Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 17:15   #1

New Tata Harrier broke down & got repaired | What proof can I get of the warranty replacement?

Hello everyone, My new Tata Harrier which has done less than 800 km apparently refused to start last week.

I called up the customer care and they got the car towed to a service station. The adviser claimed that it was an issue with the fuel pump. They said it had to be replaced and they ordered one from Pune. It took them 5 days to get the car back to me.

My issue is that I have not been provided with any documentation, pictures, or the replaced parts. Is this normal? The guy says that since the car is under warranty, the fuel pump will be sent to Pune.

What in your opinion should I ask for so as to ensure that they have done their job right and I don’t face this issue ever again? TIA
hunkydory is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Tata Harrier broke down & repaired: What proof can I get of the warranty replacement??

Even if under warranty, an invoice is normally provided - but with the price deducted for the part. Ask for this.

As long as the part has been replaced, you should be fine.

I have had a fuel pump replaced within one month in my previous Tata, many years back. Vehicle ran fine after that - last known odo reading was 2L km.
condor is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: New Tata Harrier broke down & repaired: What proof can I get of the warranty replacement??

Wow it seems like we have hit a thread a week on new Harriers that break down I wonder what it takes for Tata to act even a little shameful and issue a recall to rectify all vehicles that were launched and delivered prematurely without adequate testing. I hope they do this soon before launching any more black editions or dark editions or whatever they call it these days.
IshaanIan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I wonder what it takes for Tata to act even a little shameful and issue a recall to rectify all vehicles that were launched and delivered prematurely without adequate testing.
Recalls are done when the issue is with a certain component, when it occurs in multiple cars and the solution is clear. It should also be traceable to a certain amount of vehicles perhaps due to tracking in change management or by supply chain. But with these Harriers and Safari each car has a different issue to report and they will end up having to replace the whole car And that won't be a solution until they can get their production and quality control reach the consistency of the Germans and the Japanese. Having issues is acceptable, but that should also be consistent for effective redressal and to prevent future occurrences. Thats definitely not the case with Tata.

Last edited by audioholic : 25th October 2022 at 19:18.
audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkydory View Post
My issue is that I have not been provided with any documentation, pictures, or the replaced parts. Is this normal? The guy says that since the car is under warranty, the fuel pump will be sent to Pune.

What in your opinion should I ask for so as to ensure that they have done their job right and I don’t face this issue ever again? TIA
Many service centers keep the replaced part in the boot (have experienced this with VW and Maruti service centers); but it's not a norm but you can/could have asked them to show the replaced part. Or as @condor mentioned, they should be able to showcase an invoice citing the warranty based replacement.

As for whether the job was done correctly and you not facing it again; let's be honest - this is Tata and the Harrier's track record hasn't been that stellar to say the issue won't re-occur. Unfortunately only time will tell.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 20:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Warranty replacement parts will be documented and sent back to the factory, the vendor will foot the bill for it as far as I am aware.

If the vehicle is fixed and running well, forget about the incident and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th October 2022 at 10:16. Reason: Small formatting change
Kosfactor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 20:34   #7
BHPian

If the vehicle has to enter a service center, there must be a Job card. If there is a Job card, there must be an invoice. For every invoice, there should be a Gate pass, so the vehicle can go out.

So, you should get an invoice and a copy of Job Card. The gate pass gets snatched by the security though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Many service centers keep the replaced part in the boot (have experienced this with VW and Maruti service centers); but it's not a norm but you can/could have asked them to show the replaced part.
If the customer pays, they place the part in the boot.
If the showroom/Company pays, it goes to the company, for further investigations on quality/defects percentage analysis and for other reasons. So the manufacturer can better understand the suppliers actual quality levels and the potential impact to the brand.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 09:21   #8
RRM
BHPian

There should be a job card opened for the same as well as invoice should be shared with you as this is how they can track in system. Ask for it!

Moreover, all the issues related to the product is aptly documented in this forum as well as video evidences. There are many in other forums as well. It’s a ready made information. It’s just a matter of identifying the cause and put a permanent fix in place. How much time it takes TATA bhai to do an investigation and fix and recall as well as to make a trouble free experience? Vocal for local will fade away faster than you think!
RRM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:24   #9
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Tata Harrier broke down & got repaired | What proof can I get of the warranty replacement?

In my Figo, I've already had a couple things changed under warranty. They did not give it back to me, but instead they provided me an invoice with a zero on the spare part amount.

In my opinion, SC would have recorded the specifics for a free replacement. No cause for concern.

Is the fuel pump made by Fiat ?
RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:01   #10
BHPian

Re: New Tata Harrier broke down & got repaired | What proof can I get of the warranty replacement?

The parts replaced under warranty are not returned to customers , but returned to company as per info I got last time from service advisors.

Its only when parts are replaced at our cost , they are returned to us.

Having said that , even warranty replacements are invoiced ( with 0/- Re Bill ).
r24x7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata service centers provide an Invoice with the part number and name of the replaced part and cost as Rs.0 with a mention of Warranty/FOC in the invoice entry.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 23:46   #12

Re: New Tata Harrier broke down & repaired: What proof can I get of the warranty replacement??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post
If the customer pays, they place the part in the boot.
If the showroom/Company pays, it goes to the company, for further investigations on quality/defects percentage analysis and for other reasons. So the manufacturer can better understand the suppliers actual quality levels and the potential impact to the brand.
This is spot on accurate. I have serviced my Etios in 3 different dealerships during 5 years of ownership, due to shifting my house, convenience etc. For all the paid replacements (filters, wipers etc.), the old parts always ended in my boot even without me asking for them.

I used to get 'check engine error' on rare cold-starts. The car never broke down or completely fail to turn on. As the car was under company lease, I took the matter to Master Technician of the service center, only verbal discussions, no written communications. The ECU was replaced as a 'good-will gesture' from TKM, for free and the old part was sent to TKM plant for further analysis. I was given the invoice though.

As for the issue, it never resurfaced after ECU replacement. It's been driven 20,000km more after the replacement and I've driven the car for > 1000km continuously, on multiple occasions, without any problems whatsoever.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks