Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2022, 20:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier woes right from day 1 of ownership | Defective steering rack assembly & pump

Engine - FCA + Gearbox - Hyundai + WABCO/SONA - steering + Tyre from other OEMS + many different sourcing.
Tata's job here is more of an assembler and do a proper QA and sell it to customer.
If that also they can't do, their honeymoon period will be over sooner than expected.

But I also wonder why these issues come mainly in Harrier/Safari and not the other cheaper models.
Is it made in a different plant ?
RaghavEvoX is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 20:39   #17
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier woes right from day 1 of ownership | Defective steering rack assembly & pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
But I also wonder why these issues come mainly in Harrier/Safari and not the other cheaper models.
Is it made in a different plant ?
Altroz and Harrier are made in the same line in Pimpri Plant while Nexon is in FCA-TATA JV plant in Ranjangaon. Pimpri plant is usually used for making commercial vehicles and Indica was the product of this plant. From what I saw Mahindra(Chakan plant) manufacturing process is far better than Tata.

Last edited by greyhound82 : 12th October 2022 at 20:43.
greyhound82 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 09:00   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Dr Aman Veer Singh for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!.........
I empathize with Dr. Singh completely & hope T-BHP highlights the issue thoroughly. My one and only experience with Tata was the earlier Sierra. Despite its novel 3-door design, great handling and robust body-on-chassis structure, its litany of niggles and issues convinced us – no more Tata vehicles! And our subsequent great experience with Mahindra’s Scorpio (and our current ride, the Thar) convinced us to stick with Mahindra. We have not regretted the decision.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 19:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

I had ignored this thread initially because the title itself has become too routine and we generally know the contents.
Honestly I have given up on TML, their dealers and ASC.

Lamenting on the sad state of affairs of the aforementioned trio would be redundant so will try to keep to this problem only.

Some observations:
- If the TML engineer has changed the entire steering mechanism right from steering wheel to the rack and pump and the issue persists it means the problem lies elsewhere and needs a detailed investigation but not at the customer's cost. I would've suggested observing the lower arms and wheel during the issue to start with but since I assume that would've already been checked.

- The cluelessness also shows that TML hasn't designed the system. I didn't expect the steering mechanism to be outsourced too but I stand corrected.

What should have happened:
  1. Once the problem has been confirmed and the fixes haven't worked the customer should be immediately given a replacement vehicle to carry on with their life while the issue is being investigated.
  2. The customer is to be kept updated with the developments to make them feel a part of the loop.
  3. Once the issue is resolved the vehicle should be cleaned and polished and handed over to the customer at an agreed time with an apology for inconvenience, details of the resolution and some complimentary stuff like service coupons/extended warranty at the very least.

This should ensure that the customer despite going through the unfortunate event will feel as a part of the team/family and that goes a long way in building loyalties, just look at how folks talk about MSIL.

This "free advice" comes from experience but not necessarily automotive.

Hope the Doc gets a resolution ASAP and gets back to doing what he does best

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I think the forum has been desensitized to faulty Harrier threads. These used to get a lot more replies.
Bullseye, me included and sadly. It has become like our traffic situation in a way.
IMHO someone (an owner) has to start a "Yet another Harrier/Safari ordeal" thread to collate information in one thread and I would suggest the same for other brands too.

Last edited by shancz : 13th October 2022 at 20:00. Reason: formatting
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 08:03   #20
BHPian

Another horror story on the Tata Twins. Loved the design philosophy but will not dare to touch them with a barge pole. Have a first hand experience of the Tata Motors stellar service thanks to our indica V2. My BIL was on the lookout for a 7 seater in the 25 lakh range. Pointed him to the Alcazar/Carens rather than a very good looking Dark edition Safari.
sharad_kmc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 19:31   #21
RRM
BHPian

Dear Dr. Aman, hope you get a resolution asap! If you don't get the resolution soon, start thinking of legal route as it's a brand-new product. I know it's a tedious process in India, but company awakens only when such fuss is made against them.

There are enough horror stories (this forum as well as in many others) of the tata products like harrier (as well as safari) and still we gamble our money assuming that one will not be presented with another lemon, but it proves wrong in 8/10 cases. Both are absolute messy products

Its 22L at stake. We Indians buy cars with pride and such experience makes life hell.

With so much first-hand info from owners available for TATA R&D and Service teams, why is that they are unable to fix it? How long one should have patience!

There was a similar case (safari I think) few months earlier from Punjab (there was a video). Not sure what happened to that, but he did the right thing to make a fuss about it in social media

Last edited by RRM : 7th November 2022 at 19:32.
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 23:10   #22
BHPian

Well all my neighbours are TML employees and when I was out in market to buy SUV I was clearly told to stay away from Harrier / Safari duo. Heck when I zeroed down on Nexon I was told to evaluate Sonet once. I never say this in forum just to not to be branded against Tata but it’s horrifying to see substandard quality vehicle being delivered to individuals after paying hard earned money.
20+ lacs is lot of money for middle class family and has lot of dreams associated with it.
I think Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota and MG do much better job in terms of quality and customer care.
FiatDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 01:25   #23

It's baffling that every now and then there is a thread on the Harrier twins.
Almost 3 years since TATA launched the Harrier and there are still horror stories like this with their flagship product.
I hope that TATA will rectify this in the next iteration of the Harrier twins.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th November 2022 at 07:39. Reason: typos
Octane 99 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th November 2022, 10:25   #24

It's appalling that a Brand new SUV sat in the garage mere 4 days post delivery.

One hopes that the Brand is listening to this ordeal and will lead with empathy and quick corrective measure concluding this torrent of negative commentary.

The good doctor is owed an apology and a one time repair/replacement.

Aside from this, I recall watching YouTube videos where a start up in Gurgaon using advanced software inspects vehicles for production flaws in the stockyard. It may well be worth ones while to get an expert 3rd party to professionally inspect the vehicle before accepting delivery.
Tripper_trooper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 16:42   #25
BHPian

Another day, another TATA motors horror story. No doubt the product is good, it's the knowledge part of their service centres I'm afraid of. Issues can happen with any product but how you resolve them is the key to retain customers. Instead of launching new editions - Dark, Kaziranga, #Jet , TATA should focus on improvising existing products, their customer service and their quality testing/PDI teams.

Dear Doctor Aman, I sincerely hope the issue gets resolved and you enjoy your vehicle as you planned, but if it isn't yet, do ask dealer for a replacement vehicle until they solve these issues.

I was in the market last year and was totally in love with Nexon dark edition, but when I test drove the car, the test vehicle had so many issues.
1. It was beeping at irregular intervals (I was wearing seatbelt and was not going above 80kmph)
2. My kid opened sunroof, but when he tried to shut it, it failed to shut completely. The sales executive mentioned it could be due to dust or leaves interrupting the sensors to work.
3. Rear passenger door inside handle was lose and felt like it will break.

I understand that it was a test drive vehicle and people use it roughly, but vehicle with just 9k on the odometer and is used to give people experience of how the vehicle would be, I believe it should be in top notch condition. I've test driven many vehicles and never felt any issues with any other vehicle so far. After this experience, I politely stepped away from TATA.
Beingtraveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 01:57   #26
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
Heck when I zeroed down on Nexon I was told to evaluate Sonet once.
This is surprising. Nexon is a pretty common car these days and if we go by the posts on this forum, the customers are quite a satisfied bunch. I personally use a Tigor and apart from it being under powered and the gear shifting not being as smooth as Maruti, I'd say I'm happy about the purchase.
Old 9th November 2022, 17:42   #27

Hi

Somewhere, I had read that, the Fiat engine in TATA Harrier is made for left hand drive.
Can this be the reason that the steering has issues? Many say steering is heavy at slow speed.

Amanji, reach TATA directly and they should give a solution. Mahindra gives good service to their XUV 700 customers, they have replaced the vehicle, which had some major issue.

I have zeored in on TATA Harrier XZM+, it will be a leased car.

There is nothing else available at this price, which is really good on Highways. Creta and Seltos are under powered, XUV has long waiting period, Jeep is overpriced. After Ford's exit, Fortuner is being sold as Luxury vehicle.
Old 10th November 2022, 00:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
This is surprising. Nexon is a pretty common car these days and if we go by the posts on this forum, the customers are quite a satisfied bunch. I personally use a Tigor and apart from it being under powered and the gear shifting not being as smooth as Maruti, I'd say I'm happy about the purchase.
I was equally surprised when the bunch asked me to evaluate Sonet, however they sighted features and after sales service for recommending Sonet. Eventually I went for Hector given my family’s preference for space and mine for Fiat Diesel.
Old 10th November 2022, 07:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Dear Dr. Aman Veer Singh,

I am a sufferer like you, fighting an MNC for a 30 lac SUV in which, rainwater seeped in within 8 days of delivery and that too, twice. Despite an initial fix, I refused the car and it’s lying with the dealer. My case is live. You have 2 options on hand:

1. I strongly recommend that you work with the dealer and the company - Tata Motors to resolve your replacement or compensation or refund solution as per your choice. My impression is that the Tata Group can be reached out to and will surely hear you as your case is genuine. Please reach out to senior Tata Motors personnel or to Tata Sons at Bombay House, which is their corporate HQ. Tweet to their chairman as well. Use social media to get yourself heard if required. Car reviewers can extend help to you as well as a courtesy and meanwhile, keep writing to the Tata management. This is the best option according to me. Make your own path by opening any door possible with all your positive energy.

You can also register a complaint with National Consumer Helpline (Jago Grahak Jago) on the number 1915 and they will raise your demand with the manufacturer (not the dealer) till they respond.

2. The second option is to approach the Consumer Court. The lawyer will send a legal notice. I am running a Consumer Case live in District Consumer Court Mumbai since September 2021. I left the car at the dealer and have been refusing to accept the defective car since then.

In my case, the dealer and the MNC are both acting tough and blaming each other despite my reaching out to their HQ located in Asia. I get a deaf ear despite several emails with well-shot video proof and costly ISD calls. The government machinery, whether it’s the Ministry of Heavy Industry or PMO or Ministry of Consumer Affairs, responds to us to help and it’s a welcome change in India, but no one can influence the steps the court takes.

The practical challenge is that the Consumer Protection Act 2019 is a very strong one, but the courts use the civil court judicial system in terms of process, which has many steps, rendering the task of achieving results impossible to achieve in 3 to 6 months or in a speedy manner as they aspire to do. In addition, Consumer Courts are short staffed and Presidents may be on leave as they may be handling more than one court. They will site infrastructure issues or caseloads or workloads or inadequate staff and even the State Commission, where I escalated the matter, agreed with this in favour of courts under them.

So currently we are far away from the day companies and dealers will dear the law. Instead, they will, if they want, waste time to get you tired and exit on your own by using the system to their advantage. In my case, the guys are nasty and delaying as much as possible. So If you don’t care about the time taken, which no practical person would not care about, go through the Consumer Court route. In hindsight, I would have taken a financial hit and sold the car at a loss to buy a new one from a better company. The financial hit would definitely have been worth my mental peace, my family’s mental peace and time lost using a good car and the work that suffered as I was distracted.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 22:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram35 View Post

I have zeored in on TATA Harrier XZM+, it will be a leased car.

There is nothing else available at this price, which is really good on Highways. Creta and Seltos are under powered, XUV has long waiting period, Jeep is overpriced. After Ford's exit, Fortuner is being sold as Luxury vehicle.
I would suggest not to fall for the sounds good on paper deal.Finally what matters is peace of mind.Go for the boring Hyundai or maruti/Toyota hybrid twin. I made a similar mistake while purchasing the dominar 400. Sounds good on paper for the price but in reality is a headache. Incidentally we had one of the first indigos -ac started emitting fume after a month and got the full amount refunded. Ages ago.
Senotrius is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks