are not a legal expert.
Actually very few companies follow the same and am not elaborating further.

Thanks.
src is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I am going to write to Tata and try getting some kind of a goodwill warranty for this car owner.
LATEST UPDATE (17 Oct):

Even after multiple followups from my relative's side and some help from GTO, Tata was not ready to provide any significant goodwill gesture from their side and just offered a 10% discount for the material and 20% labour. Since they wanted the vehicle urgently and they did not have any other alternate options, my relative agreed to go ahead with the proposed work.

The was repaired (in fact, only replacement of AMT assembly, TCU unit alone was done) at a cost of Rs86382.46/- which was paid on 15th October 2022 and vehicle delivery taken.

Unfortunately, even after spending so much money and effort and mental agony, the problem seems to be not fully resolved While driving the vehicle back to my home and to work thereafter for approximately 100kms, the vehicle did not go into 5th gear at all (even at speed of 90km - VIDEO ATTACHED)! Not sure what diagnosis and repair Tata Service centre has done after looting the customer!!!

If anyone can help to get this escalated to Tata Motors, please get back to us, we are now not sure how to proceed. We are very disappointed with this incident and are repenting on the decision to take a Tata AMT vehicle

I would also like to request help of members here to share this experience widely and give more coverage in other forums as well, so that other Tata customers and potential customers are warned of such issues and shoddy handling offered by Tata and can take an informed decisions when going for a Tata vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement-screenshot-20221017-10.53.33-am.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: zip InShot_20221016_121129013.mp4.zip (13.12 MB, 28 views)

Last edited by TheWanderer : 17th October 2022 at 10:55.
TheWanderer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While driving the vehicle back to my home and to work thereafter for approximately 100kms, the vehicle did not go into 5th gear at all (even at speed of 90km - VIDEO ATTACHED)
Haven't checked the video yet but just make sure that the sports mode wasn't engaged.
I am not aware if Tata's AMT systems have it or not, just a blind guess. Ignore if incorrect.

Tough time for you at the ASC. Ask them to take it back to rectify and drop off at your place. Take them on a long test drive and check each and every aspect you suspect migh be impacted(make notes if needed). Although it should be the ASCs job but they're clearly not doing it.

Reaffirms my belief against AMTs and especially Tata AMTs.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Haven't checked the video yet but just make sure that the sports mode wasn't engaged.
I am not aware if Tata's AMT systems have it or not, just a blind guess. Ignore if incorrect.
It was not in Sport mode as indicated by the image attached in my previous post. When sports mode is engaged, there is a different display on the top bar in Orange. The attached picture and video in my previous post has a blue indicator (CITY) in the top bar indicating normal operation. See the following video
for a comparison in display between the two modes.

Last edited by TheWanderer : 17th October 2022 at 17:16.
TheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Dr. Subin Vaidyamadham for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I'm writing to you in order to report recurrent issues in my Tata Tiago vehicle and register a complaint against Tata Authorized Service Centre officials.

All of my vehicle's regular services except 1 or 2 were done at TSC Hyson Motors, Thrissur. The vehicle's last paid service was in August 2022. It experienced running problems related to gear shifting in September 2022, which was reported to the same Tata Service Centre (TSC). Initially, they returned the vehicle after a check-up saying that it was only a battery issue, but the problem occurred again in the last week of September 2022. I had asked the same TSC to look into the issue in detail.

Quote:
A complaint (5-163454130809 dated 01.10.22) was registered after the service advisor informed me that a vital part seemed to be defective. My vehicle was repaired (in fact, only replacement of AMT assembly, TCU unit alone was done) at a cost of Rs. 86,382.46/-, which was paid by me on 15th October 2022 and vehicle delivery was taken.
Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement-screenshot_20221016182358_drive-1.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT gearbox issue | Unresolved even after expensive actuator replacement-20221016_124752.jpg

Quote:
I personally drove the vehicle back to my home and to work thereafter for approximately 100 km. Never did the vehicle’s 5th gear get e (even at a speed of 90 km/h) and the problem continues.

Quote:
I emailed crm@hysonmotors.com regarding the same. Now, as I had reported the same to the service advisor, I had been advised to bring the vehicle again to the service centre on the next working day i.e. Monday (17.10.2022).

Complaints:

What repair did the TSC actually do that the vehicle on its first drive post repair has issues OR was an inferior, substandard spare part was fitted as a replacement?

Was really the issue related to the said unit for which a high cost was incurred OR was I fooled by the TSC because of their inefficiency to identify the problem?

Did Tata Motors conduct an enquiry into this before vouching for the replacement OR did they casually side with the TSC for promoting sales of the spare part?

The service manager at Hyson Motors and the General Manager at Hyson Motors who are the responsible officials regarding the matter never did try to explain directly to the customer in any of the above three instances regarding such an important, rare complaint. Also, it seems that they did not ensure that the vehicle was delivered after the requisite pre-checks post-repairs. If this isn't this a clear case of gross negligence and quality compromise, WHAT IS IT?

I seriously suspect that some tampering has been done with my vehicle and doubt misconduct at the TSC. I'm bringing the matter to the notice of Tata Motors with no expectations as I have already lost confidence from my previous experience.

If this was some adjustment for the "special discount" that you had given, I would like to pay in full and get my vehicle back in good running condition. I’m the sole bread winner of my family and I value each paisa that I have to spend.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 03:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
- Has anyone faced similar issues?
Hi! I own a Tata Tiago XZA 2017. Drove for around 10000 kms (8 months) and the AMT issue creeped in. The car was stalling mid drive and refused to start again. It corrected itself after an hour or so. Happened on 4 occasions. Had to get the car towed the last three times.

Reported the problem to Tata ASC, and everytime they quoted some random problem like battery or ECU. The last time they said the clutch wore out. I was amazed as to how a new (8 Month old) 10k kms driven car can wear its clutch and asked them to replace the components under warranty but they refused and asked me to pay categorising it under normal wear and tear!

Long story short, I'm currently in a consumer court battle with them over the issue and the car is still in the service centre (for 4 years now).

Last edited by Archie_27 : 21st October 2022 at 03:06. Reason: Didn't quote correctly
Archie_27 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 21:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie_27 View Post
Hi! I own a Tata Tiago XZA 2017. ...
Long story short, I'm currently in a consumer court battle with them over the issue and the car is still in the service centre (for 4 years now).
That's so sad

Latest update. No major offers from Tata, money was paid, the car has been "repaired" and appears to be working (as of now). Fingers crossed...
TheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks