Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2022, 10:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Help! Engine shut off & vibration issues after high pressure water wash

You were extremely lucky because such mistakes with today's era of modern engines can create financial havoc.
Well even at VW ASS engine compartment cleaning is done by diesel and not water. Water is put only on margins of bonnet to remove dust but never in the compartment.
steadfast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:53   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
The engine of the car began vibrating a lot, it appears that the car is running on two cylinders rather than three, I checked the power plugs of the injectors, checked the spark plugs, everything appears to be fine.
Been there, I own first gen Swift, during regular service in FNG the engine bay was pressure washed, even after telling them not to do so. When driving with 5 on board with luggages the car felt under powerd and having hickups when tried accelerating. This was the first time in 17 yrs of my car ownership I was experiencing this.
Was experiencing the ac compressor noise tick-tick sound and horn not working In slow moving traffic conditions. These all happened when driving to out of station.

Got to Authorized service centre next day which was happened to be in a highway, with just 2 on board, cold condition, trial ride failed to replicate even while trying multiple scenarios like sudden acceleration et al. Being Sunday and lesser folks to attend regular cars. I got air filter, spark plugs cleaned. While returning to home with full load experienced the same jumpy ride and loss of power ac noise et all, all these with 9kmpl for the highway trip, for which I'll usually get 14kmpl on average, It's a regular route for me once every 6 months, so I knew how much my car can yield.

Back in home town, took to authorized service where they heard the issue and road less than a km & the technician zeroed upon ignition coil, the spark plugs were not getting the power to ignite, so not all cylinders were firing, the additional load for drive belt that drives alternator and ac, was not getting enough juice hence ac compressor noise and horn not working.

Got 2 ignition coil replaced at cost of 2000 approx for each and my car now drives like brand new, was able to experience the G13b trackability even at low rpms, which is one of its strength.

So get the ignition coil cleaned up, drive around, even if you experience the same jumpy ride, replace it.

Happy mile munching.
raguprasad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:38   #18
BHPian

There are ways to wash the engine bay. It’s not that it can never be done but at the same time not too often. Diesels are definitely easier than petrols when it comes to washing as there are no coils and spark plugs. There are lots of You tube videos available online, one should definitely have a look before taking up the task.
1) It is very important to brush off dust, give a dry wipe or use a blower to unsettle the dirt, then cover all the vulnerable Electrical points/ fuse boxes / junctions and the air intake with plastic.

2) Then use an engine compartment cleaner STP/ liquimoly. Available on Amazon. Follow the instructions.

3) Then use a pressure washer only for short durations being careful not to focus extensively on a particular spot.

4) Follow up with removing all the plastic covering and then blow drying or compressed air for a few minutes, followed by a good wipe with a cloth.

You should not have any issues if this procedure is followed.

Last edited by KKapadia : 23rd October 2022 at 12:40. Reason: Spell
KKapadia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 14:17   #19
BHPian

Thank god Amitji

It was a very close shave if i may say.Allmighty, stars whatever is there, was kind to you & your vehicle.

While reading post, you mentioned diesel engine.
Also using it for min 3 years you mentioned.
My suggestion would be :
1)please read the owners manual if any completely.
2)Get to know your vehicle as much as possible.

There seemed to be some confusion about vehicle engine basic components. There are no spark plugs in diesel engine.

It is better to know few things, otherwise if something happens on highway, the mechanic can take one for a ride which may turn out to be very expensive.

As said, we love our cars but love them with knowledge.
Vijay T is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 15:11   #20
RRM
BHPian

I had a similar issue with first generation petrol Verna when I got it washed the Bay Area. The same day it was all good but next day vibration, engine missing etc started to surface.

Took it to ASSC and spark plug was the culprit due to the washing. Replaced all 4 and then it came back to its old form

After the incident, I took a pledge to not to wash engine bay ever rather to just get it air washed, always
RRM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 15:22   #21
BHPian

Unfortunate indeed.
Never pressure wash inside the engine bay.
Diesel engine doesn’t have spark plug .
Please take it to a competent garage.

Edit: Glad it’s solved after drying.

Last edited by rageshgr : 23rd October 2022 at 15:40.
rageshgr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 18:11   #22
Hbh

The same thing happened to my previous car. The temperature guage was reading high temp so after reaching home, I poured some water on the radiator and on top of the engine. I didn't know not to do this back then. When I started the car the next morning, I got the same symptoms. Car started fine but began vibrating and didn't want to rev at all. It was struggling to go upto 20kph.

It was solved by replacing all 4 spark plugs and ignition cables.
Hbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 21:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
You were extremely lucky because such mistakes with today's era of modern engines can create financial havoc.
Well even at VW ASS engine compartment cleaning is done by diesel and not water. Water is put only on margins of bonnet to remove dust but never in the compartment.
Yes, sir, I was very lucky, and I also gave thanks to God for saving me from suffering a great loss. I had washed the car many times at the service centre, but I was unaware that they used diesel to clean the engine. Your comment taught me something new. I appreciate you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
Been there, I own first gen Swift, during regular service in FNG the engine bay was pressure washed, even after telling them not to do so. When driving with 5 on board with luggages the car felt under powerd and having hickups when tried accelerating. This was the first time in 17 yrs of my car ownership I was experiencing this.
Was experiencing the ac compressor noise tick-tick sound and horn not working In slow moving traffic conditions. These all happened when driving to out of station.
Got to Authorized service centre next day which was happened to be in a highway, with just 2 on board, cold condition, trial ride failed to replicate even while trying multiple scenarios like sudden acceleration et al. Being Sunday and lesser folks to attend regular cars. I got air filter, spark plugs cleaned. While returning to home with full load experienced the same jumpy ride and loss of power ac noise et all, all these with 9kmpl for the highway trip, for which I'll usually get 14kmpl on average, It's a regular route for me once every 6 months, so I knew how much my car can yield.

Back in home town, took to authorized service where they heard the issue and road less than a km & the technician zeroed upon ignition coil, the spark plugs were not getting the power to ignite, so not all cylinders were firing, the additional load for drive belt that drives alternator and ac, was not getting enough juice hence ac compressor noise and horn not working.

Got 2 ignition coil replaced at cost of 2000 approx for each and my car now drives like brand new, was able to experience the G13b trackability even at low rpms, which is one of its strength.

So get the ignition coil cleaned up, drive around, even if you experience the same jumpy ride, replace it.

Happy mile munching.
Sir right now ignition coil is fine, by God's grace the car is now running like butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapadia View Post
There are ways to wash the engine bay. It’s not that it can never be done but at the same time not too often. Diesels are definitely easier than petrols when it comes to washing as there are no coils and spark plugs. There are lots of You tube videos available online, one should definitely have a look before taking up the task.
1) It is very important to brush off dust, give a dry wipe or use a blower to unsettle the dirt, then cover all the vulnerable Electrical points/ fuse boxes / junctions and the air intake with plastic.

2) Then use an engine compartment cleaner STP/ liquimoly. Available on Amazon. Follow the instructions.

3) Then use a pressure washer only for short durations being careful not to focus extensively on a particular spot.

4) Follow up with removing all the plastic covering and then blow drying or compressed air for a few minutes, followed by a good wipe with a cloth.

You should not have any issues if this procedure is followed.
I have tried many times to clean the engine with Blower but it doesn't work, it only blows the dust on top but it can't remove the frozen grease, black oil and caked mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay T View Post
Thank god Amitji

It was a very close shave if i may say.Allmighty, stars whatever is there, was kind to you & your vehicle.

While reading post, you mentioned diesel engine.
Also using it for min 3 years you mentioned.
My suggestion would be :
1)please read the owners manual if any completely.
2)Get to know your vehicle as much as possible.

There seemed to be some confusion about vehicle engine basic components. There are no spark plugs in diesel engine.

It is better to know few things, otherwise if something happens on highway, the mechanic can take one for a ride which may turn out to be very expensive.

As said, we love our cars but love them with knowledge.
Thank you Vijay T ji
Rightly said sir, the car should never cheat on the road, so it is necessary for us to have complete knowledge about the car. sure, sir, I will read the car's owners manual on this Sunday. sir I also try to get as much information as possible about our vehicles , so that the vehicle always runs smoothly and for a long life. There is no better platform than team BHP to learn more about vehicles sir. This is an outstanding platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
I had a similar issue with first generation petrol Verna when I got it washed the Bay Area. The same day it was all good but next day vibration, engine missing etc started to surface.

Took it to ASSC and spark plug was the culprit due to the washing. Replaced all 4 and then it came back to its old form

After the incident, I took a pledge to not to wash engine bay ever rather to just get it air washed, always
Same here dear, In future i would also air wash the engine or give it a leisurely clean with a microfiber cloth on a Sunday, It's better to spend a little extra time cleaning the engine with a cloth or air than to waste a day in the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Unfortunate indeed.
Never pressure wash inside the engine bay.
Diesel engine doesn’t have spark plug .
Please take it to a competent garage.

Edit: Glad it’s solved after drying.
Dear, Mine problem was fixed by simply exposing the air filter to the sun. This idea was also given by the team BHP members.Many thanks to the members of Team BHP, they gave valuable suggestions by taking out their valuable time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbh View Post
The same thing happened to my previous car. The temperature guage was reading high temp so after reaching home, I poured some water on the radiator and on top of the engine. I didn't know not to do this back then. When I started the car the next morning, I got the same symptoms. Car started fine but began vibrating and didn't want to rev at all. It was struggling to go upto 20kph.

It was solved by replacing all 4 spark plugs and ignition cables.
Dear I experienced the same issue. The car got sluggish and the engine started vibrating, but in my case the problem was resolved by just letting the air filter soak in sunlight. Sir never wash car engine with high pressure water ,I will give you the same suggestion

Last edited by amrit_bareta : 23rd October 2022 at 22:24.
amrit_bareta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 22:00   #24
BANNED

Is there any benefit of cleaning engine bay using water pressure wash or normal rinse. If not then how this practice is common. Slight pressure of water over condenser if fine. Rest seems unnecessary to me.
Chevyspark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 22:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyspark View Post
Is there any benefit of cleaning engine bay using water pressure wash or normal rinse. If not then how this practice is common. Slight pressure of water over condenser if fine. Rest seems unnecessary to me.
Sir, people (like me) who don't know what problems can occur after engine wash, they think that after engine wash, the engine will look new, the engine will shine, car will look new, no other benefits. But after the trouble I got, I also feel that there are more disadvantages than the advantages of washing the engine.
amrit_bareta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 00:44   #26
BHPian

Glad that things sorted for you.

I remember when one car wash guy used pressure washer on the engine bay of my Polo TSI. Thank God I didn't face any trouble whatsoever but since then I have never let anyone open the bonnet forget washing.

Another question I have for the experts, I have been told that you can use degreaser to clean engine bay, is it a good idea ?
Sahil00090 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks