Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 21:35   #1
BHPian

Microsoft's new Operating Systems for Automobiles

Guys,

Microsoft is introducing a new version of there WinCE operating system. they same base version they use for Windows mobile OS used in PDAs like O2 exec, Atom etc. They are working with a big players like Bosch, Clarion, Delphi, Denso, Siemens and Visteon. I was wondering what wud be our car's condition once it comes out with WinCE on board . They may ask u to press clutch, brake and accelerator to continue driving from the busy signal ... Or a dark blue screen on our face when we need to take a tight turn to avoid a collision ...
Old 1st July 2007, 13:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

One thing is certain, we will have to wait for service pack 1 !!
Old 1st July 2007, 13:47   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wince, eh? What genius/idiot marketing man thought that up? Maybe it was an Apple secret agent!

I rather expected this thread to be a repetition of the very old joke about how cars running under different OSs behave. You know the stuff... like the Windows car stops every so often and will not start again unless you return it back home and start the journey all over again; the engine runs faultlessly as long as you re-install it regularly; when the car just stops, mid journey, you pullover, everybody gets out, you unbolt all the seats, removeing them from the car and then replace them --- everything will be fine as long as you replaced them in a specific (but different to last time) order.

--- All that sort of stuff, which I admit dates back to W98 and before, but there is no way that I would buy a car that MS had contributed to (Oh! Please don't tell me already have without knowing it?).

One thing would probably still belong in the world of the old joke: security.

Daily, thieves would be discovering new ways into your car, and, after periods of denial, MS would be expecting us to upgrade patches to the doors, locks, etc etc.

And they'll stop 'supporting' your car after a couple of years and insist you buy a new one.

And sure, I'll stop for those pedestrians ahead --- just as soon as I find out which of these icons means Brake --- they've changed it the recent upgrade
Old 1st July 2007, 13:58   #4
BHPian

just curious are there any known viruses for these OS?
(If there are just think if the car goes crazy cause of the virus )
Old 1st July 2007, 14:13   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Unlike human viruses the software viruses do not propagate through air or proximity. They mainly catch on when some media containing the virus is used to load a software or else come via the Network. I do not see that happening to cars, unless of course your ECU connects to the Net to download an efficient mapping for a particular driving scenario or some such stuff. That will be pretty futuristic to imagine as yet.
Old 1st July 2007, 14:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

WinCE is pretty stable now.. Only problem I forsee is that pple will be hankering after the latest version/updates like they do with the WM phones.

As of now, there are no viruses loose.. Anyway, there are anti-virus software available already ..

Zappo.. they do propagate thru air.. via Bluetooth. I frequently get virus files on my phone, from Nokia phones nearby .. But they cant run on my XDA Atom..
Old 1st July 2007, 14:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Zappo.. they do propagate thru air.. via Bluetooth. I frequently get virus files on my phone, from Nokia phones nearby .. But they cant run on my XDA Atom..
Ok, by air I meant something like common cold virus, floating around in the air. Bluetooth is again some form of networking. And I do not see the car ECU connecting to another device via bluetooth, at least not in the immediate future. They are more like black boxes/sealed units. Most of the cars will run with the OEM install all through their lives, unless of course the manufacturer does a mass upgrade at the service station levels. Yes, stray people may do ECU remapping and stuff from outside for performance reasons but then there could be so many things that can screw things up in such cases. Virus threat can not be stated as an overwhelming factor.
Old 1st July 2007, 14:28   #8
BANNED

BSD, Crash, wince!!!
Old 1st July 2007, 14:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Maybe an infected CD/DVD could spread virus through your HU to the ECU ?!
Old 1st July 2007, 23:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't get as far as worrying about the virus.

I do not want anything microsoft in my car.
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I just hope it is as stable as WINDOWS XP.... 2 years still running same XP on laptop and 3 years same windows RUNNING on HOME PC.

And i am pretty sure it will come with pre sihpped "WINDOWS LIVE ONE CARE".

And there was a news earlier FIAT is partner with MS in this and it will be used in fiat future cars so no need to worry i suppose..
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:10   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
And there was a news earlier FIAT is partner with MS in this and it will be used in fiat future cars so no need to worry i suppose..
FIAT and Microsoft? Hmmmm... sounds like some potent fatal combination, this one is.
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:20   #13
BHPian

I heard MS Engineers busy at moving all device drivers to User space. So any attack will be less fatal; as in QNX OS, and a great level of fault tolerance. Chances of an attack will be limited to a sub system crash and the intruder will not get full access rights since the device he used for entry is in user space. So a reboot is not needed for an attack / system / communication error.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:28   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
WinCE is pretty stable now.. Only problem I forsee is that pple will be hankering after the latest version/updates like they do with the WM phones.

As of now, there are no viruses loose.. Anyway, there are anti-virus software available already ..

I have an atom and trust me there are a couple of nasty ones out there to attack windows mobile systems.
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

What if like the 'best microsoft o/s' even this hangs. ????

you can 'Alt+Ctl+Del' your car right ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks