Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Oil pressure warning light

Old Ambassadors used to include an oil pressure gauge in the dashboard.
Modern cars have dispensed this to save cost.

Instead they include a tiny red electronic bulb to warn low oil pressure.
Manual says if the light comes on, stop immediately or you'll damage the engine seriously.

i.e. without oil, pistons will stuck inside cylinder bore!
Now my question is, at what level, the warning light comes up?
If the light ever comes up, how soon one need to stop?

I searched on it on Google, but surprisingly, many sites say if the light ever comes up it means already some damage has been done to engine!

I doubt how many of us check dipstick even every fortnight!

PS: How much does it cost to fit an oil pressure gauge?

Last edited by sbasak : 2nd July 2007 at 13:34.
Old 4th July 2007, 11:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

During my last oil change, the oil pressure light stayed on for atleast 4 seconds after start. But, the dipstick showed a reading between max and min.
When i drained the old oil , i noticed that there wasn't sufficient oil in the sump.

During my new oil fill, 3 litres went in before checking the dipstick. The oil level is about 3mm higher than the max mark.And the specified engine oil capacity for my ikon's 1.3 is 3.8L. Im puzzled with this misleading dipstick!
Old 13th November 2023, 08:25   #3
BHPian

Re: Oil pressure warning light

Bumping this thread as I do not find any related to a Corolla Altis.

My car runs on Amsoil Signature engine oil. The level of oil is up to the maximum level and there are no leakages around the filter or elsewhere.

On Saturday while I was entering my office complex which is at first a moderately steep incline and then a slope, I stalled the car owing to acute two-wheeler traffic around the car to avoid scratches. Then when I was starting again, the low oil pressure light came on and immediately went away. All this stalling - starting - light coming up and going away happened in an instant second. It did not come up thereafter. There are no performance issues (power, economy, roughness etc.) either. No error codes on OBD scanner.

Should I forget about it or should I replace the oil pump straight away?
Old 13th November 2023, 13:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post

That is a tricky one. The low oil pressure only comes on when there is too low oil pressure. (Duh).

There could be different reasons for it
- too low oil level
- problems with the oil filter
- problems with the strainer on the oil pump inlet in the sump
- problem with the oil pressure sensor
- problems in the wiring of the oil pressure light
- problems with the pump.

As your oil pressure light went out again, it is very likely everything is ok. But so far you have only ruled out one possible cause.

Replacing the oil pump should be a last resort, you need to get all other possible causes checked first. If anything they all will be a lot cheaper to fix too.

Good luck
Jeroen
Old 13th November 2023, 13:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping this thread as I do not find any related to a Corolla Altis.

My car runs on Amsoil Signature engine oil. The level of oil is up to the maximum level and there are no leakages around the filter or elsewhere.

On Saturday while I was entering my office complex which is at first a moderately steep incline and then a slope, I stalled the car owing to acute two-wheeler traffic around the car to avoid scratches. Then when I was starting again, the low oil pressure light came on and immediately went away. All this stalling - starting - light coming up and going away happened in an instant second. It did not come up thereafter. There are no performance issues (power, economy, roughness etc.) either. No error codes on OBD scanner.

This is normal. Don't worry about it.
Old 14th November 2023, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
As your oil pressure light went out again, it is very likely everything is ok. But so far you have only ruled out one possible cause.

Replacing the oil pump should be a last resort, you need to get all other possible causes checked first. If anything they all will be a lot cheaper to fix too.

Good luck
Jeroen
Are there any "feelable" symptoms of this while driving? I see no fault codes on the scanner or the car's own diagnostic system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
This is normal. Don't worry about it.
I forgot to add a fact that - the moment when the incident happened, the car was on the incline. Is it why you are saying this is normal?
Old 14th November 2023, 20:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I forgot to add a fact that - the moment when the incident happened, the car was on the incline. Is it why you are saying this is normal?
Given the low oil pressure sign was short lived and went back normal, the incline is a definite suspect for the issue with the vehicle's angle and how that played for the Oil pressure sensor's detection. I believe you will be able to repro this symptom again in that kind of topography that you were incidentally in, when it happened. That might be a good way to validate.

Last edited by TheCamShaft : 14th November 2023 at 20:14.
Old 14th November 2023, 20:33   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any "feelable" symptoms of this while driving? I see no fault codes on the scanner or the car's own diagnostic system.

Unfortunately by the time you start to hear or feel a problem with the oil pump or oil pressure you are way too late. It’s going to get very expensive.

Incline should not have any influence on oil pressure at all! Usually the sump has a low spot in it where the suction pipe and oil strainer sits. So the suction inlet should never ever dip below the level of the oil. Only if the oil level was very low to start with, this might happen.

Remember oil level has nothing to do with oil pressure. By the time your oil pressure light comes in due to low level of oil, the level will be way below the minimum on your dipstick. Your dipstick might not even show oil at all!

Under such extreme circumstances inclines might be an issue. But again, under normal circumstance even with oil level just under the minimum on the dipstick an incline should not cause the pressure to drop!

Jeroen
Old 15th November 2023, 11:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You stalled the car, the oil pump stopped working, the light came on because your ignition was in the ON position. You started the car again, it stayed for less than a second, the pressure built up and its gone.

I think sounds perfectly normal to me.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks