Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 19:24   #1

Cabin vibrations on my 2017 used Corolla altis diesel

Good evening!
I'm excited to be on this forum writing my first query!.
I own a used 2017 altis diesel that has done 60000kms till date.
I've been having a peculiar cabin vibration that creeps up on me between 1700-2100 rpms.
This vibration comes only on the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears in the above said rpm range.
Also, this happens only after the engine is sufficiently warmed up.
The issue I'm facing is that this vibration does not happen always, but once it starts, it continues the whole day.
The dilemma I'm facing is that the authorised Toyota service centre does not have the roads to go in these gears for them to deduce the issue.
Also, I'm worried that if this might be a major issue.

I'm looking to hear some valuable advice from you guys on how to take this forward.
Prasvenk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 22:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cabin vibrations on my 2017 used Corolla altis diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasvenk View Post
- 2017 altis diesel that has done 60000kms till date.
- peculiar cabin vibration that creeps up on me between 1700-2100 rpms, only on the 4th, 5th, and 6th gears in this rpm range, only after the engine is sufficiently warmed up.
Welcome aboard, Prasvenk. I have some experience driving and maintaining a friend's 2010 Altis diesel that had done a mere 36,000km when sold in end-2014. I never quite liked the way the car drove - high turbo lag, weird noises in the cabin in the 4th and 5th gears when run at low rpms and speeds upto 70kmph. After the turbo kicked in, the car would perform just the opposite. Some of my observations on that car are summarised here. My thoughts are as follows:

1. You're facing these vibrations in the time the turbo hasn't kicked in, and post 2100rpm when the turbo kicks in, this vanishes.
2. Are you lugging the engine?
3. There is nothing wrong with the engine mounts given that your car is just 5.

To sum up, I think what you're experiencing is "Altis Diesel nature".

Last edited by vigsom : 27th October 2022 at 23:04.
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 07:55   #3

Good morning vigsom !
It's great to hear from you.
I've been following your threads on Pajero and altis and wanted to hear from you regarding this.

To answe your questions..
1- I feel yes, the vibrations vanishes when the rpms go above 2100 in the 4,5, and 6 gears.
2 - No, i don lugg the engine. The vibrations crop up under normal sedate driving.

Is there a way to bring down these vibrations?
Sometimes these vibrations are felt on us inside the car that gets bit irritating to drive.
Old 2nd November 2022, 16:59   #4

This is an update regarding the vibrations on my Corolla.
I have given the vehicle at the ASC for its due service, and the technicians are suggesting to open the clutch to isolate the issue( if the culprit are thrust bearings) or any abnormal wear in it.
Frankly, i feel the removal of the transmission system for this is unsettling for me and with my little knowledge i feel the clutch is not the issue here.
This is why I feel so ---

1- The engine does not raise during gear shifts.
2- After driving about 10k in the vehicle, i feel the clutch is way better in feel when comparing to ky fiesta diesel and Honda City diesel.

Kindly advice on how to go forward regarding this issue.
Old 25th November 2022, 08:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Welcome aboard, Prasvenk. I have some experience driving and maintaining a friend's 2010 Altis diesel that had done a mere 36,000km when sold in end-2014. I never quite liked the way the car drove
Good morning vigsom

I strongly feel that what I'm experiencing is not the normal diesel nature of altis.
This vibration is specific and the ASC recommend o overhauling the clutch which I was strongly against.
They removed the clutch and inspected it - it was fine !
But since this is the second time they're facing - first being an etios diesel with the same complaint for which they overhauled the clutch.
Problem as they claim seems to have vanished.

My dilema is as below -

1. Do i overhaul the clutch inspite of it being in good condition?
2. Do i go swallow the bitter pill and ride with the same agony for a while? (which I'm not prepped for.)
3. Are there any qualified people whom you can recommend to isolate this issue ?

Hoping you'd provide me with a helpful advice on how to take this ahead.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th November 2022 at 08:56. Reason: broken quote tag fixed and quote content trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks